Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Storage solutions, pictures wanted!

Kikki
2005-08-29, 4:48am
I'm thinking of building some kind of new glass storage and I would like to see yours!

Please post pictures of your current storage solution and describe what you used to build it.

shawnette
2005-08-29, 12:58pm
Plastic stackable storage container purchased at Walmart for $15. Use the 6" fencing material for the glass:

open

closed

robinbrown
2005-08-29, 1:11pm
Plastic stackable storage container purchased at Walmart for $15. Use the 6" fencing material for the glass:

open

closed

You're a Very smart shopper. That looks great!

ElizabethCreations
2005-08-29, 1:15pm
Nancy Zapata have a nice acrylic holder for glass rods.
http://www.zapatabeads.com/catalog.php?category=3
Hope you'll find what you need!!

Roseanne
2005-08-29, 5:33pm
Nancy Zapata have a nice acrylic holder for glass rods.
http://www.zapatabeads.com/catalog.php?category=3
Hope you'll find what you need!!

Ouch~it sure is expensive. Go to a fencing place, dig thru their scraps, you'll be amazed at the deal you can strike w/them! Go to Tink's studio on here & ck out how well it works:D

ElizabethCreations
2005-08-29, 5:56pm
Roseanne
I agree it's expensive #-o BUT I guess that can be easy (sort of) to do one... Just need some glue** good one** and some acrylic sheets. I'm planning to ''try'' to do one.
For now, I have a shoes organizer and it works well for me!!

shawnette
2005-08-29, 6:09pm
Roseanne
I agree it's expensive #-o BUT I guess that can be easy (sort of) to do one... Just need some glue** good one** and some acrylic sheets. I'm planning to ''try'' to do one.
For now, I have a shoes organizer and it works well for me!!

The fencing is easier. It's 6" wide and when you cut it, the inside is divided into 2"x2" sections. You could get some and put it in your shoe rack. It was less than $10 for a 12ft length.

PVC pipe is even cheaper.

WhiskerWood
2005-08-29, 6:18pm
I am very spoiled because I have a BF who loves to build stuff!
This is a picture of my glassrack.

I also have two more long, thin ones that he built into my studio up against the ceiling...

coyotesfamily
2005-08-29, 7:42pm
what does a piece of this fencing look like empty? I am having a hard time picturing fencing like that... :oops:

suzanne
2005-08-30, 12:46am

I also have two more long, thin ones that he built into my studio up against the ceiling...

:D my goodness!!! NOw that is glass storage !I love it

shawnette
2005-08-30, 7:46am
It's the vinyl rail, not the actual fence:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=87348-73428-61401S&lpage=none

They sell it at Home Depot and Lowes.

end view _____________________________________________side view
2415 2416

(This is obviously a scrap piece)

robinbrown
2005-08-30, 7:46am

Nicole---- Marry him, QUICK! Very handy!!!!

I'm the handy on in the family, isn't that sad?

DiPat
2005-08-30, 7:48am
Suzanne, love what the BF built for you!
Shawnette, love that you have doors!

Hi! I'm new here, I've been lurking a bit...
Thought I would post a couple of my make-do-for-a-while-til-I-figure-out-what-I-really-want storage boxes...

I found the white one at Walmart for about $15.
This holds my 104coe glass.
Added the PVC and some heavy duty casters.
If I had to do over, I would use fencing, or gutter materials.
There is a lot of wasted space with the PVC tubes.
And I would have mounted the casters to a little bit larger board,
then mounted the board to the bottom of the box.
As is, it's just a little tippy, but it's still very strong and functional.

The dark one is just a desktop paper storage box from Sam's Club.
I think it was $10. This holds my ~96coe glass.
I don't have much of that yet, but this is strong enough for now.

robinbrown
2005-08-30, 8:18am
After seeing some of these I drove by an Antique place here in town. I found this thing that looked great. It's black, and it's 2 kitchen cabinets put on top of each other. The top has 2 doors, and deep. I think it was the above counter cabinet. The bottom has a drawer then 2 more doors, under counter cabinet. It's even deeper.
Got it for $60. I'm going to put in on locking casters I think.

I'm going with Shawnette and Tinks idea about the fencing to fill it up. I'll use the drawer for my tools. Since it's on top of each other it's not taking up too much space either.

I'm going to do before and after pics.

Gail Joseph
2005-08-30, 12:15pm
I bought several of these metal storage cabinets on ebay (new, $35 plus shipping), and they are fantastic. The cubbies are 4"x4", and I divided most of them into 4 using clear plastic 2x2 square tubing that I'd already purchased).
http://cgi.ebay.com/32-Hole-Metal-Storage-Bin-for-Workshop-or-Garage_W0QQitemZ7541811527QQcategoryZ57005QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem
Tubing from JC Danzek
http://www.jcdanczak.com/our_products/cat_7.html
--Gail

9/6/06 The above link doesn't work anymore, but it is Barnes Distribution on Ebay

shawnette
2005-08-30, 2:12pm
I bought several of these metal storage cabinets on ebay (new, $35 plus shipping), and they are fantastic. The cubbies are 4"x4", and I divided most of them into 4 using clear plastic 2x2 square tubing that I'd already purchased).
http://cgi.ebay.com/32-Hole-Metal-Storage-Bin-for-Workshop-or-Garage_W0QQitemZ7541811527QQcategoryZ57005QQrdZ1QQ cmdZViewItem
Tubing from JC Danzek
http://www.jcdanczak.com/our_products/cat_7.html
--Gail

Now that's nice. Pictures?

Solana
2005-08-31, 8:52am
I found a great shoe organizer at Target for around $15 and then bought PVC pipe and cut it into 12 inch lengths. I can store up to 90 colors of glass in this small area and even add more pipe when I want more compartments! Here's a pic:

http://www.sirwatson.com/images/studio_glass.jpg

Roseanne
2005-08-31, 10:39am
you can also take the "insert" out of the shoe compartment and it will allow for more pvc:D (can never have too much glass:D)

robinbrown
2005-08-31, 1:24pm
I found a great shoe organizer at Target for around $15 and then bought PVC pipe and cut it into 12 inch lengths. I can store up to 90 colors of glass in this small area and even add more pipe when I want more compartments! Here's a pic:

http://www.sirwatson.com/images/studio_glass.jpg

Watson, I believe you have it!!!!
(just had to say that).
Great idea... Makes me feel like I didn't make a good buy afterall...
OH WELL, it will be fun to refinish the cabinet.

Deb
2005-08-31, 8:43pm

open

closed

Shawnette,

I love the fact that it is enclosed. My set up is in the garage. My glass is now completely covered in sawdust because we had the bathroom fixed and the builder cut all of his material in the garage. :cry:

Deb

Kikki
2005-09-01, 12:36pm
Thank you ladies! All your storage solutions are so neat and innovative.

I have a really sturdy bookshelf filled with unused craft materials (what can I say? I found glass...) that I can pack in boxes and put in the basement.
I'm going to visit my inlaws this weekend and will ask my father in law if he can build me something that'll fit the shelf. I'm thinking something like the shoe organizer but with 2x2 holes instead. I should be able to store most of my glass in that. I'll post pictures when I'm done!

