Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : inexpensive glass storage idea

donnam
2006-11-11, 8:03pm
I wanted to let everyone who was interested know that Home Depot sells plastic downspout for $6 for a 10 foot piece and that is what my husband is using to build my glass rack instead of fence railing. Cheaper and lighter than the fencing.
Donna

Dasi
2006-11-12, 8:36am
I started out using downspout also. I bought the plastic not the metal. I thought it worked great. I was happy with it but it did take up a lot of space for 100 colors. It holds over 4 pounds of one color.
Then I finally saw the fence railing and bought some. (I found it outside in the yard of home depot) I like it much better and I am slowly switching over to just fence railing as I can afford a few more pieces. the downspout is just too big for most of the colors I use. The fence railing is just the perfect size and takes up less room. It also stacks much better. Think about it. It is only about $2 more for 10 feet. I wish I had found it before I bought about 10 downspouts and cut them up.

pandora
2006-11-12, 11:44am
I've been using downspout, but, when you have a lot of colors, and the stack gets large, it doesn't hold up too well. You can subdivide the space & use for 2 colors (what I've been doing but a little messy).

One of these days I'm going to get off my butt & go to my local hardware store to get what I believe it the optimal cheap, solid solution: a wood shoe rack/organizer.

the store in my neighborhood has one that's roughly 4'x6' with 8"x8" compartments for $35.

I haven't done it yet (cause there's always so much to do) and I've invested so much time & energy into the downspout thing....

But, I've been on a bit of an organizing binge (one room at a time) and am getting new storage solutions. This one's now at the top of my list!

i don't know if this is something everyone has easy access to. In hawaii people take their shoes off when the enter a house. Most homes have them by the front door...and most hardware stores carry them :)

SadiesJewels
2006-11-12, 6:47pm
Yep I found the same thing. My glass is stacked on a shelf above my kiln due to lack of space and the downspout wasn't quite solid enough to support all that glass. Also, for some reason I felt compelled to fill each opening (they had a mix of colors) but now that I've changed over to fence post it's much tidier and I realised how much glass I had!

Time for me to get some new fence post I think. This time I'll try and cut my own ...

sadie

murf
2006-11-13, 3:37pm
I was at home depot looking into this fence post and down spout storage solution, but for me as a newbie, the size was just to big. there was a solution for me though, in the same area there are pvc 2x6(1 3/4"x 5 1/2") for fencing, that have structual dividers already in them. I paid $16 for 16'. One can easy get 1 3/4 lb of 5mm rod in to each cubby, or a few rods short of two lbs, they stack like a dream due to the width, no need for milk carts.Shown are two sections stacked. I also think if one stair stepped them by a inch increment, and glued them together that it be easier to view and easier to pull the needed rods, just a thought48275

Dasi
2006-11-13, 5:12pm
Those are the fencing I was mentioning above. I love them. I have not glued mine. I just stacked them in 3 high cubbies or bookcases without backs I bought at target. I also stacked them on top of each other also and they work perfect.

murf
2006-11-13, 6:20pm
sorry Dasi,
your right, there fence railing. being sixteen foot long could be a problem for some to get home. Home Depot would not cut them in half for me, but i had a saw in the truck. i used a miter saw to cut them to lenght as well.

Glassgoodies
2006-11-13, 6:32pm
sorry Dasi,
your right, there fence railing. being sixteen foot long could be a problem for some to get home. Home Depot would not cut them in half for me, but i had a saw in the truck. i used a miter saw to cut them to lenght as well.

They also come in 8ft lengths and if you ask nicely, or show a little leg, they'll cut it to fit in your car.

della
2006-11-13, 8:15pm
I've been using downspout, but, when you have a lot of colors, and the stack gets large, it doesn't hold up too well. You can subdivide the space & use for 2 colors (what I've been doing but a little messy).

One of these days I'm going to get off my butt & go to my local hardware store to get what I believe it the optimal cheap, solid solution: a wood shoe rack/organizer.

the store in my neighborhood has one that's roughly 4'x6' with 8"x8" compartments for $35.

I haven't done it yet (cause there's always so much to do) and I've invested so much time & energy into the downspout thing....

But, I've been on a bit of an organizing binge (one room at a time) and am getting new storage solutions. This one's now at the top of my list!

i don't know if this is something everyone has easy access to. In hawaii people take their shoes off when the enter a house. Most homes have them by the front door...and most hardware stores carry them :)

Just be sure that if you have to put it together yourself that the pegs are NOT plastic, but metal. I put together a cheap fiberboard cube set and last summer, the ambient heat from the weather combined with the weight of the glass melted the plastic pegs so that the shelves sagged and gave way. Broke some glass. I replaced them with sturdy wood screws and no more problem.

jaci
2007-03-29, 12:20am
I was using the stacked method and then i came up with pvc pipes cut in STAPLES crates! I drilled holes and put wheels on them and mow they go wherever i need them, under the bench or anywhere! hach holds aprox.30-50 different colors depending on the size of your pvc piping, and it is cheap. wheels from home depo like 1.99 a piece pvc like 3 bucks for a 8 ft length and 5 bucks for the crate. i also used an epoxy when i bolted on the wheels, glass is heavy!
________
Iolite temp (http://www.vaporshop.com)

barbaracollins
2007-03-29, 2:14am
Here is my storage with the fence posts. Really sturdy. 63696

Jody Lee
2007-03-29, 4:13am
I updated my glass storage from heavy cardboard tubes to the paint spinner rack from Michaels - God bless those 40 % off coupons!!

cgreagor
2007-03-29, 10:45am
wow! Glass heaven here I come!

debkauz
2007-03-29, 1:16pm
Ohhhhh Barbara....I'm in lust!

