Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Backgrounds for Frit

CLabora
2005-09-03, 12:14pm
Help - Help!

I am in a crunch to make some simple beads and was wondering if anyone could share what are good back grounds for the following Frit. Also do you encase or not.

1. Monet
2. Bora Bora
3. Blue Lakes
2. Safari

Any help with tips is greatly appreciated!

ElizabethCreations
2005-09-03, 12:21pm
monet : I really like some periwinkle or violet background
Bora Bora : try some dark pink (256) or pale ivory. I made some beads on clear and it was nice.
Blue Lakes : I don't have this frit... so I don't know :???:
Safari : Ivory, White or Sage green

I am working with Moretti so this is all Moretti colors. I hope this helped you a bit.

ElizabethCreations
2005-09-03, 12:25pm
About the encasing : I used to encased but sometimes, effect are nicer without any encasing. Try both. Experimentation is usually the best way to get unexpected effects!

CLabora
2005-09-03, 1:02pm
Thanks Sharlee!! I will give it a try. I just was not sure what the strong colors on each frit were, so did not want to use a background where the frit colors were going to be lost. Right now I am pressed for time so don't have a lot of time for trial and error- but the again that is the stiry of my life!

Many Thanks!

Cecilia :waving:

DreamMuse
2005-09-03, 6:06pm
When you're in a crunch, you can't go wrong with Clear *smiles*

Also, I make beads with Tutti Frutti, and I use a periwinkle base, cover in clear, roll in the frit, then cover with clear again. it makes the frit float on top of the core, and looks really awesome!

WhiskerWood
2005-09-03, 6:43pm
Cecilia :wave:

I tried the Boro Bora frit on Medium Topaz and it was nice...
I have not tried encasing it.

I have so much frit I really need to play with it more! LOL :roll:

CLabora
2005-09-03, 8:12pm
When you're in a crunch, you can't go wrong with Clear *smiles*

Also, I make beads with Tutti Frutti, and I use a periwinkle base, cover in clear, roll in the frit, then cover with clear again. it makes the frit float on top of the core, and looks really awesome!

Oh! That sounds NICE! Must try that tomorrow! =D> Thank you!

CLabora
2005-09-03, 8:20pm
Cecilia :wave:

I tried the Boro Bora frit on Medium Topaz and it was nice...
I have not tried encasing it.

I have so much frit I really need to play with it more! LOL :roll:

Thank you Nichole! I made a bead this afternoon with BoraBora and white - I think I am in love! I wil try with amber tomorrow.

I am like you - after coming back from a retreat in Birmingham a year an 1/2 ago - our very own Shawn 'the frit pusher' ;-) turned me on to Val's frit. I then proceeded to order every kind I could get my hands on - of course I was always at a loss on how to use it to turn awesome breads so it just sat on the shelf. After seeing Shawn's incredibly beautiful beads at the Gathering I decided to give frit a try again - of course by purchasing more!!

Yes I am a glass addict! But I love it! :)

Best,
Cecilia

Lisi
2005-09-03, 10:31pm
Boro Bora on Uroboros transparent medium amber and on Uroboros white. :) I love this stuff and tonight I tried it on clear, so we will see how that turns out! :D

ltsexpressions
2005-09-03, 11:19pm
1. Monet

try copper green... I can't rem. which I use most with this one.... just an idea!

2. Bora Bora

Sue makes TDF ones with this over clear....

3. Blue Lakes

love this over any dark background, black, cobalt, etc.... esp zigzag encased wth clear...

4. Safari

over white, zigzag encased, then melted in....

PM me re: BYOB/G day at my house October 15th.... you are welcome to come join us! Saw Deb Park tonight at SantaCaliGon and she said you guys were going to a show in Oct 21stish... good luck there!

CLabora
2005-09-04, 9:00am
Hey Lisa!

I love those beads! I made a bead yesterday Bora Bora over white moretti but did not get the brick reds that you did. Are there any tricks to working with this frit?
Uroboros is one glass I have never tried or have - I wonder if the frit especially reacts with it, or maybe is the batch if frit I have.
Any other tips on how to work it?