Anne Ricketts
2005-09-03, 7:00am

Except here in the Austin area! :cry: :sad:

coyotesfamily
2005-09-03, 12:12pm
Except here in the Austin area! :cry: :sad:
not in our area either :(

shawnette
2005-09-03, 12:48pm
Anne and Sondra, just call a local fencing company. Home Depot and Lowes are just national chains, but other companies carry it also. Any place that sells the seperate components for the vinyl fencing (privacy fence) will have it. You can also order it using the link I provided (Lowes) and they should be able to deliver it at your local store for you to pick up.

Just Nancy
2005-09-04, 9:16am
The fence company people I've spoken with say the ribbed version was a 'cheaper' 'older' style and they don't use it any more. They say their fence has thicker walls and no divider pieces.

I'm hoping they didn't know what they were talking about as I still hope to get enough someplace to do a cabinet for soft glass and eventually some boro.

Nancy

shawnette
2005-09-04, 4:09pm
If all else fails, I'll be happy to get it for you here and ship it. It took me a while to find it, too, but that's because I was looking in the wrong place. At Lowes, it was outside in the garden area. Not inside with the other fencing supplies.

Anne Ricketts
2005-09-04, 5:15pm
Thanks for the offer! I think I'm going to ask them if they can just special order it to here when I get ready to make the storage space!

dla
2005-09-11, 11:51am
Here's mine that just got set up. Rolling steel shelves that can hold up to 350 pounds (purchased at Lowe's) with pvc tubes that came in 10 foot lengths cut into 12" length sections ( the CHEAP sewer type). The sides and back of the shelves are a cut up sheet of pegboard that was here at the house being fastened on the shelves with zip ties. Those zip ties are STRONG. The tubes are angled slightly up so glass doesn't fall out and again, that is with stuff we had around the house. Some of the tubes have caps on them (hubby decided that was necessary but they aren't) and they can be moved as they are not glued or fastened to each other. And they do not move around when moving the cart. Very tight fit. Love this !
Debbie A. 3085

robinbrown
2005-09-11, 3:25pm
very innovative... Love the way you think.
Are your stringers in an ice tray? I like your desk too..
Want to come help me get mine together?

dla
2005-09-12, 4:00am
Robin, would love to come help you out as I see you're in North Carolina ! lol ! We LOVE NC and miss living there. We lived just a little south of Raleigh. Anyway, yes, the stringers are in an ice cube tray. The shape of those are tube and I got it at Walmart. Works great for long stringers/twisties BUT the short pieces are hard to see. The desk was a work table at a place hubby use to work. He has 3 of them as they were giving them away to get rid of them. They had a whole warehouse full of them and they are HEAVY ! All steel except the top which has laminate on top so I had to cover it with steel. It works out great now that I have the glass off of it ! lol !
Debbie A.

SunSpot
2005-09-12, 5:46am
I have the blue cubby unit that Gail has with the square plastic inserts. Was just telling DH yesterday that I need more storage space. I like Shawnette's idea and it looks like our Lowes has the fencing. Here's a pic of my blue unit (I stood mine up on it's end.) I thought I had a closer view, but can't find it.

Roseanne
2005-09-12, 8:00am
Try your local fencing places before you go to Lowes or anyother major store. I went to the local fence place and went thru their scraps and paid $5 for 4 10ft sections! It's worth a shot if you ask me;)

robinbrown
2005-09-12, 9:45am
Debbie... I wish you were closer,,, I would love one of those tables. Why can't people give stuff away up here. LOL
Love your workspace. I wish my hubby was as willing to help me set-up my workspace as you are!

beachbeads
2005-09-12, 12:37pm
I changed fom the pvc to the clear plastic tubing that goes over floresant bulbs in industrial area's. I got it at a restaurant supply store dirt cheap, and it cut with sissors. You should be able to get it at any lumber yard. It is smaller then most pvc, holds 2 lbs exactly, and you can pack alot of glass into a small spaces as the outer tube is thin. I have my glass on a shelf betweenttwo torches, and each tube is labeled with name and order #. and I can look up and through the tubes see all the colors and #. Also, I HAVE A TON OF FREE PVC, MUST PICK UP, IT'S ALL SIZES AND CUT FOR GLASS. PM ME IF INTERESETED.

Julz
2005-09-12, 3:55pm
I love all these great storage solutions, especially since I really need some as my collection grows. I have the PVC rails with ribs for my dressage arena, and since at least one 10' piece is broken, I can cut it up to experiment. But it seems pretty small, a 2x6 divided into 3 small squares. I have fairly large hands and wonder if it would be troublesome for me. Almost seems like I need a whole 4x4 space so I can get my whole hand in.

So in thinking about that, how do you store your shorts- back in with the long rods or someplace else? Do you label each rod, or wing it? I like the way some of you have labelled the cubbies- I think it is important for the clears, whites and really dark ones.

dla
2005-09-13, 3:18am
Julz -
My pvc tubes are 3" in diameter and hold a minimum of 4 lbs. of glass. I don't know if my hand fits in there but I can get several fingers in there. lol ! I got the cheap sewer pvc tubes at Lowes. The regular pvc (for household plumbing, etc) was twice the cost of the sewer pvc. Both were 10 feet long but the sewer tubes are not as thick at the plumbing pvc but for this use it doesn't matter. Still works great !
If the shorts are more than 5 inches long, I just have them in the tubes. When they reach less than that, they're in a cool whip bowl ! lol ! Nice thing about my set up, if I want to, I can move the tubes around. They aren't attached to each other or anything else.
Oh, and my tubes are labeled now. If you look at my picture again, you'll see a strip of cardboard just underneath and in front of each shelf. I wrote the color names on that. Top part of cardboard for glass on top part of that shelf and bottom part of cardboard for tubes on bottom part of that shelf. And each label is just a peel off type label so they can be changed if needed. Whew ! lol !
Hope this helps.
Debbie A.

barb
2005-09-13, 4:51am
We built a holder of wood and use the pvc gutter pipe as dividers. Right now I need to add more storage as well but every time I add more cubby holes I then go out and buy more glass and run out of room.

Barb

KristiB
2005-09-13, 1:21pm
I've posted this before, but here is mine.

BillBrach
2005-09-13, 2:09pm
Barb,

You could add diagonal dividers in your existing tubes and DOUBLE your existing storage.

Bill

Gail Joseph
2005-09-13, 4:31pm
I have the blue cubby unit that Gail has with the square plastic inserts. Was just telling DH yesterday that I need more storage space. I like Shawnette's idea and it looks like our Lowes has the fencing. Here's a pic of my blue unit (I stood mine up on it's end.) I thought I had a closer view, but can't find it.

Oooh, good idea putting on it's end!!

Another thing I saw was a very sturdy wine rack at Costco...I'm thinking that might be a good way to store my GG Glass rods (right now they are packed into 4" cardboard tubes, standing up, and annoying me!!! Unlike my working glass, where I want each color in small-ish compartments, I need the GG Glass in bigger ones, but readily identifiable. Hmmmm...Maybe I just need another blue cubbby with no dividers. Duh!--Gail

barb
2005-09-14, 6:52am
Bill - you are right - and it's such a simple easy solution. Thanks - this weekend I will be dividing my storage units. I think I have enough thin wood in the shop to make little dividers.

Barb

*MAR*
2005-09-23, 9:39pm
We built a holder of wood and use the pvc gutter pipe as dividers. Right now I need to add more storage as well but every time I add more cubby holes I then go out and buy more glass and run out of room.

Barb

Barb, that is ONE perfectly happily situated work area. I love it!
I'd take a clone of your space in a heartbeat!

Dragonfire
2005-09-24, 6:29pm
Just wanted to post mine, it is a mix of peoples ideas.

