Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : couple of questions about special boro

suzanne
2006-08-16, 11:31am
Hi,

I won a fabulous prize from Nagibeads, a big huge box full of shorts, and special colors. I got pink, purple, soft yellow, light blue and a beautifull rustbrown color rods, they are kinda flat on one side and about 4 inches long. What type of boro is this, and how do I use it, hot, not hot, freakin hot or in between

Also, I think there are even some gunmounts in there ( little fat squarish rods in purple, olivegreen,and pink). How do I use those, and do I anneal them at the same temperature as all other boro glass?
Thanks!

Suzanne

suzanne
2006-08-16, 11:34am

dogmaw
2006-08-16, 12:10pm
Oh wow, you are a lucky dog! I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with it.

Karen Hardy
2006-08-16, 4:45pm
Heya Suzanne!
Color me green - what a great prize!

The ones that are about 4" long and squarish (flat on one side) sound like borosticks. You can work most of those like regular boro (I think a few of the colors I have bubble a bit if it gets too hot). They tend to burn out a bit of the color if you heat them too much too. I use them as bases for some of the frits - since the colors are kind of pastelly when they get hot and look nice as a background.

The gunmounts you can use like regular boro too. You might want to hold them in the tweezers (keep the tweezers out of the flame - or you can kiss them goodbye) and punty them up to a clear rod to make them easier to work with.

I usually anneal the borosticks and the gunmounts around 1050 - and I've had no problems with them.

Have fun with your box o' goodies!

Hi,

I won a fabulous prize from Nagibeads, a big huge box full of shorts, and special colors. I got pink, purple, soft yellow, light blue and a beautifull rustbrown color rods, they are kinda flat on one side and about 4 inches long. What type of boro is this, and how do I use it, hot, not hot, freakin hot or in between

Also, I think there are even some gunmounts in there ( little fat squarish rods in purple, olivegreen,and pink). How do I use those, and do I anneal them at the same temperature as all other boro glass?
Thanks!

Suzanne

rusticstudio
2006-08-17, 10:55am
wow! you lucky duck! enjoy!

boroburner
2006-08-22, 12:39am
(keep the tweezers out of the flame - or you can kiss them goodbye) !
lol
ive dont that!
B