CLabora
2005-09-04, 9:05am
Hey girl! Good to hear from you~ Thanks for all of the tips! When you say zigzag encase, is that all you do? Do you just run clear in a zig zag? Or do you further encase in clear after the ziggzag? Any Pics?
With the silver lake, do you reduce to get metallics?

I made a bead with monet over lt. turqu, w/ purple, blue and yellow flowers. All the flowers disapeared into the background except for the purple ones. Still a cool bead - I need to post pics, but I am so short on time! ](*,)

DreamMuse
2005-09-04, 11:29am
Lisa, your beads are TDF!!!

Cecilia, I'd love to see some pictures once you get them done *smiles* I don't have any of the frits you have, but I could post the ones with Tutti Frutti if you like *S*

krista michael
2005-09-04, 11:56am
Must.....go....get.....out....my....frit! LOL :lol:

Lisi
2005-09-05, 6:35am
Hey Lisa!

I love those beads! I made a bead yesterday Bora Bora over white moretti but did not get the brick reds that you did. Are there any tricks to working with this frit?
Uroboros is one glass I have never tried or have - I wonder if the frit especially reacts with it, or maybe is the batch if frit I have.
Any other tips on how to work it?

Oops! I'm glad you said that! I just remembered that the Boro Bora on those beads is over Uroboros white, not Moretti! :oops:

Have you got the Uroboros white? If you do then great! Give that a try. Are you using an oxy/propane torch? But if you're on a HH you could still get these colors to come out. I think this frit is primarily a 'kiln striking' mix, so make sure that those beads have had at least an hour at annealing temp before you ramp down. I make mine in the middle of my sessions which are usually 4-6 hours work time.

If you batch anneal, you can still get the same rich colors, just make sure that they soak at anneal temp. for an hour or more. I know this because I've made some color sample beads to see what the frit would look like and let them cool in a fiber blanket. They were cat pee yellow with splotches of pink and tan. Then I had put them in the kiln at the beginning of ramp-up, and later they were the nice deep color. :)

Here's what I made the other night - Boro Bora over Lauscha clear. You can use any clear I'm sure, but my Lauscha rods are the 12mm ones and these beads turned out bigger than what I usually make. Three wraps on the mandrel and they are 14mm diameter, lol! :cool:

Shawn T
2005-09-05, 11:53am
Lisa, My dear friend Cecilia has a great set up.
She is one a propane/oxy mixed torch and has a wonderful kiln to anneal her beads right away.
My Boro Bora frit on Clear gave me lot of greens and blues along with the brown/tan tones, when I used Moretti clear but I didn't use a lot of frit on them. Need to get some good pic of them they are hard to photograph.

I love your BoroBora on white, Beautiful beads!
Shawn

DawnT
2005-09-05, 12:37pm
1. Monet

try copper green... I can't rem. which I use most with this one.... just an idea!

2. Bora Bora

Sue makes TDF ones with this over clear....

3. Blue Lakes

love this over any dark background, black, cobalt, etc.... esp zigzag encased wth clear...

4. Safari

over white, zigzag encased, then melted in....

PM me re: BYOB/G day at my house October 15th.... you are welcome to come join us! Saw Deb Park tonight at SantaCaliGon and she said you guys were going to a show in Oct 21stish... good luck there!

Stacy,

I'm curious about what you mean with zigzag encasing too. Does that mean you wind around the mandrel leaving gaps between for the frit to rise up or do you literally zigzag from mandrel to mandrel? Or does it make a diff? I would love to see pic too!

CLabora
2005-09-05, 1:07pm
Thank you Lisa! Uraboros is not Bulleye, right? I think I have most every kind of soft glass, except Uraboros. Maybe I will do sample beads with all of the other kinds (Moretti, bullseye, and some I got fromOlympic Color rod - don't know what it is) to see what I get.
Yes, I work on a Lynx, oxy conc/propane tank. Yes Kiln anneal - but that about kiln strike is good to know!

Thanks! - Love your beads!