And thanks Shawnette for the picture of railing.....I had read about it, but couldn't find it until your picture.

You guys rock!!!

My cabinet is an old highboy from a second hand shop.
Michele

hmmm the crap you can't read is....pirahna in the box, boro bottom right, $$odds I don't like above the boro, caliente on the same self as the odds, and reactives above those.

Michele

starlia
2005-09-24, 7:09pm
I purchased baskets made with wire and 1"x1" openings. Each basket will hold over 90 different rods of color. I'll try to find a photo and post it here.

danelady
2005-09-24, 9:32pm
Storage in my studio:
Frits and small items in the red cabinet
Glass in the tubes, (i've added LOTS more tubes since this pic)
Presses on the rack. Yes my studuio is ALWAYS this neat. I can't work if it's messy. However, you should SEE my desk! (well SOMEONE should, I can't see it for all the paperwork) LOL
Lyn

http://www.doglogic.com/STUDIO/studio4.jpg
http://www.doglogic.com/AUCTION/presses.jpg

Ruth Nichols
2005-09-25, 6:55am
So many really good storage ideas! Shawnette... I gotta tell ya gal, I like that idea for lots less dust on the rods! I was considering a rolling tool chest for my glass but will have to do it this way for a while. Still gettin my studio ready for the classes I am going to be teaching in sculpting and painting.

Anyway.... here is mine.... downspouts and wood... all tucked into a 14x22 inch space. Probably cost about $45.00 total with hardware, glue and.....

Curly Irish Girl
2005-09-25, 8:38am
I've got a wonderful studio set up. I have a full kitchen worth of cabinets and store all my glass in the double door lower cabinets - using PVC pipe for the containers.

My studio is the size/shape of a galley way kitchen - 10X16 - bench and cabinetry with annealer on one side and cabinets (upper & lower) for glass storage and findings along with sink on the other side. 4207

jhana
2005-10-04, 7:34pm

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=87348-73428-61401S&lpage=none

end view _____________________________________________side view
2415 2416

(This is obviously a scrap piece)
Hi Shawnette, I can't find this stuff out here in Cali for the life of me.They only have the 1and 3/4" by 5 and1/4" material. That feels a little small to get ones fingers in and out easily. I called their customer service people(Lowes) and told them it was found at your store in Altamont Springs. She's gonna research it and get a product # so we can all get it if possible. When I get the info I'll post it.Thanks for the great pic. It helped me wait for what I really want to spend the $ on.

Bubbyanne
2005-10-05, 10:09am
I went to Home Depot and found the vinyl fence rails. In our area, it cost $16.89 for a 16ft length and we'd have to cut it in the parking lot (they won't cut plastic for you) just to get it to fit in our full sized chevy blazer and get it home. It would cost about $80.00 to get as many pieces as I need.

So I did some calling around to fencing places, just to see if I could get scrap pieces. I found a place that will sell me 3ft pieces for $1.25 each and we can fit them in our vehicle! In addition they'd said they could cut and clean it for me for a little more. I didn't even ask how much because we can do that ourselves. So I'm getting 75 feet of 2X6 vinyl fence rail for $31.25. Saved some cashola thanks to this thread. :-D =D>

I'll post a pic of my storage when I get it done in the next few days.

Thanks for this thread and the people who shared their info, it's been extremely helpful.

P.S. I'm also thinking of making a storage thingie like the one in this thread for my work table. It's the 4th post down by Flaming Idiot. Pretty smart!
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=93005&page=17&pp=15

Now if I could find a sensible way to store my stringer I'll be set! ](*,) :p ;)

krissybeads
2005-10-05, 12:12pm
Here is a picture of my studio. Everything was all cleaned up when I took the pictures. You should see it now, Yikes! My hubby put the racks together for me. It's made from PVC pipes and shoe racks from our local home improvement store. Everything is within arms reach. It's great!

danelady
2005-10-05, 12:26pm
AWESOME Krissy!Here is a picture of my studio. Everything was all cleaned up when I took the pictures. You should see it now, Yikes! My hubby put the racks together for me. It's made from PVC pipes and shoe racks from our local home improvement store. Everything is within arms reach. It's great!

krissybeads
2005-10-05, 1:07pm
Thanks! The best part is, I don't even have to get up...LOL

shawnette
2005-10-05, 2:47pm
Hi Shawnette, I can't find this stuff out here in Cali for the life of me.They only have the 1and 3/4" by 5 and1/4" material. That feels a little small to get ones fingers in and out easily. I called their customer service people(Lowes) and told them it was found at your store in Altamont Springs. She's gonna research it and get a product # so we can all get it if possible. When I get the info I'll post it.Thanks for the great pic. It helped me wait for what I really want to spend the $ on.

I just measured mine and the stuff you found is the same size. It's just listed as 2x6. (Lowes Item #: 87348 Model: 61401S)

jhana
2005-10-05, 4:23pm
got it ,Thanks

Blair
2005-10-10, 10:23am
My storage for my glass rods doesn't look much different from most people's here, but I discovered a great way to store frit last weekend! I was at Linens N' Things and discovered they have magnetic spice racks. The containers are metal, with a clear lid so you can see the contents, with a large magnet on the bottom. You can buy the rack and 12 containers for around $40 (the rack is somewhat sub-divided, so 12 is all that will fit on it), but since you can buy the containers seperately I bought 12 for $2 a piece and a set of 3 cookie sheets for $9. The magnetic containers stick to the cookie sheet like a dream, and the magnets are even strong enough that I can put at least 4 oz (that's how much I have of each of my frits) into each container and they will still stay in place even if you hang the sheets vertically! I can fit probably about 20 canisters on the large cookie sheet. I figure even if I don't want to hang the cookie sheets (although they have a hole at the top so they can be hung) I can still keep all my frit nice and tidy and can stack the trays as I get more, then pull them out as needed without fear of spilling them everywhere. Someday I'll actually post some pictures ;)

Blair

robinbrown
2005-10-11, 11:23am
Blair that's cool!!! Very innovative!

loribeads
2005-10-16, 9:49pm
Have I shown this already?
These are Craftsman rolling drawer cabinets. There are a few more drawers filled to the brim with glass but if I try to open them all to take a picture, I think it would topple over. :D

Corinne - GOC
2005-10-17, 6:00am
Hey I've shown this a couple of times in other places ... but it seems appropriate for this thread too... Hope I'm not boring peopld... It just works so darn well!!!

My workspace is a standard workbench that you can buy from Lowes or Menards or something ... I use the drawer to store all of my frits and silver type stuff.

The cool thing is that I don't have to decide exactly what frit I want to use before I start the bead ... the muses can call to me for anything!
I am using blank CD tins that you can get several places

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin7g.html (CD Tins (in bulk))

With the drawer closed

With the drawer open

A close up of the tins labeled (both inside and out, so I can see what I am using)

I also have some little beads that are in there to help remind me of what the frit looks like in action

Here is how it looks when you are rolling a bead (you may see a spoon in some of these pictures ... I use it to "place" how much frit my bead hits)

And I also have room for other stuff

You are not seeing very many frits in there because I kind of cleaned up for the pictures, usually there are about 12 or 15 "favorite" frits out and then stacks of tins over on the side where the shards live...

