Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Best hookup for a hothead?

kimberlyoriginals
2006-09-01, 2:23pm
So how do you attach your hothead and mapgas to a bench? thanks!

Dale M.
2006-09-01, 5:08pm
Easiest and simplest way is to get simple "L" bractet from hardware store, a "C" clamp and a 1-1/2 inch hose clamp....Whole thing should be less than $10.

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=104

Dale

kimberlyoriginals
2006-09-05, 7:42pm
That's exactly what I needed to know. thanks for the picture - that will help me show my husband what we need!:-P

FourTailsLampwork
2006-09-06, 5:36am
That's the hookup I use, and it has been totally stable. You do need to check the fittings periodically, as they will loosen over time, but then for safety one should do that anyway :) Mine cost $0.89, for the L-bracket, as I already had the hose clamp and the C-clamp.

Note the angle that the L-bracket has been bent--just whale on it with a hammer; works beautifully!

MikeAurelius
2006-09-06, 6:33am
Even safer is to *NOT* use a hot head with a bulk tank. This is an inherently dangerous way to use this torch. Keep in mind that you are running full tank pressure (up to 125 PSI) of highly flammable fuel gas through the entire length of the hose. One leak, and the tank will empty itself into the room where-ever you are working faster than you can shut it off.

Dale M.
2006-09-06, 8:28am
Even safer is to *NOT* use a hot head with a bulk tank. This is an inherently dangerous way to use this torch. Keep in mind that you are running full tank pressure (up to 125 PSI) of highly flammable fuel gas through the entire length of the hose. One leak, and the tank will empty itself into the room where-ever you are working faster than you can shut it off.

Several people keep saying this, but "WE" the forums in general across the inter-net have yet to hear of a case of this happening ...Ever.

Dale

MikeAurelius
2006-09-06, 8:32am
PM'd you.

FourTailsLampwork
2006-09-06, 3:13pm
Wouldn't there be the same problem with an oxy/propane torch, or does the regulator remove the potential leak danger?

MikeAurelius
2006-09-06, 3:48pm
The regulator lowers the line pressure of the propane from 125 PSI to about 5 PSI. That difference in pressure can make all the difference between a room filling with propane (and potentially having a catastrophic explosion) and smelling a gas odor and shutting the system down in plenty of time.

A leak at 125 PSI will empty a 20# tank very quickly. A leak at 5 PSI won't.