Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : How to Handle Silver Leaf/Foil?

Teague
2005-08-25, 8:57pm
I just started playing with leaf and I'm wondering how people handle it? if you want to cover a whole bead, do you cut the paper with the foil inside? Do you tear it? How do you pick it up?

I basically tore it with my bare fingers, put it on the marver, rolled it, and then flattened or stuck stray pieces with tweezers or a brass pokey thing.

teague

Lara
2005-08-25, 10:18pm
With the foil, I just use my hands. It rarely sticks. The leaf is different. I use twisters or cut with the paper. If you use gold foil, you can NOT use your hands at all, you will guild your fingers.

Shawn T
2005-08-26, 10:21am
With the foil, I just use my hands. It rarely sticks. The leaf is different. I use twisters or cut with the paper. If you use gold foil, you can NOT use your hands at all, you will guild your fingers.

:badgrin: I always say if You look at the Gold too long it will stick to your eyeballs.

I cut my silver Foil with scissors, cause I am anal about it. I usually know what size beads I am going to make, and so I cut strip of it in different sizes incase my bead is a little bigger or smaller. I than put the strips on my marver, Heat up the bead and roll it onto the silver. Burnishing the silver in with my Mikie, (another graphite tool that has a great edge to it) most any tool will work, just make sure it is adhered to the bead well.
With the Leaf I cut also, but I cut it while it is between the two pieces of paper, and pull it out with my tweezers. Than I do the same as above. I try not to handle the Leaf at all as it will stick to my hot fingers. Some is heavier than others.

OK So I am long winded, I also use a lot of silver in my beads love the effect. Be careful of the fumes, Please.

Bijoux
2005-08-30, 10:01am
Those little wheels that are for cutting material ( I am NOT a sewer so I don't know the right name for them) work great for leaf and foil and are very quick. You get them at the fabric store and they look like a little pizza cutter. I've used one for years and it is still sharp. Ann "Bijoux"

Teague
2005-08-30, 6:15pm
Thanks everyone, I think the cutter is a great idea. I will look into that when I have extra money past buying the glass :)