PS definitely buy those tins in bulk ... they are expensive when they are part of the wedding favor kit I originally found them in ...although not a bad way to find out if they would work for you

shawnette
2005-10-17, 8:00am
...The cool thing is that I don't have to decide exactly what frit I want to use before I start the bead ... the muses can call to me for anything!
I am using blank CD tins that you can get several places

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/fin7g.html (http://cd%20tins%20(in%20bulk)/)

The link didn't work. Here it is:

http://www.sks-bottle.com/340c/SearchIndexMetal.html

They also come in square. Hmmmm...

Heather/Ericaceae
2005-10-19, 10:45am
For stringer storage I use these great 6" clear pastic containers from Lee Valley Tools.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32173&cat=1,43326

I don't use the lids much, I just pack a lower plastic container with the little tubes so that they stand upright. Then I can sort by stringer colour - warm trans, cool trans, warm opaque, cool opaque, opaque neutrals, white and clear, twisties, encased stringers, mixed stringers, stringers pulled from furnace glass, goldstone stringers... It would work better if I eventually set it into layers so the centre is higher. And put it onto a little lazy-susan...

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=32743&cat=1,250,43298,43316

-Heather

*MAR*
2005-10-19, 10:13pm
Corinne, that is a great frit set up, very clever and keeps everything accessible for when the whim hits you. You should send pictures of your set up to that company. Maybe they'll credit you for the idea, and send you some complimentary tins for other projects and more frit! I'll bet they never thought of using their products for something like this!

astrid
2005-10-22, 12:52am
Here's my storage sollution.
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/8070/dsc030442gu.jpg
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/8360/dsc030430xc.jpg

Felicia
2005-10-25, 4:48pm
Hey Blair,

Do you have a picture of your frit setup?

Just Nancy
2005-10-26, 10:12am
Here's my storage sollution.

Last night I decided I wanted to use something like this. Did you make your shelves or buy them? Is that pvc? It looked thinner than mine.

astrid
2005-10-26, 12:09pm
I've bought them and yes it is pvc. Now remember I live in The Netherlands, so things tend to look slightly different (thinner or whatever) because for some stupid reasons the world decided that it would absolutely NOT be fun, convenient or something like that to make things compatible with each other. ](*,) Much more fun if everyone invented their own way and put the screwthreat on the inside at one part of the world, and on the outside in the other part of the world. If you know what I mean. :-k
I've bougth the shelves at Ikea. You do have that store in the US, but I have no idea if they carry the same stuff. The pvc things are our rainpipes cut into pieces by nice store-people. (We are a rainy country so we have lots and lots and lots of rainpipes)
i really like this system. It works for me and it is pretty inexpensive.

Kikki
2005-10-26, 1:03pm
Hiiiiiiiiii Astrid! :wave:

Nice to see you here!

Rainpipes, huh! Cool idea. I bet I could find that here pretty cheap as well. It rains quite a lot here in Scandinavia too.

My father in law is busy trying to figure something out for me. He's retired and I feel it's my obligation as a dutiful daughter in law to keep him busy!
Anyway, we are going to visit them next weekend and hopefully I'll bring something home with me.

Just Nancy
2005-10-26, 3:18pm
Ikea here I come. I thought the beauty was if I changed to a built in storage unit or anything I could use the shelves for so many other things.

Thanks.
Nancy

astrid
2005-10-27, 3:05pm
Hiiiiiiiiii Astrid! :wave:

Nice to see you here!

Rainpipes, huh! Cool idea. I bet I could find that here pretty cheap as well. It rains quite a lot here in Scandinavia too.

My father in law is busy trying to figure something out for me. He's retired and I feel it's my obligation as a dutiful daughter in law to keep him busy!
Anyway, we are going to visit them next weekend and hopefully I'll bring something home with me.

Hey Kikki!!

How are you doing? It is so nice to hear from you again.
Been practising a lot? (shame, shame, I could do better on that part, but time.....it kind of slips away at the moment)
Let me know how you're doing.

Astrid

CreativeSpirit
2005-11-03, 10:09am
My Partner built this Rod storage for me from drain pipe, and it works like a charm!

Peace
Wendy

CreativeSpirit
2005-11-03, 10:12am
oopps trying to figure out how to make the pic's smaller!

Wendy

CreativeSpirit
2005-11-03, 10:21am
7056 7055

Peace
Wendy

Tanya McGuire
2005-11-03, 12:55pm
I was lucky when I moved into my studio there was an old section of cabnet I jsut had to get the fencing sections to fill it up the bottom section is Moretti and the top Bullseye. Tanya

Tanya McGuire
2005-11-03, 1:00pm
Okay trying to upload the picture again. Tanya

Tanya McGuire
2005-11-03, 1:01pm
I will get this right yet. Tanya 7061

shawnette
2006-01-10, 4:36pm
bump

*Sally*
2006-01-10, 5:27pm
Thought I'd jump in on this one. Until last week all of my rods were in upright spaghetti containers on the end of the workspace. Not anymore ........ this is what it looks like now.
Told DH that it looks too empty, I'll have to get more glass. He's soooo impressed with that idea. :roll:

Sally

oosiris
2006-01-11, 9:20am
I just found my solution to this, here at my day job. Im a draftman and we do a lot of plotting. At the center of each ream of 36" wide roll of paper is a very hardy(1/4" thick wall) cardboard roll. I have two different diameters rolls (2" and 3"). If you are looking for a cheap way I'd bet you could get these rolls for free from any copy or graphics company.

brimmy
2006-01-12, 10:35am
I found 2" drafting tubes on sale at Staples a few months ago. I bought a bunch and cut them into thirds. I then taped 10 of these shorter tubes together in a pyramid style (four, then three, then two etc) with a triangular piece of cardboard taped to one end to stop the rods from sliding straight through.

I then sorted my glass into each of the three sets of tubes, one of basic colours like white, black and ivory and the other two split between warm and cool colours. The sets of tubes sit on the floor beside me upright and I can grab whatever colour I feel the urge to use. I work on my couch and coffee table close to the ground, so they are a good height, otherwise I would suggest placing them on a short bench to keep the tops of the rods no higher than elbow height while you're working.

I find this set up works very well for smaller amounts of glass and it is easy to move around which set you want closest and takes up very little space (much less than having them lying horizontally like most of the examples above). The only downside is that once the shorts get to about 6" in length, they are hard to pull out of the upright tubes.

Abacus Beads
2006-01-13, 9:08am
A word of caution when building your glass rack. WEIGHT is an important factor. Glass is very heavy, make sure that what ever you put your rack on is strong enough to support the combined weight. OK so don't ask me how I know. just take my word for it if it isn't strong enough you will end up with a cazillion bits of glass all over the floor and tears in your eyes from all of it that has to be thrown out or used for multi color frit
Liz R.

Palestrina
2006-01-13, 9:47pm
Everyone is so creative & so very helpful.

e. mort
2006-01-15, 9:22pm
Here is the glass storage area that I just finished today. The box holding the pvc downspout and drainpipe is 48" long by 16" tall, by 15.5" deep. It is made out of .75 inch plywood and supported by 3 extra heavy duty shelf brackets. (I tend to seriously over-engineer stuff.) The first section starting on the left is for Moretti, the second is for Bullseye, and the third is for Boro. I will finish putting the rest of the glass in the rack as soon as it is done being cleaned.

Eric

Kikki
2006-01-22, 7:03am
This is how my storage shelf finally turned out. The compartments are 2"x2" which is a perfect size for me.
At the moment it holds all of my Effetre, Vetrofond and Lauscha pastels, about a fourth of my Effetre transparants and my tiny amount of schampoo glass (the row at the very right). I have asked my FIL to build me another one just like this so I can organise the rest of the transparants, the little Bullseye I have and the boro I'm going to buy.

robinbrown
2006-01-26, 11:59am
I love this thread!

