Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : New Home Studio!

pearsonglass
2006-08-22, 5:45am
No pictures yet. We finally bought a building this weekend. The whole thing is 12 x 22 and it is going to replace the 1926 shed we have now. I am going to have a 12 x 14 room inside with all the bells and whistles. I am going to post a pictorial of the changes here. The great news is that I might be hosting small semi private lessons in the space as early as the spring.

Brad Pearson

Mr. Smiley
2006-08-22, 5:59am
Awesome Brad! :D

tehale
2006-08-22, 6:11am
Wow...congrats, Brad!!! You deserve an awesome workspace. I can't wait to see pictures.

meadowesky
2006-08-22, 6:35am
Congrats Brad!! that is awesome!

pearsonglass
2006-08-22, 7:26am
Awww crud. This is what happens when I type before my coffee. Sorry about the mis-spelled title. Is there any way to change the title of a thread?? Moderators help!!

Brad

Rebekah
2006-08-22, 7:28am
Yay! When can I come learn something new?

pearsonglass
2006-08-22, 10:15am
Bek you can come over whenever you want.

Here is why I am excited about a new space. Here is my old studio. Its not bad , but it could be better. It is also in a basement, so it feels cramped.

And here is the old shed we are tearing down. So I get a studio and my wife gets rid of an eyesore.

Brad

Marie C
2006-08-22, 10:40am
COOOOOOOOL! I did the same about 3 months ago. We bought same sized building as you, had it insulated and sheetrock installed, window unit air conditioner, vent system, etc. My bro-in-law built a really nice work bench for me. =D> I put up industrial type shelving (from Sam's) for supplies. Studio has a wood floor and I had thought about putting some type of flooring in, but someone suggested I leave it as is. That's what we decided and I'm glad. This way I'm not worried about messing up the floor if I drop hot glass or something on it. I love it! It's a very happy place for me. I mean, when I open the door, this wonderful, happy feeling comes over me. :happy:

Sorry about going on and on about mine, I'm just REALLY happy for you because I know how cool it is. Hope you and others enjoy it greatly!

Marie C

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. Phillipians 4:13

Terryd
2006-08-24, 5:18pm
Congrats Brad! As for the typo - made me look twice at the thread! I bet you can't wait.

I'm having the electricity put into my garage tomorrow - YEAH! I'm setting up my studio there. Plan to fire up the kiln for the first time tomorrow afternoon.

I'll see you next weekend at the NDGG class - looking forward to it!

Terry

Blueflameart
2006-08-25, 10:19am
WTG Brad! I can't wait to see the new place. Hurry and post pictures when your done! Bet your happy happy.

Sharon Abood
2006-08-27, 7:45am
Hey Brad congrats on getting new digs!!! That will be so cool. One question do you currently work in the gray building or the pink one? Just kidding!!!!!! LOL.

IF-Designs
2006-08-27, 7:49am
Awesome Brad Thats gonna ROCK! Its always exciting when you can do something new and expanding like that for your work! :) I cant wait to see progress pics!

McDuck
2006-08-30, 8:09am
eyesore? nothing a little paint, jackhammer, anvil and very large hammer wouldnt fix! Congrats Brad! now you can make BIGGER beads in it!

Just Nancy
2006-08-30, 10:49am
I'm with Sharon. Kind of hard to imagine leaving the pink building for more spacious ones.

Enjoy.

JCHerrellGlass
2006-09-03, 12:14pm
Hey, Brad!!! congratulations on your upcoming space!! It's so exciting and I imagine this space will be stellar. Can't wait to see.

Kalera
2006-09-03, 12:37pm
Wooo Brad! That's awesome! I can't wait to see pics of the new studio. I wish I was closer, I'd come for a class!

pearsonglass
2006-11-05, 9:24am
Here we are at phase 2 . I am almost ready to put up the drywall and finish the internal wiring.

