Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : New Tool

LadyCrow
2006-08-15, 6:59am
:waving: I was in Home Depot this weekend and I found a new tool. In the paint dept. they have a Can opener for the Paint cans for less then 2.00. It's made of SS and has a nice flat back to it, as well as a little hook like end, that is good for pushing the glass around. It may not be for everyone, but so far, so good. If nothing else buy DH a can of paint and give tool to him....lol
Margie :)

Weskone
2006-08-15, 7:51am
it sounds interesting..can you show a picture of it :rolleyes:

LadyCrow
2006-08-15, 9:44am
these are bad photos but my camera battery was almost dead.3790037899
Also here is SS tongs I bought at CVS pharmacy for $1.99

Rose Leslie
2006-08-15, 9:52pm
You are getting as bad as I am. Every time I go into a place I have to check out any thing that could be used for tools. Thanks for the ideas.

LadyCrow
2006-08-16, 6:01am
Oh I look everywhere. It's good excersise,up and down the isles. It doesn't matter if it is the dollar store or the pharmacy, I'm always on a hunt for the next perfect tool, or anything I can use in my "studio" space. :)

Slaterville
2006-08-18, 10:23am
Very good idea. What a great find!!! :)

MistyCherie
2006-08-18, 9:17pm
Hehehe. I am the same way. DH just shakes his head and smiles at me. We were at Crate and Barrel and I bought some mini tongs in there - stainless steel and they were like 5 bucks a pair. One was round with the center round section cut out and the other was nice for making small tabs.

beadygirl
2006-09-02, 8:51pm
ok, here's one for ya! Speaking of having teenagers and new tools...if you've got a teenage GIRL, and they are anything like mine, I'm sure you've gone through your fair share of hair crimpers and curling irons. Well just the other day I was cleaning out a closet and found some interchangable pieces for a crimper/straightener my daughter used to have. The wand part is long gone, but for some reason I saved the pieces that went to it. I was about to throw them out when a light bulb went off! They can be used as marvers. They are about the same size as the "holy roller". There are three or four of them, two pieces for each pattern. They make for some pretty interesting roller tools. And would probably work well as mashers, but I gave half of each set to a friend to try. We both love them. Now I'm going to have to go looking at the NEW crimpers to see what else is out on the market! :-)
I'll try to post pics after the weekend when the in-laws leave!

sislonski
2006-09-04, 12:37pm
Humm....you could probably get crimpers real cheap at garage sales too!

I think I threw some out way back before I started making beads. I had left the darn thing plugged in and it melted the whole thing. So I had the replacements but eventually threw them out.

LadyCrow
2006-09-06, 5:30pm
I can't wait to see what the crimpers do...Post those pics..lol

dhare09
2007-02-27, 8:40pm
Cool...for once I actualy have something I don't have to pay for...a paint can opener.
BTW.........>>>>> you can get them FREE at THD or Lowe's but you didn't hear it from moi.

Elegance_1
2007-02-28, 12:56pm
Me thinks me smells a trip to the hardware store this evening!!!! hehehe:badgrin:

I've done the same thing at Home Depot. I have even found copper wire to use for chain links and wire wrapping.

CO_Phantom
2007-03-01, 11:03pm
I always spy around HD or Lowes looking for stuff I can use for my beads. Copper tubing, wire, mesh, various patina chemicals. Then, of course, while I"m there I pick up ideas on what I can do with my bathroom at home...how to redecorate the living room....yeah, it's bad.

-Amy

greentigerbeads
2007-03-05, 6:09pm
I always look for tools--I bought two stainless steel spatulas at the Dollar Tree, and I use them to "pat down" beads. Ditto for an ice cream scoop--just right for holding frit, and a stainless steel fork makes a great marver.

I made a rod rest by combining two huge bolts and a wing nut together.

