Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Chickens anyone? Even if you can only draw one.....

Just Nancy
2006-10-18, 12:38pm
Someone asked me to do some chickens. They would go on a bracelet. I usually do ones a little more simple or elementary.

Often I sketch things out with like boxes and shapes. I can't even come up with that for a chicken. Any suggestions?

squid
2006-10-18, 12:55pm
http://www.howtodrawit.com/hen.html

Check this out

Emily
2006-10-18, 2:30pm
What a great site! That reminds me of a Sharon Peters tip -- use "learn to draw" books, particularly ones designed for kids. You may have to change the order of things, because for beads any parts that stick out have to be done last, but it's a great way to visualize the shapes of things.

Just Nancy
2006-10-18, 4:05pm
Thanks. I did one similar to that, but on a round bead and no one can tell it is a chicken. I'll work on it some more. Or look around that site some more. Maybe something else will get me started.

Just Nancy
2006-10-20, 5:03am
I have two ideas so far. (In case anyone else is thinking about trying now. :lol:)

One is a round bead as a head. (Think lentil or coin shaped but I'll probably squish it by hand.) Then the waddle and cockscomb around the outside, the beak on the outside and an eye. Not sure if I'll come close, but it's a start.

Next one is a body. Probably a triangle of sorts. Then the head off one point and the tail off the opposite point. I'm thinking a tail sort of like That Girl's flip. Similar to Torch by Night's spider legs. (Yes, I'll probably write Amy to mention it.) If I end up with anything other than blobs, I'll post.

I can't tell if this is a just an unpopular topic or if people think I'm out to copy Sharon Peter's adorable chickens. I can assure you, that's not what I'm looking for. First because it isn't want I want to do, and I wouldn't if I did. Second because when I have one it will be purchased from her.

StLouisBiker
2006-10-20, 5:20am
Nancy, I saw some adorable chickens that were made on heart shaped beads with heads on the side of the heart. I have no idea who made them but they were a very clever design and made so well. It was quite a while ago but I'll see if I have a copy in my inspiration file.

Just Nancy
2006-10-20, 5:52am
Sounds interesting. Not sure I can make a heart shape any better than a triangle. :lol: But, I'll tell myself that no 2 chickens are alike.

I am doing 3 bracelets for the same lady. She likes my cows and wants one with chickens. I'm having a really hard time coming up with anything, let alone something similar.

I've appreciated all the comments I've gotten, you never know where they'll lead.

TessKay
2006-10-20, 7:27am
Shameless plug for my friend..... Dawn (tradebeads) just did a chicken press for someone that is fantastic! PM her and ask to see it.

Just Nancy
2006-10-20, 7:40am
Will do. Thanks.

Emily
2006-10-20, 8:11am
Nancy, I saw some adorable chickens that were made on heart shaped beads with heads on the side of the heart. I have no idea who made them but they were a very clever design and made so well. It was quite a while ago but I'll see if I have a copy in my inspiration file.

You may be thinking of Janet Crosby. Her business name has "firefly" in it, but I'm not sure exactly what it is. I think she did some chicken hearts for a Corina challenge a couple of years ago, so they might still be on Corina's website somewhere, if the "hearts" challenge is still there. (I always meant to get one of her chickens -- yet another unchecked-off entry on my "to be collected" list.)

Just Nancy
2006-10-20, 8:55am
TessKay,
I can't find her. I've tried Dawn (tradebeads) and Tradebeads. I find tradebears. Is it my eyesight (I really should wear my glasses)?

StLouisBiker
2006-10-20, 8:13pm
Yes! It's Janet Crosby, Firefly Lampwork. I think these are great. http://www.beadartists.org/Gal392_Chicken_Beads.asp . Janet is so clever to have 'invented' these.

If you can make a triangle, or have a triangle press, you can make a heart.

HelenC
2006-10-20, 8:41pm
Hi Nancy
How about these. I found this picture a while ago when surfing for beads.
Unfortunately I don't know who made them and I hope they don't mind my posting them.

Regards
Helen

StLouisBiker
2006-10-20, 8:48pm
Hi Helen. Welcome to LE. It's good to have you with us. Cute chickens.

k.t.
2006-10-20, 9:09pm
I can't believe - I made some chickens today. Started with a round bead, let it drop to one side for the tail. Added dots all over, then eyes and a beak. Easy peasy and cute. I'll try to post a pic.

k.t.

acmegirl
2006-10-20, 10:48pm
Yes it's Janet Crosby from Firefly Glass Studio who makes the supa-cool heart-shaped chickens......I've LOVED her work for a long time and (I think) through this site she found out I did neon signs.....I made her a custom neon sign for her new studio.....How cool to be able to connect with someone I've admired for so long....Here's the sign I made....(if anyone's curious)45613

tradesbears
2006-10-21, 6:07am
it's me

i have not finshed it yet, but yes i'm working on a chichen press for someone.

but here is the start of it. I'm hand carving it, so its taking some time to make.
;)

Just Nancy
2006-10-21, 7:04am
Helen,
Cute beads. I wonder who'se they are. I won't be copying them but I really love them.

