Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Tungsten poker, what did I do wrong?

SquareOneBeads
2005-08-27, 5:57pm
Hi there,
A
I bought a tungsten poker to use for making plunged dots because I was having problems with my steel poker sticking and I was told that Tungsten didn't stick. Well, I've had the thing for two weeks and it seems even worse than the steel one. I get one good poke and then it sticks and pulls the glass just like my steel one, at least with my steel one I got two pokes before it started pulling glass. Do I need to dip it in water between each dot or something? I also broke it today, it rolled off the table and the rod snapped in half. I put a new point on it with the bench grinder though, hopefully that won't make things even worse.

Any advice?

Heather

Nonie
2005-08-27, 6:08pm
I find I get a couple of pokes then I have to dip it in water (quenching) sp?
Try that...it will work

Mr. Smiley
2005-08-27, 6:21pm
Dip in water to cool as needed... and keep it clean. Some fine grit snad paper will keep the surface nice. You can also try a little twist with your poke, to keep it from sticking and if that doesn't work, get some bees wax and dip the tip in it before you use it... that should be good for several pokes. ;)

Mr. Smiley
2005-08-27, 6:22pm
Also, poke OUT of the flame... the metal won't stick, unless it's hot. :D

Rose Leslie
2005-08-27, 7:39pm
Didn't know about the bees wax. I do go ahead and dip my poker into water when it get to hot. Then I know it will work.

pearsonglass
2005-08-27, 8:37pm
Also, poke OUT of the flame... the metal won't stick, unless it's hot. :D
This is exactly what I would say. If it is really tungsten it should not stick.

heat the dot in the flame. Take it out and plunge away. A general rule in soft glass is never put your tool in the flame.

Brad Pearson