Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Yin Yang bead?

ajwhite
2005-09-04, 6:09pm
Hi everyone!

Has anyone been successful making a good Yin Yang bead? I've been trying a half and half lentil and then adding extra blobs to the right and left of the line but it really isn't working.

Any ideas? Back to the torch....

Audra

DawnT
2005-09-04, 6:21pm
LOL I've been pondering this one too. I was wondering if some kind of swirling would work. Anyone else done this before? :-D

Gail Joseph
2005-09-04, 6:21pm
I'm not sure what became of my photos, but Ill try to take one tomorrow. I make a bead 1/2 and 1/2 of the two colors (actually, I make two beads right next to eachother, and then melt together. After it has rounded up I spot heat along the color line and with a fairly thick stringer in one of the colors I do a bit of a twist (maybe 1/4 turn?). It isn't perfect, but its the best I've come up with so far (I've also gone on to make it into a lentil, and have done it making a lentil first, then twisting). I have a potential customer whose log is a sun-gold and sea-blue yin and yange, and he wants me to make beads to fit his theme.

I'd love to hear other ideas, too!--Gail

ajwhite
2005-09-04, 6:40pm
I tried that too Gail - maybe my stringer wasn't thick enough because I didn't get enough pull/twist. When it was too hot I got too much of a twist. I'll try again with a thicker stringer and see..this may be one of those ppp things.

I'll let you know!

Audra

Lara
2005-09-05, 12:45pm
I'm not sure what became of my photos, but Ill try to take one tomorrow. I make a bead 1/2 and 1/2 of the two colors (actually, I make two beads right next to eachother, and then melt together. After it has rounded up I spot heat along the color line and with a fairly thick stringer in one of the colors I do a bit of a twist (maybe 1/4 turn?). It isn't perfect, but its the best I've come up with so far (I've also gone on to make it into a lentil, and have done it making a lentil first, then twisting). I have a potential customer whose log is a sun-gold and sea-blue yin and yange, and he wants me to make beads to fit his theme.

I'd love to hear other ideas, too!--Gail

Yeah, ditto here to what Gail said. If you want to use transparents, what I like to do is make a small barrel of white, then build up disks on each end of the white, now melt all this in. A white line will be pulled up from the barrel so you will have a white line between the 2 colors. If you build the disks tall enough, you will get a ROUND bead. Now do the twisting and you will have a ying/yang looking bead.

rightbrainbeads
2005-09-05, 8:22pm
Audra, I used to make small yin yang symbols on beads and had good luck laying down a glob of white, mashing it down and melting it in until it was flat, then putting a smaller dot/glob of intense black (has to be intense black so it doesn't turn purple on you) in the upper right 'corner' of the circle. I melted the black in a bit and mashed it down until it was the width that I wanted the fattest part of the black half to be, then I took a pick and pulled some of the black glass down and around to make the rest of it. Does that make any sense?!! With a little marvering you'll get a sharp, crisp yin yang symbol.

lynne

ajwhite
2005-09-06, 6:15am
Well, I tried again last night and it didn't work - I can get a great half and half bead but then the twist screws it all up. Lynne - do you have a pic? I don't think I quite understand but let me see - I make any bead and put down a dot of white - smash in and melt flush then put a small dot of black - smash around until it is the right width and then try to pull part of it around? I'll try it this evening. This is getting very frustrating - I can't sculpt almost anything but this has got me :???:

Thanks!
Audra

rightbrainbeads
2005-09-06, 10:25am
Yeah, it sounds like you've got it!! :grin:

No, I don't have any pics and my torch isn't set up now so I can make one. If you were making it on a lentil, the white would cover the whole lentil and then the black dot would be about half that amount of glass, mashed down a bit and pulled around in the shape of the yin yang symbol.