Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : 99.99% silver dust/shavings

bubblebabeuk
2006-09-23, 7:56am
I have seen some beads which have been rolled in little bits of 99.99% Silver. it looks like it might be some kind of gratings or shavings or silver dust? Where do you get it from? or do you make it yourself? by somehow grating silver bullion?
I have silver bullion, silver wire and silver foil, but what I am after isn't any of these really, its like fine silver grindings, I just don't get how you would make it?
Ideas?

Solana
2006-09-23, 8:02am
I believe it's a byproduct produced in many print labs. If I remember correctly, several graphic designers on LE have access to tons of it and can send you some. I'm not sure who exactly, but maybe one of them will respond to this thread. Good luck!

nagibeads
2006-09-23, 8:21am
it might have been Cosmo...

SuzyQ
2006-09-23, 8:42am
Can we see a picture of what you mean?

Because I have used the dust and it looks like balls and specs not necessarily shavings.

bubblebabeuk
2006-09-23, 9:25am
I was really strugling to explain what i mean, after spending most of today really lucking out on the search function with this one.
the small bits of silver do indeed melt into little tiny balls on the beads surface and that is what I want to achieve, I don't have a pic to show you I'm afraid, shavings was possibly a poor descriptive term on my part sorry.

SuzyQ
2006-09-23, 9:39am
Well if you could see me talk you would know I have a hard time communicating without a lot of hand signals, lol. Dust will give you balls of silver. But you can also get balls of silver by applying silver wire.

bubblebabeuk
2006-09-23, 9:43am
okay the technique I want to be able to try is shown on page 101 of Kimberley Adams "The Complete Book Of Glass BeadMaking" and she says "Silver Shavings and fine silver wire can be added to a glass bead to create beautifukl effects that diffwer from that of metal leaf or foil. To add Silver shavings to a bead, sprinkle them on a marver and roll the hot bead in them. the shavings will react with the hot glass in a way similar to leaf or foil, but the rsulting surface will probably be rougher, depending on how the silver is picked up. encasing the shavings with a transaprent glass magnifies the silver and results in more colour changes, and of course will produce a smooth finish"

The pictures in the book (pg101) show the silver shavings on a marver as well as added to a bead, sorry for not adding any pics but I imagine the book is covered by copywrite (and I was worried enough about just quoting text from the book without getting in trouble for thieving pics!).

The shavings dop seem to resemble dust more than what you'd think when you say shavings LOL? So any ideas how I make them or buy them?

bubblebabeuk
2006-09-23, 9:47am
Well if you could see me talk you would know I have a hard time communicating without a lot of hand signals, lol. Dust will give you balls of silver. But you can also get balls of silver by applying silver wire.

I have silver wire, I tried it was a big blobby disaster, I have a suspicion my wire may be a bit too thick! (its 20 guage) an attempt to add a dot of silver resulted in half the bead being coated in molten silver, not a good look, well not what I was trying for! also the wire just didnt want to stay on the bead, and that stuffs expensive to waste by dropping it in your lap and melting your skirt! when I could get it to stay on the bead was too molton and got mangled by the silver wire strangulating it, when the bead was any cooler the wire wouldnt stay on. I am hoping shavings are the answer now!

SuzyQ
2006-09-23, 9:49am
Ah, ok. Well I get silver shavings by sawing silver for silver work and that may be what she means. I would think you could cut up silver wire into little pieces to get the same affect. Or rub some silver on a big file to make a pile of shavings. I have no idea where to buy them.
The dust is a bit trickier but could create the same thing. Cosmo had them for sale as well Heidi (von something I can't remember)

Debi
2006-09-23, 9:51am
I have purchased silver powder here

http://www.micronmetals.com/silver.htm

I like using a small sifter to apply it to my beads

SuzyQ
2006-09-23, 9:52am
I have silver wire, I tried it was a big blobby disaster, I have a suspicion my wire may be a bit too thick! (its 20 guage) an attempt to add a dot of silver resulted in half the bead being coated in molten silver, not a good look, well not what I was trying for! also the wire just didnt want to stay on the bead, and that stuffs expensive to waste by dropping it in your lap and melting your skirt! when I could get it to stay on the bead was too molton and got mangled by the silver wire strangulating it, when the bead was any cooler the wire wouldnt stay on. I am hoping shavings are the answer now!

You do want a thin fairly flexible wire. Lay your wire on a marver with a long tail piece up and in your hand. Roll the bead on it as you wrap the wire around. Be quick because the heat will travel up to your hand. It takes some practice and use a very small low heat flame. When you are flashing it in the flame be sure to smoosh the balls a tiny bit on the bead. Some will fall off. You can grab them with tweezers and reapply too.

Debi
2006-09-23, 9:56am
Try using 28 or 30 gauge fine silver wire for your beads. If the wire gets a little too short to handle, hold it with a pair of tweezers (or similar tool)

bubblebabeuk
2006-09-23, 10:01am
I will definately have another go with the wire in that case. Thanks for the useful tips.

And if anyone thinks of where I could buy some silver dust from I would be very interested still. I had a brief look at the website you suggested Debi and will have to look into that further I think.

Cosmo
2006-09-25, 12:25pm
I have a bunch of the powder. Once I get through the next couple weeks, I'll get some up for sale. Too much going on until then, though. But, I use it all the time for fuming, or like frit. Works very well.

bubblebabeuk
2006-09-25, 11:48pm
excellant Cosmo I will keep an eye on your website in that case :grin:

I had another go last night with the silver wire, but it doesnt seem to want to stick to the bead at all, rolling the bead on top of the wire placed on a marver was a total disaster it just wont pick it up, I tried cutting the wire into weenie bits as well and it wouldnt pick that up either. I had to mash the stuff into the bead to get it on at all, which doesnt make for a pretty formed bead, more like a blobby mess! I tried spot heating the bead attatching the wire, allow bead to firm and then wrap wire around before melting it all again, which was vaguely more successful.

the wire must be too thick as the effect is nothing like what I was trying to achieve, the silver left a 1mm thick dark line where it had been wrapped (on Coral) and I was going for a delicate trail mark with tiny dots of silver in it. My wire is 30 guage which I got here in the UK.

Any ideas where I can get 30 guage 99.99% silver wire?

Kalera
2006-09-26, 12:51am
The key is getting the surface of the bead just hot enough, then bringing both the bead and teh wire close to the flame so you can drag the wire across the bead and leave a trail of small silver droplets.

Also, an easier way to get a "field" of silver droplets is to use fine silver mesh, which you can get rom Rio Grande.