Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Hothead hookup/Bulktank setup

cadia
2006-08-27, 12:54pm
Finally I've used up the last of my hated 1# Mapp tanks and have gotten a 5# Proplyne bulk tank. I got the hose and the hookup pieces the man at the hardware store said would hook it up but the tiny pictures that came with it are not convincing me I have all the right parts - Is there a link to a graphic of this hook up that someone can post for me?
Also...my bulk tank will be set up on the outside of a Steel insulated door (is this good?) I was thinking of putting a bracket right on the door to hold the tank and "plumbing" through the door to my workbench? Is this ok to do ? The door is not a door that I use as a "passanger door" but as an access door ot the dog pen when needed. So it wouldnt be something that would get alot of use other than as an easy way to stabilize the tank and have able to use a 5 foot hose. Safety opinions please?[-o<
Thank you, Cadia

Dale M.
2006-08-27, 6:18pm
First off I don't know what parts you mean... Most quality hoses are factory made with connection for bulk cylinder (tank) on one end and 1inch x 20 threads "disposable cylinder connector" on other end and usually have factory crimps on connections , not simple hose clamps.... Personally I have no confidence in what "man in hardware store" may have sold you ... Perhaps you can post pictures of what he sold you and we can determine if it will work...

You might want to check out this message thread....

http://www.lampworketc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31727

Also this one.....

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

IF you hoses ends do not look like these, you have wrong parts....

Dale

cadia
2006-08-28, 6:32am
Thank you Dale - I thought you'd be the one to help!
I will check out my hose tonight when I get home.
The hose pic you posted makes me think I did get the correct connection pieces - but did that hose come with the end pics shown connected at the factory and are they permanently attached? (whereas the ones I got I attach myself)
The place where I got my bulk tank was out of the hoses and refered me to Hardware to get it .
Thank you, Cadia

cadia
2006-08-28, 6:33am
Oh, and Dale ( or anyone) --
What do you think about the steel door scenario that I mentioned?
Cadia

Dale M.
2006-08-28, 7:39am
Thank you Dale - I thought you'd be the one to help!
I will check out my hose tonight when I get home.
The hose pic you posted makes me think I did get the correct connection pieces - but did that hose come with the end pics shown connected at the factory and are they permanently attached? (whereas the ones I got I attach myself)
The place where I got my bulk tank was out of the hoses and refered me to Hardware to get it .
Thank you, Cadia

Yes hose is factory made and fittings permanently attached.... I do not recommend putting together a hose on your own... There are high pressures involved (on order of 100 psi) and a poorly installed fitting or faulty clamp could cause a sever propane leak into studio and results could be disastrous...

Dale

Dale M.
2006-08-28, 7:43am
Oh, and Dale ( or anyone) --
What do you think about the steel door scenario that I mentioned?
Cadia

NOT keen on the idea.... Tank should sit on its own little pad of bricks and out of harms way... Solution is to get longer hose and put tank in safer place... On door it can fall off and damage valve or hose can get ripped and spew propane all over and if there is flame or sparks near by it could ignite....

Dale

cadia
2006-08-28, 8:37am
Thank you Dale~!

bhhco
2006-08-29, 8:37am
First off I don't know what parts you mean... Most quality hoses are factory made with connection for bulk cylinder (tank) on one end and 1inch x 20 threads "disposable cylinder connector" on other end and usually have factory crimps on connections , not simple hose clamps.... Personally I have no confidence in what "man in hardware store" may have sold you ... Perhaps you can post pictures of what he sold you and we can determine if it will work...

Dale

I agree. Hose clamps cannot contain the tank pressures developed by propylene. The connectors must be pressure crimped on a 1" length barb.

Additionally, when working at "tank pressure" the hose should be designed for tank pressure, e.g., 350 psig LPG hose - which means the exterior surface is perforated to allow migrating gas to escape.

Me

cadia
2006-08-29, 5:06pm
I attached two photos of the hose setup I bought...
good or no good?
Thanks, Cadia[-o<

Dale M.
2006-08-29, 7:44pm
Actually it appears that you have quality components. So you should be ok...When tighten up connections do not be afraid to use a wrench and put some leverage on it.... CHECK for leaks befor putting it into use, and regulary there after...

Out of curiosity, does hose have any information stamped on it? Something like propane or LPG approves and at what pressure rating like up to 350psi?

Dale

MikeAurelius
2006-08-30, 3:39am
Umm...don't put too much pressure on the POL side (goes into the bulk tank). It is a metal to metal seal, and too much tightening will quickly degenerate the quality of the seal. Brass is fairly soft and doesn't need uber foot pounds of tightening when it is metal to metal.

Be absolutely sure you use either teflon tape -OR- GAS APPROVED pipe thread paste sealant on the pipe thread components. Each male threaded piece needs tape or sealant, but do not use tape or sealant on the segment that attaches to the bulk tank.

While I don't recommend the use of bulk tanks with the Hot Head torch, you should at least be safe if you are going to attempt this. I don't recommend you use a larger tank either. 5 pounds is plenty big enough for safety's sake. If you do get a leak or puncture, in an average sized room, a 5 pound tank probably won't saturate the air with explosive concentrations of gas like a 20 pound tank would.

cadia
2006-08-30, 9:39am
The hose and fittings are made by Mr. Heater -PSI is 350 and all parts rated for Propane ( also a note on it to use with teflon tape and use soap to check for leaks) I have a 5' hose but am going to get a longer one (atleast 12 foot) and would purschase from this site, below is the link to MrHeater hoses . If someone sees one that is safer than the assembly I bought I'd like to know.

http://www.mrheater.com/seriesdetail.asp?id=152&cid=0

Many thanks, Cadia