Robyn
2006-01-31, 10:59am
Here's our frit storage. The photo was taken to show the ventilation system, so sorry if the narrow Ikea shelves don't show up so well. Lots of spice jars and baby food jars so we can see it all at once.

And here's the glass which is behind the workbench so we can just turn around while working and grab another color. I want to change from round pipe to square eventually. It's all wedged between a chest of drawers and upper caninets that hold even more supplies/beads/tools...

Robyn

brimmy
2006-01-31, 3:03pm
The storage shelves at IKEA are customizable. When I have the funds and space, I am going to buy the wine rack shelves. Those will securely hold a wine bottle size pipe and stop it from sliding from side to side.

Beadazoid
2006-02-15, 11:54am
........ Anyway, yes, the stringers are in an ice cube tray. The shape of those are tube and I got it at Walmart. Works great for long stringers/twisties BUT the short pieces are hard to see.......Debbie A.
I use shot glasses for the short ones! But I'm gonna have to look for that ice tray! Sorry that pic is so bad. It was the same size as the other and I had to keep making it smaller. It said it was too big. :roll:

LoriBird
2006-02-18, 7:30am
What a fun thread! There's some great ideas out there! I'll post mine as soon as I get ANOTHER pic...lost all my pics on my hard drive...I'm the worse at backing up. :x
xoxo
lori

meadowesky
2006-02-18, 4:03pm
Well not only am I jealous of your storage but look at all of that glass!!! I am a green eyed monster right now! :-) I have about 8 pieces of pvc pipe and they are not even full!

glasser
2006-03-01, 11:23am
Great Ideas everyone! Reading this thread I am reminded of something I saw years ago in a Popular Mechanics mag. In an article called "Wordless workshop". Screw/nail lids from empty baby food jars to the bottom of a shelf, then just screw the jar onto the lid. You can see the contents and it is at your fingertips out of the way. I tend to dump mine often!!!. You could also use any jar with a metal lid, relish, jelly, any size that would suit your needs. Pam

Phoenix
2006-03-01, 2:50pm
how deep do most of you cut the actual containers for these/ It seems to me that the glass rods at my first class were quite a bit shorter than the ones i bought through the mail. I'm wondering if it's mis-memories or different suppliers cutting differently.

I don't want to cut inefficiently- but I'd love to get my small amount of glass off the counter

shawnette
2006-03-01, 3:31pm
how deep do most of you cut the actual containers for these/ It seems to me that the glass rods at my first class were quite a bit shorter than the ones i bought through the mail. I'm wondering if it's mis-memories or different suppliers cutting differently.

I don't want to cut inefficiently- but I'd love to get my small amount of glass off the counter

Mine is 12".

Bubbyanne
2006-03-02, 4:28pm
I was supposed to post a pic of my glass storage in this thread a long time ago. Man a mind is a terrible thing to waste! :roll:

I cut all my fence rails 13" because I'm a clutz and didn't want any of the rods sticking out. The shelf they are stacked in is supposed to sit on top of an office desk. I got this thing for free with a couple of desks an office was tossing out. I have it sitting on top of an old metal door which is stacked on cinder blocks on top of an old coffee table. Just using what I have. :lol:

I have a lot more rails to cut and want to fill the upper and lower shelves eventually to accomodate the other coe glasses I have. What you see there is my effetre, vetrofond and lauscha. It looks like more than it is really. Quite a few cubbies only have a couple rods in them.

Just Nancy
2006-03-03, 6:22am
I usually store mine whole and then cut it into 1/2 making them around 18". When I actually organize my glass, I think I'll cut it when I get it home, but probably still in half.

Phoenix
2006-03-03, 7:12am
Thanks Nancy- it was escaping me how people got it so nice and neat in some of those cubbies :-)

Just Nancy
2006-03-03, 9:09am
The thing that escapes me is no one seems to have a bunch of shorts in their cubbies. (And everyone is so organized, except me.) So, I'm thinking keeping the 'whole' partial rod in the cubby and the shorts on something someplace else.

Maybe I miss the point on the whole thing.

Ironmountain01
2006-03-03, 2:20pm
I use 2" watchmaker cases for my frits, enamels & powders - they have clear glass lids and aluminum cases so you can see the frits and roll hot glass in them without melting the sides. I'll try to post pics this weekend...:-)

adovbs
2006-03-03, 7:26pm
The thing that escapes me is no one seems to have a bunch of shorts in their cubbies. (And everyone is so organized, except me.) So, I'm thinking keeping the 'whole' partial rod in the cubby and the shorts on something someplace else.

Maybe I miss the point on the whole thing.

If you have looked at Kalera's studio pics, you'll see what I'm planning to do. She uses shallow metal pans to store all her "shorts" and used rods - looks like one pan for each COE. They just sit on top of the rest of the glass on that shelf. I'm going to get some cheapie heavy foil pans for now, but I think that's better than trying to keep them upright in glasses. It's easier to dig a rod out of a flat pan than try to pick it out of a prickly bouquet in a glass.

Teresa

meadowesky
2006-03-12, 5:25pm
well here is mine. I bought a few of the laminate storage cubbies at walmart or target and so far I am only using one. I drew up my glass color labels with excel and I was going to cut them out and then tape them to the inside of the pvc and my Shane was like "why dont you use a glue stick" DUHHH! Well it works out great for me but I am out of pvc again. I went to lowes to check on the vinyl fence railing and they do not carry it here. Then I checked on the florescent light covers and they were $7 for 8 feet. Well I get pvc for 4.28 for 10 feet so... more pvc to cut!
The right side is moretti and the left is supposed to be vetro but I ran out of space on the moretti side. See I need to break out that other cubbie.

I have about 25# of glass on the way so I cant wait to see it full!!!! OMG I have given each its own compartment and labeled it and I cant wait!!! I am so "nesting" LOL But my poor coral is all bundled together in an empty spot :(

donia
2006-03-21, 6:43pm
Okay, I now have a really bad case of storage envy. Not to mention glass envy. I see some of you are surely considered glass hoarders. I thought I was doing fairly well with my collection of rods. I'll be unable to keep up with most of you after spending way too much money on my bead hobby collection last year before discovering lampworking. I really love all your set ups. Surely gave me some ideas to work on.

My husband gave me a little area of the garage so I don't have all that much room to work with. He just decided to purchase one of the new 2007 Shelby Cobra Mustangs coming out in June/July so I guess asking for more garage space is really a bad idea. I'll have to be sharing my space with his hot rod soon.

So now I need to cover the space he gave me completely so that I don't loose any of it when he decides he needs extra space for something. I could always more into the formal living room which we don't use. I've already taken over the formal dinning room with all my beads. The huge dinning room table works really well as a work area. I can have awesome bead jewelry parties.

Thanks for the pics with ideas everyone,
Donia

Shawn T
2006-04-01, 2:55pm
So I am always late to the party.
A dear friend of mine made this for me, it hold most my glass. Love the divider shelf so my different coe's can be put on top. I have showed a pic of it with and without the PVC pipes so you can see it has a light in the back. The transparet glass shines so bright when I plug in the light. There is a little door in the back so I can change out the bulb when I need to. Also love that it is on wheels so I can move it if I ever need to. My kiln now sits on top.
I think I counted over 160 tubes that it will hold.