I also bought a brass dapping block and a set of punches for about $18 on eBay, and the dapping block, used for forming sterling beads, is great for 1) forming beads and 2) holding small quantities of frit or mica powder. And I suspect the punches might come in handy when my partner gets into the scuptural work she has been itching to start!

ltsexpressions
2007-03-20, 6:02pm
Hehehe. I am the same way. DH just shakes his head and smiles at me. We were at Crate and Barrel and I bought some mini tongs in there - stainless steel and they were like 5 bucks a pair. One was round with the center round section cut out and the other was nice for making small tabs.

mine does the same thing, then mumbles something about "globs of glass"

but then he comes home from HD, Lowe's, etc w/misc possible toolage sometimes too!!! :koolaid:

cakelady
2008-11-14, 9:24am
I found these at walmart. =D> They are suppose to be ice tongs. Looks like bead tongs to me. Now if I can figure out how to make them work. I think I am pressing to hard.
Maybe I shouldn't press. Next I am going to try just setting them in there.
Any idea's??? 145155
In the photo you also see my new armrests. My son made them for me. I love them and they are adjustable. What a smart kid.

blong2001
2008-11-14, 10:01am
Your armrests are cool! Very good idea.

Beth

debim
2008-11-14, 1:33pm
I found these too and thought they were the next best thing to chocolate! I think I need to bend them a bit to get them to line up properly, but I'm not sure how to do that.

For those of you who make gadgets into bead presses etc - please explain to me which side to bend in which direction. And, they are very sturdy, any ideas on what to use to bend them with that wouldn't leave lots of dings in them. They just aren't hand malleable.

Thanks for your help!

I found these at walmart. =D> They are suppose to be ice tongs. Looks like bead tongs to me. Now if I can figure out how to make them work. I think I am pressing to hard.
Any idea's??? 145155
In the photo you also see my new armrests. My son made them for me. I love them and they are adjustable. What a smart kid.

Pickledkitty
2008-11-18, 4:18pm
Ideas for tools on the cheap... my kind of thread! Not that I have done any glass melting yet, but using tools from one "craft" (Hardware store) to another is awesome. Anyone ever try stainless steel crochet hooks for pulling the glass around. The itty-bitty hooked thread ones? Paint key is the "official" name. I never knew I had to unlock my paint cans! ;p

!ngridh
2008-11-20, 9:00pm
:waving: I was in Home Depot this weekend and I found a new tool. In the paint dept. they have a Can opener for the Paint cans for less then 2.00. It's made of SS and has a nice flat back to it, as well as a little hook like end, that is good for pushing the glass around. It may not be for everyone, but so far, so good. If nothing else buy DH a can of paint and give tool to him....lol

LOL well now that you put it that way...ok I have to admit...ME TOO! but you didn't have to just come out and SAY IT! did you? I like being in denial ;-))))):poke:

char
2008-11-21, 1:29pm
I just had to check this out my hubby is a commercial painter and I have seen this laying around in his things thanks for the tip :lol:

cakelady
2008-12-31, 7:22am
My husband just gave me another great tool. It's a pick and
hook set made by Stanley. He said he got it from Walmart in the tools department, and they didn't cost much. YEAH! They come in packs of four,small and perfect for my flowers.They look like dentental tools.
I guess it's suppose to be use for electrical wire stuff. Wish I had
batteries for my camera would be easier to show you. Hope
you like them as much as I do.

thebeadlady
2009-01-02, 10:23am
Princess Auto has great sets of picks I guess different shapes, some with little scoops, different points. I think they were $3.00 for the sets. Each set has 6 double ended tools. Love them.
I also found some interesting items in the fishing stores around here. They tie their own flies for fly fishing and yep they got some neat tools too.
Karen

firegoddess41
2009-01-03, 8:18pm
My husband just gave me another great tool. It's a pick and
hook set made by Stanley. He said he got it from Walmart in the tools department, and they didn't cost much. YEAH! They come in packs of four,small and perfect for my flowers.They look like dentental tools.
I guess it's suppose to be use for electrical wire stuff. Wish I had
batteries for my camera would be easier to show you. Hope
you like them as much as I do.

you want to make sure they are NOT plated otherwise a big hot sticky mess.

vepaints
2009-01-05, 2:45pm
I love to go to Harbor Frieght, they have lots of tools, I found a smasher in the welding dept. and heavy pliers too. cheap cheap

hotblubonnet
2009-01-05, 3:05pm
Any idea's??? 145155

hey i have those same tongs!

my spouse bent the ends just a tad so they come together more "flat" and not closer at one end than the other

cakelady
2009-01-05, 5:08pm
Yeah I love those tongs. I am starting to make really good looking beads with them. I found out if you lay the glass in and go from side to side towards your mandrel , then from front to back away from the mandrel you can get a nicely shaped bead. I did have to have my son bend them just a little.

