Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Acck! Leak between 02 and regulator!

Teague
2005-08-30, 6:53pm
So this my third tank of O2 with this set-up and the first and second times I checked the connection, etc... no problems. Now I set up the third tank and get a leak between the tank and the regulator! I can't tighted it any further, what else can I do?

Teaguie

paintingwithglass
2005-08-30, 7:59pm
Hi!! The one time I had an issue was on a late Friday afternoon. My dh called the oxygen guys and they suggested using teflon tape. One of the threads was worn on the oxygen tank stem. So, we put the teflon tape on the stem's threads then put the regulator on and tested for leaks, if there was one we were told to put another layer on and so forth. Worked fine for the weekend. On Monday when I returned the tank (empty) to my oxygen guys they put the oxygen tank into service to replace the stem on it. This was not a regulator issue but a oxygen tank stem issue. Also this was the first and only time so far that I had an issue. Each time I go to have my oxygen tanks filled, they switch them out with new tanks.

MikeAurelius
2005-08-31, 5:46am
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

NEVER PUT TEFLON TAPE ON THE REGULATOR THREADS THAT CONNECT TO THE OXYGEN TANK!!!!!!!!!

First of all - it is not the threads that seal the connection.

The regulator to oxygen tank is a metal to metal seal. If you look at the end of the regulator that fits into the oxygen tank valve, you will see the male end of a flare fitting, which matches up to the female flare fitting inside the valve on the oxygen tank.

Be sure that both of these fittings are clean and free of burrs.

Crack open the oxygen valve slightly to blow out any debris, then quickly close it.

Mount the regulator onto the oxygen tank, and start the thread on the nut. Hand tighten until the regulator is snug. Put a large wrench on the nut and tighten.

Test the connection. If it leaks, back off the nut and twist the regulator about 10 degrees and re-tighten.

If you do this several times and still cannot get a good seal, call your oxygen supply company - either the valve fitting may be damaged -or- the fitting on the regulator may be damaged.

But PLEASE, DO NOT use teflon on the valve threads!!!!!!!

paintingwithglass
2005-08-31, 6:41am
Nevermind.

CorriDawn
2005-08-31, 6:52am
what is wrong with teflon tape?

and btw.. technically it is not teflon tape, it is very thin polytetraflouroethylene sheeting. hah! teflon is a brand name

CorriDawn
2005-08-31, 6:56am
Hey Fay? Here is your set :evil:

InspirationToolworks
2005-08-31, 7:13am
There are two main types of gas connections... NPT or national pipe thread where the thread itself is tapered, and the thread provides the seal. This is the kind of connection where you should use teflon tape or pipe dope. Some places require the dope as better than tape.

The other kind is the mated taper kind, where one side of the connection has a male taper and the other one has a female taper. The threads are straight and are used to push the two tapers together. Teflon tape would be BAD here as Mike says.

Look at your connections. Do you see a tapered thread, or a straight thread with a rounded nose?

-Jeff

MikeAurelius
2005-08-31, 7:14am
Oh, I'm not suggesting they are wrong, I'm outright telling you they are wrong.

The nut that holds the regulator in place on the valve has nothing to do with the seal that keeps the oxygen from leaking. If it leaks, it isn't around the threads, it will be through the hole in the nut where the pipe runs from the valve to the regulator.

Putting teflon tape on the threads does absolutely NOTHING to stop the leak - it cannot, because that's not where the leak is. There's nothing to seal on the threads.

MikeAurelius
2005-08-31, 7:19am
Here's a picture of regulators, I've marked the spot where the leak is occuring, and where it is coming out.

Dale M.
2005-08-31, 8:24am
I wil chime in here and also state that oxy dealer is wrong suggesting teflon tape. Connection is specifically designed to work with out any sealant of any type....

This Image is of type/style that is oxygen bottle to regulator connection.

No tape/sealer, nada, never, zero, zip.....

Dale

Teague
2005-08-31, 10:31pm
Wow you guys really went to town. So I made BF help, we took the regulator off, blew some air threw the O2, fit it back together and it's working now. I have no idea why I didn't think to take it apart and put it back together in the first place. BF did scare me by positing that the regulator was broken, due to the piece of metal wrapped partway around between the guages and the washer part. But I think that is to keep it from being unscrewed too far? Based on the diagrams, it's certainly not the seal point.

Anyway, the diagrams were really helpful, especially the last one by Dale. Thanks

Teague