Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : New-bee question on tools

Jonjerel
2005-08-29, 12:07pm
I realize everyone has their own opinion, which is what I want! I've just started lampwork, and would like to get some of my own tools. NOT the torch and kiln - too expensive for now, and I use the ones at a local place that rents space for working, but other tools. I haven't seen a thread on this, although maybe it's hidden. Some of my specific questions:

My local studio mostly does sculptures, paperweights, etc., and not beads. I've met beaders there who have been very nice and helpful, but I'm too full of questions to bother them when they're trying to make beads, so I want to get books. I've seen some suggestions on bead making books, and intend to get two of them (Passing the Flame and Making Glass Beads). Other/better suggestions? What about videos/DVDs? One bit of information I'd love to reference is the effect of flame temperature (and whatever else counts!) on the glass, both in terms of its workability and color.

Favorite places to buy tools? (Feel free to promote your place, but it'd be nice if you let me know if you're recommending your own place!) Do you go to different suppliers for different items?

What are the minimum tools you would recommend for making beads? I work boro glass now - what this studio trained me on - does this make a difference? What would be the "best case" tools - i.e., what would you recommend, even though they might not be "minimum" to start? (This would be especially helpful on materials.)

Mandrels - what material (graphite? stainless steel?), what bead release, what size (both in width and length)? I tend to like smaller beads, but I'm too new to know what I like to make! Hey, I'd be happy if I could get a bead to look like a bead! :lol:

Are molds really helpful in making basic beads, or just for the "fun" shapes? Again - what material? Brass? Graphite?

How soon would I need shapers? - or are these for advances beaders?

O.K., now for the "big one" - safety glasses. I've seen some heated discussions, and I don't want to start another, just looking for your own opinions - whether or not others agree or disagree! I've seen some "Reading glass" stick-ons, which I would assume are cheaper than prescription safety glasses (yes, probably not as good, though!), but haven't seen where I can buy them. I need some kind of reading glasses for close-up work, but would prefer not to wear reading glasses with safety glasses over them! If it matters, I wear contacts all day. Remember, I work mostly on boro glass for now. Can "boro" glasses be used for soft glass? I know the other way isn't suppose to be done, without the addition of some kind of clip-on.

What other suggestions do you have? I hope this isn't too long. Any information you can give me is appreciated. Maybe someday I'll be able to post a bead picture! You all make such fantastic beads, =D> I can only hope to make one that doesn't make you grimace!

Caroline

MikeAurelius
2005-08-29, 12:40pm
O.K., now for the "big one" - safety glasses. I've seen some heated discussions, and I don't want to start another, just looking for your own opinions - whether or not others agree or disagree! I've seen some "Reading glass" stick-ons, which I would assume are cheaper than prescription safety glasses (yes, probably not as good, though!), but haven't seen where I can buy them. I need some kind of reading glasses for close-up work, but would prefer not to wear reading glasses with safety glasses over them! If it matters, I wear contacts all day. Remember, I work mostly on boro glass for now. Can "boro" glasses be used for soft glass? I know the other way isn't suppose to be done, without the addition of some kind of clip-on.

Most of the bigger distributors carry glasses, so "where" to get them shouldn't really be a problem. My company makes readers in the soft glass filter, AUR-92 as well as the basic boro filter AGW-203, all we need to know is the frame selection, power, and how far apart your eyes are (pupillary distance). Oh, and some money ;)

Boro glasses CAN be used for soft glass, but they will be darker than soft glass filters. Many people who switch back and forth either have two separate pairs OR have a pair of soft glass filters and a boro clip on (which is really nothing more than a welder's clip on). As long as the clip is replaced about every 6 months or so, you should have no problems.

Now, for the rest...

I do a lot of off-mandrel work, and my main tools are a medium and large sized tweezers (smooth tipped, not serrated), a pair of forceps (serrated), a small "bead makers" paddle, a marble mold (I like the cubic 7-in-1 style), a small brass reamer (1 mm to 12 mm) and two 6" square graphite plates. These are the main tools that I use every day.

Occasionally, I'll use a larger reamer (either brass or graphite), a dental pick, a larger hand paddle (4" x 6").

When I'm doing nothing but beads, my tools are the small paddle, and the medium tweezers.

Rose Leslie
2005-08-29, 7:18pm
You are so lucky to be learning in Boro. It is a fantastic glass. I would go with what Mike says about tools. I don't work in Boro yet but have played in it at a class. In future I would love to work in it. Glasses are a must. You don't want to mess up your eyes. So I would look into this first then some of the tools. Most of the shaping tools presses are either brass or stainless steel. Good luck.

Jonjerel
2005-08-29, 7:22pm
Thanks, Mike! I see what you mean by using the non-serrated edge tweezers. For some reason, they use serrated edge tweezers at the studio, and I always have to flash off the marks!

The thing I have trouble finding are the little "stick on" correction pieces. They're about an inch - inch and a half in diameter and stick right on the glasses. Not nearly as nice as the ones you make - especially if you use those cool frames I saw in a previous thread! 8-)

Jonjerel
2005-08-29, 7:28pm
Rose, you posted just as I was answering Mike! I think you might be right about the glasses. Maybe I'll get good glasses first, since I can continue to use the studio's tools. (They also have glasses, so I'm not working without glasses! In fact, the first lesson the teacher spent at least a half hour talking about all the safety things - glasses, natural fiber clothes, watch out that the glass looks cool quickly even though it's hot - if only I could remember that last one! #-o ) I'm just afraid of ruining their tools!

Caroline

shawnette
2005-08-30, 2:12am
The stick ons you're talking about are the OptX 20/20 lenses. Do a search on eBay and they'll pop up or you can get them at www.suncoastbeads.com. they also sell them at Walgreens. I have them and they work great as magnifiers. They stick on with water, so if you're borrowing glasses, you won't have a problem with using them. (They peel right off and can be re-stuck) (Is that a word?).

Jonjerel
2005-08-30, 6:43am
That's what I wanted, Shawnette! Thanks so much.

Caroline