Just Nancy
2006-04-04, 12:44pm
Shawn,
That's a good friend to have around! Beautiful option. The light is a wonderful idea. I've been using my light table as I sort glass that has previously been just thrown together. I would have never thought to have included a light in the cabinet. (But then I don't have finished storage yet. ;) )
Nancy

Shawn T
2006-04-04, 7:59pm
Nancy, Thank You I love it! The light is the best, and it was my friends idea who built it for me. He had been to my stuido and first thing he said was you need more storage for your glass. Have no idea what would have given him that idea. Could it be the stacks of glass I had on my work table or the bundels laying on the floor, since my old one was full to the brim. :badgrin:
Best thing about having a light in the back of it is it I mix up and put a rod in the wrong stop, like the pale and light blues that are so close together, I can tell right away when I turn on the light that they are in the wrong spot.
Also it just looks pretty when the glass shines through it.

Firelilly
2006-04-06, 3:25am
Wow, Shawn! That storage dealie is a thing of beauty! I bet it looks really cool with the light shining through all the glass! What a good friend you have!

Lil

Felicia
2006-04-06, 4:59pm
Hey Donia,

Would love to see your set-up. I haven't had time to bead or lampwork lately...but still got the urge! We all need to get together on a evening or weekend some time soon. Felicia

Dawn
2006-04-07, 1:45pm
I use the flourescent tubes. The difference is, I put 2 of them into a downspout section, and I have a wooden cube that they fit in. Each flourescent tube holds 1 lb of glass, and in the 1-foot square box I use for the arrangement I can fit 90 colors. Each tube is labeled with the color name, reorder number, and coe in case I try boro some time in the future! Works for me!

Just Nancy
2006-05-19, 6:53pm
Time for a new post. This is what I'm currently using for 63 colors. I can't afford more at the moment but when I can I will buy more.
http://www.baublesbynancy.com/storage3.jpg

Edit: Please note, people are having problems with this supplier. I am trying to correct posts when I see them. If you see an old one please warn people. I love my unit but I don't want anyone else to have problems.

greenesh
2006-06-16, 8:57am
I'm a newbie, so don't have as much glass as you-all, but I was already having storage problems. So...I took a plastic "milk crate" and filled it with tennis ball CONTAINERS. They are round (like the PVC) and are 8 inches tall. When I get a real studio, I'll get better storage, but for now, at least I can separate the glass, see what I am doing, and move it easily! :)
Shirley

Tink
2006-06-17, 10:29am
I can remember the days when I kept ALL my glass inventory in two glass flower vases :-)

Beyond the Bead
2006-06-28, 1:04pm
I almost have something in common with the world famous Tink!

Ok, so it's not even one full flower vase, but I'm getting close! :-D

Tink, if you're ever in Oregon, I sure hope to meet you someday!
=D> Your vessels are to drool for! =D>

:love:
Michelle

Susie
2006-09-05, 10:02pm

open

closed

Shawnette,
I have looked for these everywhere I can think of. How long ago did you buy these? You probably bought the last ones ever made and I will never find them. LOL.

Susie

shawnette
2006-09-06, 6:46am
1 year and you're probably right because I haven't been able to find any more, either. I ran out of space so Sunday I built a new case:

24 x24 and made out of MDF, with wheels and a light. I'm so proud of myself!! =D> I think I should have gone bigger, though. I'm already running out of space and I haven't even finished transferring the glass over! It holds 52 sections of the fence rail, so that's enough space for 300+ lbs of glass. (Each cubby holds 2lbs 4-5mm 13" glass. More if it's long rods) :fireblob: :fireblob: Fits perfectly in the corner with my kiln on top. I'm going to use the old cases for frit and my Asian glass collection.

squid
2006-09-06, 11:39am
I just bought this fencing yesterday at the local Lowes. Home Depot didn't heve it, but the Lowes all did.

barbaracollins
2006-09-07, 3:17am
Each section of the fence rail should hold approximately 2 pounds of glass.

SunSpot
2006-09-07, 4:58am
Great job Shawnette. Congrats on being Ms Handywoman. I really like the light - that's a great idea.

shawnette
2006-09-07, 9:11am
Each section of the fence rail should hold approximately 2 pounds of glass.

Actually, each section holds 6lbs because each cubby holds 2lbs and there are 3 cubbies per section. Even more if the rods are long like BE and Uroboros.

Holly
2006-09-07, 9:21pm
You are so handy ma'am ;)
I love it!

:love:
H

barbaracollins
2006-09-08, 2:36am
I just bought more of the fence rail last night. My wall of glass is now about 6 ft by 4 ft. My DH did not want me to buy more fence rail, because he rightly presumed that I would fill it up with more glass!

Just Nancy
2006-09-08, 5:29am
Smart man you've got there. :lol: At least it is organized glass. ;)

barbaracollins
2006-09-09, 6:07am
What he does not know is that about 30 pounds will come next week, when I am out of town.

And then!!!!

aimee
2006-09-09, 8:43am
I had posted this in another post a couple of days ago but I figured I'd post it here too. It's one of those cheap bookshelves ($18) from either Lowe's or Menard's filled with sections of the ranch fencing. Boy I love that stuff. The shelf spacing is perfect. And my frits are sitting on top.

There's another one of the bookshelves next to it that I have all my books and magazines on.

Just Nancy
2006-09-09, 11:24am
Barbara,
Maybe one of us could sneek over and camoflage it for you. :lol:

I'm good at playing dumb. Glass. What glass?
Nancy

la•ni•ha
2006-09-13, 8:24am
I wanted to thank you all for posting pictures! It was such a help when I was building my studio (which is just about done!) I have posted a thread looking for any suggestions as to what I can do to my studio, but I wanted to post my storage picture here as a thank you. I did not take the picture with it on, but there is a florescent light fixture behind the glass rods that really helps when I do a quick glance over for the transparent rods. I have yet to label each compartment individually since I've found I now have more colors then spaces! I've started to divide the spaces into two with pieces of heavy cardboard and am waiting to see how it holds up under the weight of the rods.

Thank you again for being so helpful with posting pictures, I hope I too can help someone out once I get my feet wet.

ellejule
2007-11-06, 11:40pm
Does anyone here know where I can get the pvc fencing in Canada, I have checked everywhere I can think of and cannot find it anywhere! Thanks:)

mtnglass
2007-11-07, 10:03am
I'd try eBay first. Then you might try Fence-All in Ottawa - they are online. I doubt you will find much in your area because PVC gets very brittle in sub-zero temps so is not the preferred fencing in very cold areas.

Julie

ellejule
2007-11-07, 12:58pm
Ahh, okay, I'll try that then, thanks!

Imelt4U
2007-11-08, 1:58pm
This is a great thread! I wasn't going to show photos of my space until I cleaned up. But then I thought... WHO do I think I'm kidding anyway? LOLOL!! So here it is in all it's glorious mess.

Here's an overview of my workstation. The drawer units to right and left hold frits.... one for boro & one for moretti. The glass unit on top of the table holds 104 glass

This photo shows the shelf just under my table... and how I keep my boro twisties handy for use

This image shows a wonderful little lazy susan spice rack that I use for my custom frit mixes. It makes for really easy access.

This image shows my kiln cart that sits at an angle to my work space on the right. On the bottom of the section is where I store all my boro glass. On the top, just under the kiln, is where I store all the great new 104 silver colors.