Doesn't the new building look a lot better than the old one. Just ignore all of the toys, it looks like a used toy store exploded in my backyard.

Next I will build in the workstations and the floor.

Hopefully it won't be too long, I am getting excited.

Brad Pearson

BarbC
2006-11-05, 9:36am
WWhat a nice place! It does look better than the old one. What a great place you will have to make your fantastic beads!!

Dasi
2006-11-06, 10:04am
Congrats Brad! It looks great!!! Can I come visit?

pearsonglass
2006-11-06, 3:32pm
Congrats Brad! It looks great!!! Can I come visit?

Any body can visit. If you ever drive up 95, I am only a few blocks off the interstate in Richmond.

Today I found out that drywalling is harder than I thought. But I did get 5 pieces up and worked on the ceiling a little bit.

Brad

jwelsh
2006-11-06, 3:52pm
Any body can visit. If you ever drive up 95, I am only a few blocks off the interstate in Richmond.
Brad

brad.. i'm about 2 hours away from you... down 64 to va beach...we need to get together!

BiaggiaBeads
2006-11-06, 3:54pm
Congrats Brad!
Looks like it's going to be a great studio!

PaulaD
2006-11-09, 5:51pm
Sure looking good up here!!

Paula

FlameTree Glass
2006-12-18, 6:10am
Hi Brad,
Your studio looks great! Good talking with you recently. My very best wishes to you always!
Happy Holidays,
Lance McRorie
FlameTree Glass, Inc.
www.FlameTreeGlass.com
1-888-FLAMETREE or 1-888-352-6387

Janice
2006-12-18, 7:53am
:lol: I love the toys! It looks..."real" ;)

How exciting!

J.

pearsonglass
2006-12-21, 9:52am
I am getting close, I will take some pics this afternoon. I will be tiling the torch counter and building a jewelry/coldworking desk this weekend. All I want for Christmas is a couple of child free hours to get some work done.

Pictures to follow soon,

Brad Pearson

pearsonglass
2006-12-21, 10:31am
All right ,, here are the inside pics. I love the floor. I finished laying it last weekend, and I have a new respect for the flooring guys out there in the real world.

So who wants to sign up for a class, so I have an excuse to finish before you get here? I plan to be able to do private lessons and classes of at least four people.

Brad

Megan
2006-12-21, 2:30pm
wow.. Great floor and I love the colors on the walls.. Looks like it is going to be a great space.. :-)

Ellen Black
2006-12-21, 9:44pm
Wonderful space ! Congratulations !

papimom
2006-12-22, 6:49am
Keep working Brad I'm looking forward to seeing this space in person.
Joan

BarbC
2006-12-22, 9:24pm
WOW! Brad that is some great space!!! Now get working so every one can come!!

beadygirl
2006-12-23, 8:58pm
WOw Brad! Awesome! I'm feeling very envious! I bought my HUSBAND a shed for Christmas! Now I'm thinking that maybe it should have been MINE!
:-)
Keep those pictures coming! Some of us have to live vicariously through others!

Gayle_Herring
2006-12-24, 11:18am
Love the colors on the wall and the checkerboard floor, Brad! You're doing a bang-up job.

Gayle

BarbaraB
2007-01-21, 5:10am
Wow! What a difference. It will be interesting to see if it affects your bead designs. You may have to rough it up a bit. Just kidding, it looks marvelous.

McDuck
2007-01-21, 11:37am
Oh I wanna come for a class! do you have a hotel shed out back too ;) whats the advanced class eh? Congrats on the wonderful new studio!!!

SadiesJewels
2007-01-23, 10:35am
oooh ... how exciting for you. We did the same thing a couple of years ago - although my space is smaller due to local zoning laws (it seemed big to start with but now is jam packed with my stuff). I just love my space - it's such a wonderful feeling to have your own space ... congratulations!!

