Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : how do you make flames?

jjwiskus
2006-10-31, 5:22am
I love the beads with flames!!!! Can someone help me out and let me know how they are made?
thanks

Robinj
2006-10-31, 5:51am
Mr. Booger generously shared his tutorial somewhere...

Robinj
2006-10-31, 5:56am
Got it! http://www.beadingtimes.com/beadmaker1105.htm

Great pictures of Sheryll's beads too! (I just love those guys!)

Electabead
2006-10-31, 6:59am
Those flame beads are awesome!

Robinj
2006-10-31, 7:25am
They both sell on ebay -- Mr Booger just had 3 very different flame beads end. Keep watching here, he only makes them occasionally
http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQfgtpZ1QQfrppZ25QQsassZboogerboogerbeadsQQssPa geNameZSTRKQ3aMEFSQ3aMESOI

Parrotise
2006-10-31, 7:55am
Robin, thank you so much for that link! I'm having the best time reading all of the interviews! Sorry jj...didn't mean to hijack your thread!

Vicki

jjwiskus
2006-11-01, 12:24am
no problem, thanks for all of the information!

beadysam
2006-11-06, 4:47am
I love Mr Boogers flame beads. I've had a go at the tut and I'm really pleased with the effect. I'd love to know if anyone who does these type of beads (encased BS) has had any breaking problems? I know you have to neutralise with vinegar if the BS is on the outside but I'm not sure how to do it for encased BS - its probably not possible. Does the BS keep doing its stuff even encased or does the encasing keep it safe from cracks - similar to crackle beads?
Love to hear your views
SAM xx

Ms. Booger
2006-11-07, 3:24pm
Sam,
BS is a good term for it. It took me a year to get them not to crack. I still have that problem now and again. First you have to use fresh baking soda. If you leave it set out moisture build up in it then when you hit it with the flame it hardens up only to surface when you think your done. The bead will crack. Next start with a clear foot print on the mandrel then heat up the clear rod and stick it in the BS. Start to burn it off(it bubbles like crazy) now lay it on your foot print. This part is very important I must of said this a dozen times when I demoed at the Gathering. MAKE SURE YOU BURN ALL THE BAKING SODA OUT OF THE GLASS BEFORE YOU ENCASE IT. It will stop bubbling. If you don't get it burned out your bead will crack.
Hope this Helps
Mr Booger hiding in Ms. Boogers sign on

beadysam
2006-11-07, 3:34pm
Thank you sooooo much for taking the time to answer my post. Your flame beads are so vibrant, when I saw the tut I just had to have a go. Obviously I'd never sell any that I make but they are such fun to do aren't they? I'll move my BS back into the house rather than leaving it in a damp shed and I'll make sure I really burn off every last bit of the powder. I certainly didn't on the first one I made - there were huge bubbles everywhere! It is such a pretty or dramatic effect depending on how you do it that I'll be playing with this for a while.
Thank you once again
SAM xxx

raindance
2006-11-18, 11:24am
When I make flame beads, I make a black barrel base bead. Then I use striped coral to make a line around the center of the bead, melt in, then use a purple red stringer to make a line down the center of the coral one. Using a black stringer, I heat the areas I want to twist and twist close to the coral and red lines on the bead. Twist in different directions to get the flame effect.