This image shows my bullseye stash on the bottom... and all my gaffer/96 glass is separated by color onto the cookie sheets on top. I hardly ever use these and should probably just sell them. :::sigh::: The styrofoam you see in between the two is where I store my front surface mirror for kaliedoscopes.

Isn't a grand mess???? :::smile:::

ChristyPhelps
2007-11-08, 2:30pm
yeah, now do a 360 and show them the REST of the room!!! :shock: It's a place people dream of being!

Imelt4U
2007-11-08, 4:50pm
hahahahah... you should talk... I've been to YOUR workroom!! ::::drool:::

ellejule
2007-11-22, 1:23am
Oh my goodness, one day I aspire to have a glass stash like that!!!

hotblubonnet
2007-11-24, 10:32pm
Thanks for the offer! I think I'm going to ask them if they can just special order it to here when I get ready to make the storage space!

If you end up getting this shipped holler at me...I can't find it here either!

rita
2007-11-28, 9:42am
For those of you using the plastic fence post what do you use as dividers for a cubbie that has little glass. Most of you probable use wood but wanted to get some ideas. Thanks
Rita

Torch&Marver
2007-11-28, 2:33pm
I recently wanted to divide my PVC downspout so I went out to the dollar store and bought some of that "flexible" cutting board (for $1.00 per 14" X 8" piece). I'm using a linoleum knife and cutting it to size in order to "divide" the pvc rectangles in half on the diagonal. So far, so good. I can get pics if you need them (I might anyway) :)

Torch&Marver
2007-11-28, 2:42pm
I just posted these pics under the studio thread but realized they may also be helpful here:

I found these magnetic bars and IKEA. I think they were around $8 CDN. I've attached them to the side of my vent hood for easy access on the left to spatulas/other tools and on the right side (more sheltered and less chance of stabbing myself) they hold my pics and glass scissors etc. They also serve to give my vent hood additional support on the sides (given that it now holds up my vent fan!).

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/MoltenMuse/studiopics/toolstorage3.jpg

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/MoltenMuse/studiopics/tool-storage1.jpg

The hanging tool shelf is made from the carousel part of an acrylic paint stand (used for stringers in above pic but on lower shelf of workbench). I then purchased a swivel plant hook from the hardware and installed it on an inexpensive shelf bracket from IKEA. I love things being readily accessible and getting things *off* the workspace always makes me happier. Plus, the fact that I could use the inside of the carousel in a functional manner made me feel better about not assembling the paint stand.

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/MoltenMuse/studiopics/toolstorage2.jpg

and these funky little "egg holders" are perfect for frit colours. $1 each!

http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd15/MoltenMuse/studiopics/kilnandjewellerymaking.jpg

hannahbeads
2008-02-02, 3:09pm
Has anyone had any luck finding the rails lately? Lowes did not recognize the product numbers listed (I think they were from a few years ago) and Home Depot and Menards did not carry them either.

Thanks

bead crazy
2008-02-02, 7:46pm
If you look at a fence store the ones that build the fences they will sell you there scrapes for very cheap. I am going to go and get more soon so I will post what ever extras I get.

squid
2008-02-02, 8:04pm
This is the part number listed for the rails on the lowes.com website. One of my local stores carries them, but not all of them. You will have to be persistent because they CAN order them for you - all they need is the part number

Item # 87348
Model # 61401S

jhgenii
2008-02-05, 8:01pm
I use 2" watchmaker cases for my frits, enamels & powders - they have clear glass lids and aluminum cases so you can see the frits and roll hot glass in them without melting the sides. I'll try to post pics this weekend...:-)

I do this too. I also used sticky back magnetic tape on the bottoms and have the watchcases up on the side of my workbench.

easytoentertain
2008-02-19, 3:05pm
saw this and thought i would chip in with my newbie way to store my glass, i don't have much at all...and the flower pot i was using just wasn't doing it for me. also i lampwork out in my shed and though i have a table, hubby likes to set things on it...breaking my glass...GRRR...and it gets COLD out there as i live in western washington state...yeah...well here it is!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/easytoentertain/102_7765.jpg

and it rolls up!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/easytoentertain/102_7763.jpg

- jessica

Jenfire
2008-02-20, 1:55am
Now that is cool!
Jen

easytoentertain
2008-02-20, 7:21am
:P, would also work great for any special glass, or i am making one right now for someones knitting needles. I have also thought about adding some sort of hook or tab to each end so that if you have a wall space you can hang it up while you are using the glass.

- Jessica

Izzye
2008-02-20, 4:19pm
There are 10 kinds of people, those who understand binary and those who don't.

Kikki,
I love your quote in your signature!!!

Deborah

thebeadlady
2008-02-21, 2:30pm
I finally got my glass 'filed'. Up till this morning I had them all in jars...Just plain dangerous...I tried to find the fence parts here but nooooo...So I settled for vacumn pipe (for built ins) Now that it's there I'm happy - I sure wish I had more glass and a bigger ..... I've got what I want. Thanks for all of your pics and tips. Made it a very easy job this morning - $25.00 and about 1 1/2 hours start to finish, my DH helped.
Thanks again,
Karen

Katie Gee
2008-03-01, 3:50pm
My studio is almost done. Hubby says just a couple more weeks. In the meantime, here is my glass storage:

The papers taped on the side of the cabinet are my inventory "maps" telling me where everything is (listed my both name and item number).

I used a double wine cabinet, plastic hollow pickets, and plastic storm gutters !!

Each hollow picket will hold up to 1/2 lb of glass, and I use the storm gutters for those colors that I want to keep a lb or more in stock at all times.

Kathy

easytoentertain
2008-03-02, 7:11pm
now THAT is organized!!!

Tink
2008-03-10, 6:16pm
Katie, did you do your "inventory maps" with a spreadsheet or???

This (http://blackswampglassworks.com/glasslayout.doc) is what I've been using. I have gotten very lazy about adding to it over the past two years, but I'm getting ready to remedy that. Ick.

Katie Gee
2008-03-11, 1:36pm
Katie, did you do your "inventory maps" with a spreadsheet or???

This (http://blackswampglassworks.com/glasslayout.doc) is what I've been using. I have gotten very lazy about adding to it over the past two years, but I'm getting ready to remedy that. Ick.

No spreadsheet, I used CorelDraw for my "map." It actually looks just like the storage slots with the name and number of the glass that's in each slot (see attachment below).

Kathy

jesgen
2008-03-16, 5:05pm
I use a paint spinner from Michaels. It was intended for acrylic paints but it has worked well for my glass. Each square will hold about 1 1/2 lbs of glass (13" long). Also each square can be used to store and separate 2 colors because of the way the rack was constructed. The half square will hold about 3/4 lb of glass. The racks cost $30.00 unless they are on sale. In the past the sale price has been $15.00. I probably bought mine with a 40 percent off coupon that comes out every other week.

The 1st photo is the rack with the turning part removed. The 2nd photo is with the turning part still assembled to the rack.

The 3rd photo is my creation for storing stringers.

4th photo is me at my workbench.

Donna T.
2008-03-16, 7:25pm
Jesgen I use the same thing for my glass and used a 40% off coupon too!!:lol:
I've been rethinking my storage idea but I may just go get another one. I like your idea taking the spinner out.
I also like the last pix how you're using all your space. Instead of putting up walls now you're able to utilize the space between the framing. It's not pretty like I'm envisioning my space but that sure is smart! Now do I go for smart or pretty?:-?