KT,
Post if you like them. I'm enjoying the inspiration.

Acmegirl,
I always love your work. I still would love to find out how I could bend just a little neon tubing without going all hog wild on a new set up.

Tradesbears,
OK. It is you. I was going to pm you but wasn't sure you were the right person. Fabulous press. Wow. I think my friend wants something less realisitic.

Closest to the ones posted by Helen, but a bit more realistic. I'm thinking the round or triangle bead to start with a head and tail. I hope to try today when other le gals are here. Maybe they'll inspire me. :lol:

glassymom
2006-10-21, 7:23am
hi, here are a few i've made. I absolutly love chickensThey are all over my kitchen and hopefully some day in my yard!!!
I wish I had better pics but I no longer have the chickens so I cant retake.
sue

CharArvelle
2006-10-21, 1:39pm
It's great to see all types of chickens! Here's an old class handout sheet that I did years ago. Enjoy:waving:

Just Nancy
2006-10-21, 3:54pm
Charlotte,
Cool. Thanks so much.

x_phoenician
2006-10-21, 7:29pm
Hi Nancy,

I made some chicken beads as well (special for my mom). I make mine using the heart shape but I don't flatten the bead. One side of the heart has the beak and the other end... instead of dots going down the side I make the tail fan out horizontally. If I find a pic I'll add to my post. My inspiration was from a set of ceramic chickens my grandmother used to have in her yard.

Good luck with your chick-chick-chickens.

~Tracy
Ok- just made this in about 5 minutes. Maybe it'll help give you an idea of what I'm trying to explain (and then maybe not, it's kinda sad as far as tutorials go) :p And my chickens are white, not blue. ;)

Just Nancy
2006-10-22, 6:54am
Sue,
Your picture wouldn't load for me before. Cute chickens. Love that you made them free range. :)

Tracy,
Thanks for the tutorial. I tried one yesterday, and it's a start but so far from being show I won't even mention how bad it is.

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I hope to work again later this afternoon.

x_phoenician
2006-10-22, 12:05pm
Nancy, I found the necklace...

I made this last year when I was still a newbie (notice marks from dirty glass tweezers). :roll: This wasn't my first chicken either so don't be embarassed about yours. Mom and I were laughing about this today, at the time I made these we thought they were awesome. A year later I look at them and can't believe I didn't clean the scum off the tweezers first (from sticking my tools directly in the flame of course).

The mother of pearl beads are supposed to be eggs.
I like how Charlotte made hers with an open beak, especially with that pose, looks like it's running and squawking.

Just Nancy
2006-10-22, 4:38pm
Tracy,
Still very cool. I appreciate you posting. It helps tie together the tutorial and the glass. And it definately is heads and shoulders above mine so far. I'll take which ever beak actually looks like one at this point, but you're right. I kind of like the one that looks like it is squawking.

I know what you mean about looking back later. I have a bracelet promised for next July. I'm thinking I should make it now in case I don't want to go back to where I am now with things. Then if I'm doing similar only better, I can remake it.

Rose Leslie
2006-10-22, 7:58pm
I made two this morning. They will be for the kids next door. They have a chicken that allways comes over to our yard. One is white that I made and the other grey with black speckles on the sides. I hope they turn out. I will post some of the photos of them when they turn out.

Parrotise
2006-10-31, 8:01am
I was reading through the interviews at beadingtimes and saw where Helen Simon did some adorable chickens! It made me think of this thread. Hope the link works!

http://www.beadingtimes.com/beadmaker0304.htm

Vicki

Just Nancy
2006-10-31, 3:55pm
Adorable. Thanks for the link Vicki.

Rose Leslie
2006-10-31, 7:54pm
Finally got the beads cleaned and photographed. So here are the attempt of the chicken. Only I think one looks like a duck.

Just Nancy
2006-11-01, 8:36am
Rose,
Those are great. I don't have anything yet that will survive life off the mandrel. Things aren't melted in well enough and I know they will pop off. I'm going to have to get cracking on these or I'll never have anything to show. I'd be embarassed at this point to show mine.

Just Nancy
2006-11-01, 8:40am
Looking back, mine is most closely similar to what Tracy's posted. I try hard to only read things and not take the instructions to my torch. That way I'm less likely to copy it directly. (Obviously her tutorial stuck with me.) I hope she doesn't mind.

Hopefully I'll have something to post later.

Rose Leslie
2006-11-01, 9:01am
That is what I felt but did any way. The one looks like it has something stuck in its craw. Haaaa. Just ate a worm that was a snake or something. Get going. It is fun. Try useing some scissors to cut into the feathers to separate them. Then flash them into the flame to shape them a little. Have some fun.

Just Nancy
2006-11-01, 12:39pm
Rose,
Thanks for the pep talk. I tried two. I forgot I meant to cut the tail and see what happened. I'll probably share the results at least for the laugh.

I'm out of oxygen so once these come out of the kiln I won't have anything till I get to the welding supply store.