Sadie

pearsonglass
2007-01-27, 9:54am
I am moving in today and tomorrow, I did not realize how much stuff I had. We spent the last two days digging a 100 foot trench for the electrical lines,laying conduit and filling the ditch back in.( and it is still not filled in all the way)

Brad Pearson

ccrye
2007-01-27, 11:26am
Brad
I've been following your progress...... it looks great. You have kinda inspired me to think about moving out of the basement and into a timberframe building my husband built a while back. It would require the electrical wiring brought to the building but the building itself is wired and ready. I'd have to put a ventilation system in but hey look at all you've done.
Carol
(from class in Chatt.)

pearsonglass
2007-01-27, 4:08pm
Oh I wanna come for a class! do you have a hotel shed out back too ;) whats the advanced class eh? Congrats on the wonderful new studio!!!

Didn't you see the little pink playhouse in the first pics. That is the guest house.:eek:

The advanced class can really be anything. There is going to be a grinder, a lathe, a sandblaster, enamels painting station. and room for about 4 students.

It will be tight but functional space. A lot like a camper.

Brad

pearsonglass
2007-02-06, 3:05pm
Here I am actually working in the studio this weekend. It filled up really fast and I am not moved in all the way yet.

It looks a little full because we had a camera crew in the studio this weekend working on a new instructional video.

I will get some better pics soon. This one was snapped by the camera guy.

Brad

Forgot the picture, see the next page!

pearsonglass
2007-02-06, 4:38pm
Forgot the pic. Here it is.

Blueflameart
2007-02-06, 5:27pm
Whats the pipe under the desk (blue tape)? Vent? Just curious. Your new studio looks great and I bet your very happy to be in your new digs!

pearsonglass
2007-02-06, 6:26pm
The pipe under the desk is a 1200 cfm vent system. It is built into the table, leaving more room to move around up top. The fan is hidden in one of the under counter cabinets. The cabinet is sound proof, so all I hear is the sound of air moving. It seems to work great with all off the incense tests I have done.

The blue tape was just some painters tape holding the film crews light cords out of the way.

Brad

Jenfire
2007-02-06, 7:28pm
When you have time could you explain this vent system some more? The smoke and dust is pulled down onto the table with vent openings somewhere?
Jen

pearsonglass
2007-02-06, 8:08pm
When you have time could you explain this vent system some more? The smoke and dust is pulled down onto the table with vent openings somewhere?
Jen
I will try and take a picture when I get a chance, but yes there are two openings in the table sucking the air down and out. Right now the make up air comes from above and behind me. It is cold right now, but in the summer it will cool me off some in the Virginia heat.

The bonus is that I am making a removable box that will fit over one of the openings, this will be used when using enamels and pixie dust,and not allow any of it to reach the room.

B

Terryd
2007-02-09, 7:49am
Brad, That looks great! Let us know when you will start having classes and when your instructional video will be ready!

Have fun,
Terry D (from NDGG in VA)

Cracked Baubble
2007-02-09, 8:10am
Oh I am very interested in the vent system idea

also what are you putting your tools on? Is that just a peg board painted or is it magnetic?

pearsonglass
2007-02-10, 9:28am
Here are the final pics. I have not finished the manifolds, or moved all of the boro in, but for the most part it is finished and working.

You can see the tool rack, which is just pegboard painted with hammered metal spray paint. And the vents in the workbench. The cluttered desk is where the jewelry, grinding and sandblasting will be.

Blueflameart
2007-02-10, 10:25am
Looks great!

Jenfire
2007-02-11, 12:31am
The snoopy phone is COOL!
Jen

Jenfire
2007-09-06, 8:55pm
bump

Marjo
2007-09-07, 4:16am
[QUOTE=pearsonglass;837097]Any body can visit. If you ever drive up 95, I am only a few blocks off the interstate in Richmond.

Darn, my family and I just drove from Hilton Head, SC to NY and we passed right by you. Maybe next time, we try and go once a year.

Can't wait to see the finished studio. I'm in the process too. Same kind of shed/building.