Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Newbie to Lampworking

Luposgirl
2006-09-04, 1:45am
Hi. I am very new to lampworking. In fact, I just placed an order tonight for a beginner's kit that includes what I will need. I was reading through the safety pages and saw where it is recommended that you take a class or have someone show you how to set up the torch. Unfortunately, I live in a very small town in SE Arizona and I don't know anyone that can show me how to use it and there aren't any classes offered within a 200 mile radius that I have been able to find. Is there a video out there that can show me what I should know?

I plan on using MAPP gas to start out with (hot head torch) and am planning on working on my patio outside with a fan placed off to the side of me. The patio is surrounded by the house on 2 sides (L-shaped) and open on the other two. Will this be enough ventilation?

What else do I need to be aware of?

I am excited about trying this, but am concerned about being safe for myself and my family. I apologize in advance if these are questions that have been asked before.

Dale M.
2006-09-04, 9:07am
Working outside should not be a problem. Its probably safer. As long as there is air movement you should not be as risk. It there is prevailing breeze you should probably have your back to it. That was fresh air is coming over your shoulders and not through fume cloud torch is producing . IF the is no air circulation yes small fan to move air is a good idea.

As for video others will have to answer that. Although I did view two videos on GOOGLE VIDEO (Use search string "Lampwork") that will give you some basic concept on how process works... They were not really tutorials but by observing them closely you will get grasp of process...

Dale

MikeAurelius
2006-09-05, 4:38am
There are several vidoes available, Lewis Wilson comes to mind, as does Blazam Productions. Both sources have a variety of videos available, and all the major distributors carry them.