Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Hood Design Question

exlabman
2006-09-03, 6:24pm
I saw one post with a picture of a flex duct with sort of a funnel shaped end on it. The funnel was placed in front of and directly above the torch. Would this be a realistic and safe alternative to a large square type hood hanging from the ceiling??? Inquiring minds want to know..............

Larry

Dale M.
2006-09-03, 7:54pm
I saw one post with a picture of a flex duct with sort of a funnel shaped end on it. The funnel was placed in front of and directly above the torch. Would this be a realistic and safe alternative to a large square type hood hanging from the ceiling??? Inquiring minds want to know..............

Larry

Its a product from GLASSCRAFT...

http://tinyurl.com/m3wv3

But it has one major fault. The Flex Duct is the poorest duct system you can use for ventilation... IF you were to replace FLEX with rigid it would vastly improve ventilation performance... Also it appears to use blade type fan and that is also not most efficient type of blower to use...

Concept is good, just needs rigid duct and squirrel cage blower to be winner....

Dale

MikeAurelius
2006-09-05, 4:37am
I really do not recommend this type of ventilation system. It does not account for any fume removal from the overhead area. All it does is exhaust the flame plume, which, by itself, is hazardous with the type of system shown. This type of system will pull a 3800 degree flame plume into a system that isn't designed to handle the heat.

A good design will be an overhead hood, a better design is a 5 sided box or bench mounted hood.