Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Too cluttered? Font? Colors?

JudithB
2006-09-08, 11:49pm
Hi everybody. After much sweat, work and doubts, I've got my webpage up and running. It's not fully populated, but I made a start and the basic pages should be all there.

Please have a look here .... Icarus Beads Website (http://www.icarusbeads.com)
I am not 100% sure about the layout yet and would appreciate your input.

Please don't hold back on anything negative!

Is it too cluttered / busy / crowded?
Is the font easy to read on the background color?
Any other critique or ideas?

Thanks a lot in advance.

rosiescreations
2006-09-08, 11:58pm
I wish when you go to see your auctions it would open in a new window instead of leaving your site.
It was very easy to read.
Looks Great.
I'm not sure about the brown background.

JudithB
2006-09-09, 12:07am
Thanks a lot for your time Pattie - I fixed the link and the auction should now show in a new window.

The brown is supposed to be a very dark eggplant color ...
Is it looking brown on other's computers too?
Any other people that don't like the background color?

rosiescreations
2006-09-09, 1:10am
If you could fix the link in
Beads
Autumn Breeze - For Sale on Ebay

That would be great

Judi_B
2006-09-09, 6:10am
It looks very nice! I especially like that you have beads and jewelry highly visible on your home page. The background is showing up eggplant for me, but your auction is still opening in the same window. I suggest having your links open in a new window too. The white background on the beads and jewelry against the eggplant is too much contrast for me. Gray might work better and show off your work better. Or maybe even a light eggplant? Also, it seems like too much "white space" on the bead set. Maybe try a close-up on the beads to better fill the space, but keep the rectangular shape? I would also suggest putting the link to your FAQ in a more prominent location. Will you have shipping costs in the FAQ? One of my pet peeves is not being able to find shipping costs before ordering.
You're really off to a good start, the site looks great!

JudithB
2006-09-09, 2:16pm
If you could fix the link in
Beads
Autumn Breeze - For Sale on Ebay

That would be great

Hi Rosiecreations. The link works for me - or do I miss something?
Thanks for your help.

Edited: Got it - sorry, was the same issue with not opening in new window. Fixed now. Thanks.

villa design
2006-09-09, 10:08pm
Hmm... the eggplant looks like a dark grey on my computer. Getting a color to match from one screen to the next is hard. There are a few colors that show up true on the web.

I also think it would be helpful if the target page (meaning the window that opens when a person clicks from the menu bar) would be a lighter color, like a light eggplant Judi was suggesting? Or maybe even white have a small border surrounding your photos.

Good work! I like how clean your site is and it's easy to navigate.

JudithB
2006-09-09, 10:49pm
Judi & Melissa. Thanks a lot for all your ideas and comments. Great stuff.

I am trying to work on the target page/color issue in the next view days.
Will also think about the opening in a new window instead of the home page. However, would that not mean that 2,3,4 windows open if a visitor clicks through several pages. That could be annoying for them.

I still have to do the FAQ. Thinking about it, I might actually merge the FAQ and the already existing "Policies" page into one page. Thank you for pointing out the shipping costs. This is a very valid point, and I am putting it on my "To Do" list.

I did quite like the contrast between the stark white and the dark aubergine. I guess color might be a matter of people liking and disliking different things. Maybe I should do a poll to see what the majority thinks - after all, I could be the only one who thinks the color combination is cool.

The idea behind the pictures on the home page was too look more interesting, a bit "designy" and "artsy" and not boring. That's why I'm displaying only parts of the photos and quite a bit of white space. Maybe I have overdone it a little. Will revisit the photos to see if I can tweak it a bit.

Judi_B
2006-09-10, 6:17am
Will also think about the opening in a new window instead of the home page. However, would that not mean that 2,3,4 windows open if a visitor clicks through several pages. That could be annoying for them..
When I suggested opening links in a new window, I only meant those that take people off your site, like those on your "links" page (LE etc). I agree with you that it's annoying to have each page on a site open in a new window.

I did quite like the contrast between the stark white and the dark aubergine. I guess color might be a matter of people liking and disliking different things. Maybe I should do a poll to see what the majority thinks - after all, I could be the only one who thinks the color combination is cool.

The idea behind the pictures on the home page was too look more interesting, a bit "designy" and "artsy" and not boring. That's why I'm displaying only parts of the photos and quite a bit of white space.
I see your plan in the design now and you're right. It does look more "designy" and "artsy" than filling the white space would be. Also the contrast is a personal preferance. I brought it up because when I opened your web site my eyes were drawn immedately to the white, not to your beautiful beads, but to the white surronding them. Then I refocused on the beads. Just something to think about :wink:
I like your site, it's looking good!

JudithB
2006-09-10, 9:13am
Hi Judi - Oh, I forgot to open the links in the "Links" page to open in a new window. Thanks for pointing out. Will fix it

I will try to make the white a few shades darker. That could help making the contrast not so obvious.

Thanks again.