Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : New studio - how to place torches

Janine
2006-09-23, 6:30pm
We have just bought a house (take posession in Dec) with an 11' by 34' workshop that runs along the back of the house. It will become the glass and silver studio. We both torch and have at least one friend with no studio, so we are putting in probably 4 torches. Here is a picture (the stuff is all the current owners):

We are now discussing whether to put in one table, with the torches facing in, and one big hood, or several individual stations that face the wall. Each torch willl have an oxy con and have to be attached to propane.

Any thoughts on which might be easier to use or set up? I lean toward a table, so I can see people while I torch and dh goes the other way. Thanks!!!

Wiley
2006-09-23, 7:29pm
What a great space! I like the table idea - it would be nice to be able to chat while torching...

How exciting!

sadiesmom
2006-09-23, 8:02pm
I think it's fun to torch with friends, and not as a solitary experience, so I would vote for the table. I have a friend here in MN with a wonderful set up & 4 torches (2 on each side of a table with central ventilation within the table itself, not a hood). Hmmm, I wonder if I have any pictures anywhere??

Jenfire
2006-09-23, 10:29pm
What about a center round table?
Jen

Janine
2006-09-23, 11:50pm
Denise, if you have any pictures, that would be great! I am having trouble visualizing!

We go in again next week with the house inspector, so I am going to get some more pictures and find out what size table we would need. I want friends who come over to be able to torch and like the social aspect. Classes has been really fun due to the interaction and getting to watch others!

born2snooze
2006-09-24, 12:41am
Round of square table in the middle will be cool. I remember Tank studio have this set up. I took this picture from their site, I'm not sure if this is okay, I will take it down soon as I know you seen it. Good luck! :D

bead crazy
2006-09-24, 12:58am
The studio where I go has the table in the middle. Coming from the cealing is ridged ducting then it comes down in front of each torch. The torch points into the front of the duct. It is slightly wider and points at the torch face. So each torch has its own ventalation. I like it because you can sit and talk with the people around you. They have on big furnace fan and it runs six tables.
Lori

Kalera
2006-09-24, 1:52am
Janine, what a killer space! Congratulations!

I tend to lean toward individual stations along the outside wall... I don't like working across from people because of popping glass, and also I don't know if you've seen Andrea's studio, but she has each station indiividually ventilated which just seems to make SO much sense!

Just Nancy
2006-09-24, 5:42am
What great space. That will be wonderful no matter what you do. I'd have to vote with Kalera if it were me setting up. I don't do real well worrying about popping glass, and if I have too much to watch I don't work.

Have fun with your new space I'm sure it will be perfect.

Becky Mason
2006-09-24, 10:09am
Janine,

With a space that is only 11 feet wide, I think you will find that along the wall is really the only thing that makes sense. If you try to go with a table in the middle, the ability to move around the studio will go away. Besides that, I agree with Kalera. You don't want to be across the table from someone (because of popping glass), and with your narrow space, you can't put in table wide enough to prevent this from happening.

If you go along the wall, you will have tons of space to move about.

Great space by the way. Can't wait to see what you do with it.
Becky

Janine
2006-09-24, 7:22pm
Thanks for the feedback!! Becky and Kalera, I had got my heart set on a separate studio after seeing yours, but I think this will work out.

I love the Tank studio, and that is what made me think table!

Popping glass. Yep, that is annoying. Hmmm.

I can see the logic of both sides, and will take both arguments into account. We have to have enough room to move around and put in glass, kiln etc, so individual might work better.

I have not seen Andrea's studio yet, but have heard great things. Obviously, I need to go to PT and take a class, and one from Michael too since I will be there, in order to research properly. Due diligence is so hard!!! :-D