Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Amazon Bronze headache.....

e. mort
2006-08-16, 6:33pm
I have been playing with Amazon Bronze but no matter how I work it (oxidizing or neutral flame) I still get spitting sparking, and pitting on my finished piece. The only way I can avoid this is by encasing it, and that isn't the look that I am going for. Anybody have any tips for working with this stuff?

Thanks!

Mr. Smiley
2006-08-16, 6:39pm
Yeah, the pitting and all that is part of it. It's got sooo much metal. Try working it really hot and oxydized. When the piece is done, flash it in a reduction flame. This will bring the metals to the surface. The look of this color is not smooth, but it's one of my favorites! :D

hotflashwanda
2006-08-16, 6:41pm
I get a cool metallic raku look without too much pitting, etc. if the piece is heated rather far out in the flame. I don't have much spitting or sparking when I am using it for beads, and it may be that my flame is smaller than what you are probably using. Maybe work slower/cooler?
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com

Mr. Smiley
2006-08-16, 6:44pm
11734 11733

Here are some examples of how I like to use it. ;)

hotflashwanda
2006-08-16, 6:44pm
LOL, talk about getting contradictory advice! :-) It is so funny when people ask questions like this as the responses are all over the board. Let us know what you end up doing, it could be entirely different! :-) Hi, Brent!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com

hotflashwanda
2006-08-16, 6:47pm
Oooooh, those are gorgeous, Brent! :-) I end up with more of an iridescent bronzey orange color with shiny green with my method. I like your pink tones! Gonna have to try that!!
Anita
www.fireflybeads.com

Mr. Smiley
2006-08-16, 6:51pm
I was just thinking I'd try it your way too! :lol: I guess there really is no wrong way to work a boro color if you like the results. ;)

IF-Designs
2006-08-16, 7:09pm
I can use it in beads just fine but anything larger and i have the same problem eric :) but I love what your doing with it Brent! those ornaments are gourgeous!

e. mort
2006-08-17, 9:13am
Thanks everybody! Off to try it now.

Eric

Ro
2006-08-17, 9:40am
i have had some cracking issues with this color, thin encased, anyone else?
ro

boroburner
2006-08-19, 10:29am
Hiya,

I love this color, used it quite a bit, usually the 82 grit powder.

Ive found i always get texture on the surface, due (like smiley said) to the metal content. I get the best results by turning my oxy way up 40psi on my mirage. Work way out in the flame, do all your shaping, and reduce at the very end to luster it and draw out the metals. I have found it really difficult to get consistant color between pieces.

My avatar piece is AB. I got a matte finish on the handle(reduced more) and a very metalic raku, my favorite for this color, for the ball.

This piece is AB on the foot, lid, and bowl, and amazon night for the stem/top.

Ro- ive found i get cracking if i overwork the piece, apply my color to thick, or of course drop my piece=)

Hope this helps.
B

e. mort
2006-08-19, 8:40pm
Very cool stuff. I still haven't gotten it to do what I want yet, but I am not giving up on it either.

boroburner
2006-08-19, 11:10pm
Try using amazon night to check that your flame is neutral, before you start with the bronze. Night is super reactive and is a good indicator of what enviroment your flame is at.
B

Mr. Smiley
2006-08-20, 4:46am
Eric... what are you wanting it to do?

e. mort
2006-08-20, 10:11am
Eric... what are you wanting it to do?

Your stuff looks shiney, mine looks totally matt when I am finished. I will post some pics later today. It does look kind of cool imploded though.

Eric

boroburner
2006-08-20, 12:22pm
Ur reducing to much.
B

Mr. Smiley
2006-08-20, 1:32pm
Yeah, yoou much reduction. Just flash it and check it out. You can always go back in the flame for more... can't undo it though. I don't really like this color encased... I like the surface work I've done with it alot though.

e. mort
2006-08-20, 1:55pm
Ok, here is what I am getting. The first heart has dots of clear over AB,the second is AB imploded, and the third heart is just AB. The second picture is a close-up of the third heart.

Thanks for all your feedback.

Eric

boroburner
2006-08-20, 2:09pm
Use amazon night to test ur flame. Night has a very high metal content so itll start to build crystals almost imediatly if you have a reducing flame. Once you can put night into the flame and have it stay black you have a true oxydizing flame. work the AB in this flame. Do all your shaping, color application etc with this flame. Once everything is done reduce the piece, simply flash it, dont get it hot enough to make anything move. I do about 3-4 sec at a time and check my development, then back in if i want more growth. Its helpful to look at your piece in hologen light during this process.
B

Rose Leslie
2006-08-20, 2:24pm
Well, I don't know what you are dithering about. I like them. Espelcially the one heart that is in the middle. Go figure I would like that one. Any way that is my opinion. If you don't like it I have a place for it in my home. Hint Hint.

e. mort
2006-08-20, 5:53pm
My flame is very oxidizing where I tested it, but I do realize that I have this tendancy to get closer and closer to the the cones as I work, and I think that is what is happening. I need to work farther out, and pay attention more so that I don't end up two inches from the cones when working this color. ](*,)

Thanks again for all the tips!

boroburner
2006-08-20, 8:35pm
May very well be it.

Its deffinetly one of the more tricky ones ive come across. But if u hit it, its blingin!
good luck
B

Jamn!
2006-09-17, 3:11am
Eric,
It almost looks like the rod needed to be mixed up before you used it. I have a couple of rods that have burnt out in a little section like this.

HardwoodTrailGlass
2006-09-17, 7:38am
Eric,
It almost looks like the rod needed to be mixed up before you used it. I have a couple of rods that have burnt out in a little section like this.

Thanks for the suggestion!

isellrejer
2006-09-18, 6:13pm
I think the hearts are beautiful!!! I love the colors. If they need a home, they sure would look good on my neck.

Jerri

Cosmo
2006-09-19, 12:43pm
Supposedly lightly rubbing it with some steel wool will remove the metallic areas...

WhiskerWood
2006-10-01, 5:31pm
11734 11733

Here are some examples of how I like to use it. ;)

WOW! Gorgeous Brent!

Jamn!
2006-10-02, 5:28pm
Yes I was thinking how pretty the color was but never said anything! :) Yummy!
Brent What kind of torch did you use for those?

Mr. Smiley
2006-10-02, 9:23pm
Thanks for the kind words. I need more of this color. I should be heading to my supplier soon. The reminder is timed perfectly. My brain is toast these days.

I think it was on my Cuda... yep, pretty sure it was the Cuda. I used my Mirage for some of it as well. Both will work well. ;) Just oxydized and hot hot hot... then reduced at the very end.

jmc-lampwork
2006-10-04, 7:46am
Just wanted to share the non effects you can get from Amazon Bronze! LOL Although I did try reducing and fuming some, and got some(ok, very few) neat colors...this set is just well, just reddish brown....LOL
http://img.inkfrog.com/pix/greatfindsct/nutmegnostalgia.jpg

Jamn!
2006-10-04, 7:32pm
I really like the surface texture on this set! Its pretty cool looking to me! :)

loribeads
2006-11-24, 10:53pm
Oh gosh, Jen, I love those!!!