Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : new studio

Jody Lee
2006-10-22, 6:23pm
Hi all!

I am in the process of setting up my studio in the basement - don't worry, I've been reading the safety threads every day. I am excited - I put my table together today - in case anyone is looking at getting a cheap table that is stainless steel top, check out IKEA's Udden line - it's actually part of a free standing kitchen line, and being IKEA, you can buy what you like for it. I bought the basic cabinet (just the top and frame - (drawers, doors and shelves are options) and put it together tonight in less than an hour. The legs level and it's a good size work top, and perfect height for standing (for me, I'm short - 5'4"). And at $114 Cdn, it was very affordable, for something non-burnable :) Check out www.ikea.ca/udden for the pic and dimensions (I got the console). It's available for purchase online too. I'm not trying to advocate any particular store, I just thought I would pass information along too.

Whee!!! Next steps are ventilation, NG hookup for my torch and I'm a bead makin' woman!! Pics when studio is finished will come :-o

meadowesky
2006-10-22, 6:52pm
wow that is a great work table!! and really it is hard to even build one for that price!

squid
2006-10-22, 7:29pm
I can't believe how cheap that is for stainless steel! If I am doing the conversion correctly, it is about 4 ft long. I might have to get one of those

Megan
2006-10-22, 8:16pm
That is really a great table. I went to the Ikea Shop at Home site and was totally surprised it was one of the items they had available for home delivery. I am thinking I might have to order one. Its a perfect height also..

Jody Lee
2006-10-23, 4:43am
Yeah, and I'll tell you, it's not flimsy - it's 65 pounds in the box! Very sturdy. :)

Jody Lee
2007-01-25, 1:49pm
Ok, this has been way too long in the running, but finally took things into my own hands (and chequebook) - the gas line is in! Got a beautiful 500 cfm hood from Home Despot ages ago and dh is going to hook that up this weekend along with the makeup. Hoses come soon, along with my brand new AF99 kiln (and a wee bit more glass too) from Nortel (God bless Jean...)

I have been using my dh's propane torch to practice on and I am so freakin' happy I'll have this up in a short while!

Pictures will come hopefully next week!

Jody Lee
2007-01-26, 12:38pm
Whoa! Kiln and hoses and bit o' extra glass came today - not 24 hours after ordering! :)

khebden
2007-01-26, 8:15pm
Wow!!! That is an awesome table for an even better price!!! Thanks for sharing, would have never thought to look at ikea, but they are awesome form deconstructed furniture and their prices...

I am so excited for you and your spiffy new studio! Please post pics when your burning!

Jody Lee
2007-02-27, 11:45am
Here's a link to the studio pictures - will paint it when it's a bit warmer and feeling better.
http://jodywieler.spaces.live.com/

It's under the studio folder in pictures

Louise
2007-02-28, 8:37am
Wow great idea Jody, I have a small piece of steel and have been thinking I need something better. I was thinking of going to a fabricating shop.....but now I think I will go to Ikea and I bet it is less expensive.
Thanks for sharing.

magicannik
2007-03-19, 3:57pm
Thanks Jody, i was looking around for a table like that and hadn't seen it when I last went to Ikea. I'll have to check again!