Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Replacement Air

Megan
2006-08-13, 6:53pm
Well since my electric bills are sky high, we are thinking about moving my studio to the garage. I have no problem with the ventilation, figured that out.. Figured out how to store my propane outside.. but I am trying to figure out replacement air..

I was hoping to be able to torch with the garage door closed and our window air conditioning unit going.. This probably sounds like a dumb question but is the window air unit considered replacement air? I don't know the mechanics of AC units, I am not sure if it draws air from outside or inside.. and if it is, is it enough. I am just running 1 minor torch and a 600 CFM ventilation setup from Glasscraft.

Dale M.
2006-08-13, 8:34pm
A air conditioning units whether window or central is NOT a source for replacement air for studio ventilation... Air conditioners of most types including window units only recirculate room air..... You will need a separate source of make up air!...

But there is a solution... Bring outside air into bench area below flame area so you are only cycling "make up" air through "combustion" area and not pulling AC (chilled) air out of room....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=150

Check second picture in series....

Dale

Megan
2006-08-13, 8:47pm
None of the photos are showing up.. :-(

Now they are showing up.. Silly AOL won't show the photos..

e. mort
2006-08-14, 11:24am
Yeah, what he said. I wish I had been able to do it that way, but unfortunately you are supposed to have 10 linear feet between exhaust exit and make up air intake and there was just no way I could do that with my garage. So, I suck in all that hot humid Austin air accross the room, and across me before it goes up the exhaust vent. Also, I put a/c filters over my intake vents since there is so much dust in our area, so I had to make my intakes a lot bigger than my vent exhaust. My exhaust is 12" by 12", but I have two intake vents that are that size. You can check out my vent and hood placement in the studio thread that was started by me.

MikeAurelius
2006-08-14, 12:10pm
"If it was easy, everyone would do it correctly"

Maybe not an exact quote, but you should get the idea.

JudithB
2006-09-11, 4:06pm
Dale, I can't see any of the pictures.
Is there maybe a problem with the original posting or is it my puter?

Dale M.
2006-09-11, 9:04pm
Dale, I can't see any of the pictures.
Is there maybe a problem with the original posting or is it my puter?

You probably need it register or login on site to see pictures, if you have not previously registered or done login.... IF you are registered and can't see then its a browser problem on yourr "puter"...

Dale

jokersdesign
2006-09-11, 9:28pm
[QUOTE=meganbushfl]Well since my electric bills are sky high, we are thinking about moving my studio to the garage. QUOTE]

How would moving into the garage save your electric bill from being sky high?

Just Nancy
2006-09-12, 4:52am
I'm with Dale. Bring the replacement air in closer to the torch if possible.

Good luck figuring out how. I'm more worried about heating than cooling (no a/c yet.) I'm in a machine shop and for winter I have pvc that will be installed to come down through the ceiling (open to the loft in the barn). It will provide most of my make up air. I got the idea from someone on ISGB who was venting in and out the same window to eliminate exhausting air from the whole room.

MikeAurelius
2006-09-12, 6:41am
Bringing in replacement air is no more difficult than ducting exhaust air out.

The easy way is to just open a door/window.

To take into consideration heating/cooling, you essentially have to duct your replacement air directly to the workstation - this can be done with round or rectangular ducting. It can go along the ceiling, in corners, where ever you can duct it that is the most direct route.

My suggestion is that if you are using 8" round ducting to exhaust your bad air, that you use 10" round or 8 x 12 or larger rectangular ducting for your fresh air. Working with rectangular ducting isn't that difficult, it usually comes in two halves that have to be snapped together. Multiple sections are held together with a slide strip, and foil duct tape. 90 degree bends are easily accomplished by cutting into the side of an existing duct section and bending back the edge to provide a joint that can be slide stripped together and foil taped.

I suggest that people spend as much time assembling fresh air intake ducting as they do exhaust air ducting. It's two halves of the same system. Both halves need the same thought, time and energy.

(And I really wasn't joking about my comment above.)

MikeAurelius
2006-09-12, 6:42am
I'm with Dale. Bring the replacement air in closer to the torch if possible.

Good luck figuring out how. I'm more worried about heating than cooling (no a/c yet.) I'm in a machine shop and for winter I have pvc that will be installed to come down through the ceiling (open to the loft in the barn). It will provide most of my make up air. I got the idea from someone on ISGB who was venting in and out the same window to eliminate exhausting air from the whole room.

Nancy, you and I have discussed this privately, but maybe you could post how you are doing this so that other people could think about your system as a possible resolution to their problem with fresh air.

Megan
2006-09-12, 5:51pm
[QUOTE=meganbushfl]Well since my electric bills are sky high, we are thinking about moving my studio to the garage. QUOTE]

How would moving into the garage save your electric bill from being sky high?

Hi,

My studio is in my dining room and we have to open windows to exhaust out of and another window to bring in replacement air. We are in Florida and if I turned off my air, it would be 95 degrees in here.. So I keep my air on and it works harder to keep up as all the coldness is going out the window.

If I move to the garage, it is not air conditioned out there, just a window unit and also have the ability out there to put in something more permanent.. I couldn't imagine making holes in my dining room wall..

Megan