Mitosis Glass
2009-01-07, 1:17pm
Cakelady, your son could probably make money by creating customized armrests on here. Those look like a great idea!

cakelady
2009-01-07, 7:39pm
Wow thats funny, I told him the same thing. He just laughed. He says I have to say that because Iam his mom. He is so funny, can't wait to show him your post. Thanks.

Sharon Abood
2009-01-11, 8:29am
Any idea's??? 145155

What a clever son you have! He could make a fortune selling those arm rests.

cakelady
2009-01-11, 9:23am
Thanks . I think Iam really lucky , he is a great kid. He has made so many nice pieces. The table that has all my stuff on is made by him. He even put wheels on it.I've been telling him he has a gift with wood and really wish he would use it. Maybe if you all help me push him, we might be able to get him to do it. HA!Ha!

donia
2009-01-15, 10:47am
Wow thats funny, I told him the same thing. He just laughed. He says I have to say that because Iam his mom. He is so funny, can't wait to show him your post. Thanks.

He has a little gold mine I'm sure just right here on this forum with selling them. Heck, I have the Creation Station and still can't get a comfortable fit. I've resorted to just pushing them out of my way. I'd disconnect it but my son seems to use it.

Frit Diva
2009-01-15, 12:17pm
Cakelady, what material is the curved part where your arm lays? I agree, those arm rests look very cool!

Jo

p.s. Another great source for glass pressing tools is the antique/junk stores! Old kitchen tools, old workshop tools. The great thing about really old tools is they are more likely to be steel, and if they are plated, it's very easy to tell. I always root through the junk boxes at garage sales/flea markets as well.

cakelady
2009-01-15, 6:35pm
I had to ask my son. HA HA! It is PVC pipe cut in half. Would have never guess it myself. He is so darn smart.

mewsicmama
2009-01-25, 2:21pm
How old is your son? Just curious - my youngest one did some really great things with wood in H.S. woodshop. I absolutely adore the armrests he made for you. I have a creation station too and hope to be able to use it when My work area is finally set up. I may come pestering you and your son!

All my best to you both ~

cakelady
2009-01-25, 9:19pm
My son is a senior in HS. This is his last year.:-({|= It's sad, he has grown up so fast. His dad taught him how to work with wood when he was really young. Now my husband says he has a talent for it, even better then his. Only problem is ,he is really shy. He thinks people are just being nice.

The Glass Chef
2009-06-28, 5:49am
Awwwwww. He sounds so sweet!

Aretz
2009-07-04, 12:31am
American Science & Surplus is a great place to find tools too. They have the most awesome (and weird) stuff you've ever seen at prices that are hard to beat.

I have three pairs of ten inch steel tweezers (http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=search&utm_content=cf&utm_campaign=celsearchtest&formfield1234567891=251&formfield1234567892=6&formfield1234567894=&term=93236&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0) with really pointy tips, diamond files (http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=search&utm_content=cf&utm_campaign=celsearchtest&formfield1234567891=43&formfield1234567892=6&formfield1234567894=&term=89397&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0) I use to clean out bead holes and round up rough edges, large curved and straight hemostats (http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=search&utm_content=cf&utm_campaign=celsearchtest&formfield1234567891=84&formfield1234567892=6&formfield1234567894=&term=23652&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0), and steel sculpting tools (http://www.sciplus.com/search.cfm?utm_source=internal&utm_medium=search&utm_content=cf&utm_campaign=celsearchtest&formfield1234567891=61&formfield1234567892=6&formfield1234567894=&term=89330&btnHand.x=0&btnHand.y=0).

Ruth Nichols
2009-07-07, 5:52pm
Oh I look everywhere. It's good excersise,up and down the isles. It doesn't matter if it is the dollar store or the pharmacy, I'm always on a hunt for the next perfect tool, or anything I can use in my "studio" space. :)

I got "The Perfect Tool!" :lol: :lol:

Isn't it fun to look for that one elusive glass tool? I still have the first tool I discovered to use with molten glass... a stainless steel oyster shucker! Have not used it in ages.... but still got it in the studio some place.

lunamoonshadow
2009-07-12, 2:07pm
Ruf, are you making the "PERFECT TOOL" to fit the cricket???

Ruth Nichols
2009-07-12, 2:12pm
I can check on that for you on Monday Luna.