Dragonfly Queen
2008-03-25, 5:53pm
Katie,
Now this is something to drool over. =P~, but where would I put my wine? :biggrin: Love your organization skills.
Tink love your spread sheet. Do you mind if I borrow it?

thanx,
Inez

My studio is almost done. Hubby says just a couple more weeks. In the meantime, here is my glass storage:

The papers taped on the side of the cabinet are my inventory "maps" telling me where everything is (listed my both name and item number).

I used a double wine cabinet, plastic hollow pickets, and plastic storm gutters !!

Each hollow picket will hold up to 1/2 lb of glass, and I use the storm gutters for those colors that I want to keep a lb or more in stock at all times.

Kathy

Otter
2008-03-26, 10:00pm
Just to let people know the unit that nancy has in post #106 made by George are beautiful. But George is a crook. I ordered and payed for one of those last year I paid through paypal. George was ok at first then gave me lots of excuses and then my unit was in the mail and then he was in a car accident and then he would not answer my calls. He has never sent me the unit and just jacked me around. I filed a paypal dispute but it was past the time limit.

He still will not take my calls and has never sent me the unit.

George is a rip off and you will never get a person on the phone unless its his cell and when they know its you they hang up.

Beautiful units.

But he is a crook.

Can you tell I'm still pissed over 90.00 I sent him and nothing going on a year now.

Otter

Just Nancy
2008-03-27, 4:58am
Otter, I'm sorry. I should post this a different day to bump it up but I'll probably forget. Someone wrote me they've had problems and I noted it in several threads. He was the only person after weeks of contact that Rich or I could get to make units. I wish I had more.

ETA: I sent George an e-mail including a link to this thread. I also told him I was removing any reference to him on my page about the unit. http://www.baublesbynancy.com/storage.htm ~if anyone wants to see the wording. He used to have that link too. I sent it to the address listed on his site. There has been no response, and nothing saying it didn't go through (yet). If (big huge if) I hear from him, I'll post the response.

Katie Gee
2008-03-31, 1:10pm
Katie,
Now this is something to drool over. =P~, but where would I put my wine? :biggrin: Love your organization skills.
Tink love your spread sheet. Do you mind if I borrow it?

thanx,
Inez

Thanks Inez !! And just to let you know, I keep all my wine in a wine rack in another room, you know for after the torching, LOL :koolaid:

Kathy

LadyGray
2008-05-12, 3:54pm

What materials did your BF use?

Thanks

LadyGray
2008-05-12, 3:54pm
This is AWESOME!!!

EaglesLegacy
2008-05-19, 1:05am

Kathy

Just curious where one would get hollow pickets? I've tried googling this to no avail.

Roseanne
2008-05-26, 12:08pm
Just curious where one would get hollow pickets? I've tried googling this to no avail.

Go to your local fence company & dig thru the scrap pile. You can usually pick really inexpensively too:)

squid
2008-05-26, 12:14pm
My local Lowes carries it too.

Katie Gee
2008-05-26, 5:09pm
Yes, Lowe's does carry them. Half of them were given to us (my hubby is a carpenter), and the other half we got from Lowe's.

Kathy

Katie Gee
2008-05-26, 5:13pm
Oh, and by the way, I have found that if I don't rubber band the glass, each picket will hold 3/4 to 1 lb. of glass (instead of the 1/2 lb. that I originally stated).

Kathy

Kathy

EaglesLegacy
2008-05-27, 4:23am
Cool! Thanks for the tips!! I'll go in search of these pickets.

Wild Fancy
2008-05-31, 8:46am
Hi Kikki,

You probably saw my post a few threads down the page from this.. so
I will keep this a bit short. I love my vertical " transparent" storage.
I have friends with the horizontal - only see the ends of the rods- in the
shelves situation .. Anyway I think something really great could be built
in this fashion. My Mesh shoe storage over the door unit is holding up
beautifully ($20)... I recommend trying at least one of these for awhile..
The link is on the other thread.. Here is a picture

:grin:

Wild Fancy
2008-05-31, 8:52am
saw this and thought i would chip in with my newbie way to store my glass, i don't have much at all...and the flower pot i was using just wasn't doing it for me. also i lampwork out in my shed and though i have a table, hubby likes to set things on it...breaking my glass...GRRR...and it gets COLD out there as i live in western washington state...yeah...well here it is!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/easytoentertain/102_7765.jpg

and it rolls up!

http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d171/easytoentertain/102_7763.jpg

- jessica

Hi Jessica,

I have a couple of these - they work great for traveling with glass, I found
these sturdy canvas rolls including a plethora of paint brushes for $3.00
at Aaron Bros in Bellevue WA (Bellevue Art & Frame was selling the same
thing for $10.00) Yours is much prettier though.

menty666
2008-05-31, 3:18pm
I finally got the fencing from my local Grossmans. I put it into milk crates but the only problem is that the rods were so long it was front heavy and tipped. So, I cut all the rods in half to stick them in. The bottom one's all boro, the top one is mostly 104 except for my BE in the lower left corner. Right now the boxes are heavy enough to hold all the clear tubing and rod to the left in place, but I'm planning to put in a board on the table to help brace the boxes so they can't shift.

http://munkinarts.com/images/glassStorage.jpg

Just a tip, if you make a map, do it once you get the boxes where you want them to live. I did mine as I filled it with the boxes on their back. It's not the same standing up :|

Oh, and I find if I can't get my fingers in the hole to get glass out, the tweezers work just fine to help extract them. Since the bench is right behind me when I took this photo, they're handy.

Imzadi
2008-06-06, 1:09am

open

closed

I absolutely love this storage container & how it closes. Has anyone seen any of these lately? Or something like it?

Dasi
2008-06-06, 4:05am
I got the shelving units at Sam's and then the fencing at lowes

simvet02
2008-06-07, 5:44am
I absolutely love this storage container & how it closes. Has anyone seen any of these lately? Or something like it?

I just saw one of these at my local Walmart in Lawrenceville, GA.

simvet02
2008-06-07, 5:47am
So many great idea. For now I have an old cabinet filled with the pvc pipes but they don't hold enough and take up so much room. I'm going to head to Lowes and get some fence post or the pickets. Whatever I can find to get more rods in there.

I had been looking at shoe cubbies this morning and they are just so expensive. Then I was going to have my woodworking hubby build one until I saw the fence post idea. Now he can just build a box for them to sit in.

thanks for the great idea,

theglasszone
2008-06-12, 3:53pm
Check it - I bought this tea cart from Big Lots ($19.99) screwed on these two square plastic crates ($4.99 each), and added my already cut PVC pipe in there - it rolls, won't tip (without a lot of effort) and was cheap as heck! I think I need a bumper sticker that reads "My OTHER car is a Tea Cart"!!!

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x280/theglasszone/LE%20GS%20Photos/GlassStorage.jpg

DeAnne

Dasi
2008-06-12, 4:28pm
Deanne

Nice idea!

Chemwapuwa
2011-05-07, 8:45pm
bump this is an old thread would love to see whats new in storage

Jackson River Glass
2011-05-09, 6:53pm
I have one of these: http://www.staples.com/Sandusky-Deluxe-Steel-Welded-Storage-Cabinet-72H-x-36W-x-18D-Light/product_459685?cmArea=home_box1

I bought it because it can handle the weight and you can lock it. I keep the doors closed, keeping my glass dust-free. DH cut a bunch of PVC pieces in various diameters to stack on the shelves. It's been great.