Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : torch on the porch

lavendar420
2006-09-19, 3:03pm
I'm an apartment dweller, and have a balcony where I'd like to set up a torch. Has anybody done this? I'm curious about how people have handled ventilation. I can't do anything destructive to the property or permanent.

CaptElaine
2006-09-19, 3:51pm
I'm not in an apartment, but I torch on my porch... since I'm outdoors (roof over head but thats all) I have no other particular ventilation... I do run a fan toward my legs when it is very hot... but that's not for ventillation... in the winter I run a ceramic heater (and my torch keeps me warm). When the wind kicks up I have to stop... don't know if this helps you or not.

FourTailsLampwork
2006-09-19, 3:58pm
Do you carry everything out with you every time--frits, glass, torch, fuel? Or do you have a locking cupboard on hte porch where you can leave things so they don't get hit by rain?

little guy's mom
2006-09-19, 7:28pm
I torch on our screen porch and keep the fan at the other end of the porch on high. Other than that I don't have a ventilation system and have not had any problem.

DesertDreamer
2006-09-20, 9:29am
I was on a 2nd floor apartment balcony for 2+ years. My very simple ventilation solution was to mount a small oscillating fan on the outside of a sliding door frame with a heavy spring clip, so air blew from behind me, over my shoulder. It was high enough to not disrupt the torch flame, but according to smoke tests, picked up the air and blew it away from me pretty effectively.

Luckily I was north-facing so out of local prevailing winds, but some days made me totally crazy. You might need to get really creative on windy days.

lavendar420
2006-09-20, 10:25am
the clip-fan sounds like a good call. i'm moving to a new apartment, with either a 2nd or (hopefully) 3rd & top floor balcony. The other challenge is keeping the torch on the lowdown, I doubt the landlord would be super excited about this!

glassaddict
2006-09-20, 12:12pm
Ya gotta do what ya gotta do. I have been torching on my screened in porch for a year, I have to quit when it is windy or wayyyy to cold, but a heater sure helps. I notice that in the winter the glass doesnt want to melt as easy so what I do is heat my glass by placing them in a can in front of the heater, so when I use them they are kinda hot already.

glassaddict
2006-09-20, 12:14pm
I also leave all my supplies outside but since you are only on a porch with no screen, Id advise a storage cabinet

CaptElaine
2006-09-21, 9:20am
I carry it all in every time, tools, glass, the works.. I even wipe the table down with a damp cloth and sweep up... because I'm a neet freak? NO because my dogs are on that porch during the day, and they can and do jump up and walk around on my table (little dog foot prints up there)... so I can't leave anything out that might cut their feet :)
I use an old cookie sheet to lay my hot rods on when I have to bring them in the house. I use a canvas tote bag for the tools, coffee can for my mandrels. You do what you have to do :)

ellyloo
2006-09-21, 9:32am
For you people in the winter, don't your beads explode in the chill? I've been wondering about that.

beadgirl
2006-10-23, 5:19am
Questions about being outside:
Do you use on oxygen concentrator ouside?
Does the humidity effect it?
You all are trying to keep warm and I'm trying not to melt in 95 degree weather. I live in Palmetto, Florida { Tampa Bay Area}
Thanks, MarieAnn

CaptElaine
2006-10-23, 4:43pm
Actually, my Oxycon and my kiln are inside, I run the hose under the laundry room door then out the open back door (25ft hose)... My oxycon doesn't like the heat and humidity... and I don't want either of my expensive pieces of equipment (the kiln or the oxycon) outdoors effected by the weather, or bored male dogs that might feel the need to 'claim' them as their territory... if you know what I mean. I usually batch anneal my beads... I have a crockpot (very cheap garage sale find) full of vermiculite for the beads to gp into, I keep the rods warm on a hot plate (when it's cool out)... the 2 days a year it's really cold in Charleston... I don't torch (you probably have about 2 cool days a year too, in Tampa MarieAnn) :D

beadgirl
2006-10-24, 5:50am
Thanks for the info Elaine. I'm syill trying to firgue all of this out and haven't made a decision on what supplies to buy first. The place where I wanted to set up in has carpet & blinds and that is a big no no.
As far as the animal thing goes I never thought of that, great point! All of our pets are all females. But the dog has already eaten several silver beads. The vet loves us!!
I'll firgure something out. Marieann