Venessa
2007-03-29, 1:20pm
I was using the stacked method and then i came up with pvc pipes cut in STAPLES crates! I drilled holes and put wheels on them and mow they go wherever i need them, under the bench or anywhere! hach holds aprox.30-50 different colors depending on the size of your pvc piping, and it is cheap. wheels from home depo like 1.99 a piece pvc like 3 bucks for a 8 ft length and 5 bucks for the crate. i also used an epoxy when i bolted on the wheels, glass is heavy!

Do you have a pic? This sounds a lot like what I would like to do, I just need to see how you put it all together.

Islandgirl
2007-03-29, 1:22pm
My storage was perfect as long as I was getting 39 inch rods, now that they are all 12 or 13 inches I just have piles of glass.... One shelf of a cupboard for every COE! I need Barbs storage! I think I have at least that much glass too!

I was going to use PVC pipe but you waste so much space with round tubes and you need something to hold them....

Lynne

jaci
2007-03-31, 10:47am
i'll get some pics this week!

________
HOW TO MAKE HOMEMADE VAPORIZER (http://vaporizerinfo.com/)

Islandgirl
2007-04-01, 4:37am

How deep are your storage units... Your glass is sticking out a fair distance so are you cutting each 16 foot piece into 10.1 inch segments that gets 19 units per piece.

Lynne

Flonche
2007-04-01, 12:35pm
Damn!! I have been driving all over the place all week end, this stuff is nowhere to be seen...

barbaracollins
2007-04-02, 3:19am
I had them cut into 12 inch pieces. The rails on the far right are a little shorter because they were the leftovers. They work well for the usual 13 inch Morettie etc rods.

And then I bought Bullseye, which is on the left and sticks out more. If I would have thought about it a little more, I would have had them cut longer for the bullseye.

beadsoncypress
2007-04-02, 3:29am
When I was at a studio recently, I saw the large fence posts divided up into half by inserting a flat piece of plastic (or anything) diagonally across each opening. So....if you don't need a lot of space for say, stringers, or less used colors, you can double the amount of "cubbies"......neat idea huh??

Islandgirl
2007-04-02, 5:04am
Yea I know what you mean about Bullseye rods being longer.. Maybe we should start a thread suggesting that they- Bullseye get with the program and make their rods the same length as everyone else!:confused:

My Bullseye rods are stuck in the bottom of my 39 inch rod holder, not sure what I'll do with that when I run out of 39 inch rods.....

Lynne

PixieFireBeads
2007-04-02, 6:25am
I really wish I'd seen the fence posts before I started doing the pvc tubing. The old man threatens that when I have all the pvc filled I don't need any more glass, I'm not so sure he knows what he's talking about.

Just Nancy
2007-04-02, 2:23pm
Boxer girl fixed me up with fence sections. I went with 9" lengths and kept them away from the wall. My goal is to have most of the excess stick out the back instead of be uneven in the front. I'm also thinking of a shelf to go over the top to avoid dust from what does stick out.

The Pear Door
2007-04-09, 11:42am
I can't put up pictures right now cause I'm not at home, but here is some advice for setting up fencing storage-

First cut your sections different lengths for different rod lengths. Then stack them with the longest on the bottom. This accomadates the Bullseye and other long brands. I think mine are 15", but don't quote me on that. Then make your upper layers of fencing shorter.

Second thing I did was to progressivly shorten the rows as I went up. Like stair steps. I kept cutting myself on the glass under what I was reaching for when I had the PVC set up and the glass was all at the same length.

Clear as mudd?

Hopes this helps:)

Vikki

barbaracollins
2007-04-10, 2:07am
Vikki, that is a great idea!! Now, if I just had a larger room to put all this in!

The Pear Door
2007-04-30, 7:36pm
If any of you are having trougle finding this railing you can special order it at Lowes. I went there today to get more and couldn't find it. When I asked somebody they said they had had it in stock by mistake. What you have to ask for are the rails to a post and rail fence. It is the kind of fence you see around horse ranches. All you want to order is the rail. It comes in either 8' or 16' ft sections. 16' was $2 cheaper. I take my own hack saw and cut it in half right there so it will fit in the minivan easier.

I also called Menards and Home depot and it can be ordered there too.

Just wanted to give everyone a heads up as some people seem to be having a hard time finding this stuff or are having trouble getting it home.

Islandgirl
2007-05-01, 5:26am
Is there a brand name or manufacturer... I spent 30 minutes going through fencing catalogues in Ellseworth ME on Sunday, I think the guy thought I was nuts... He kept trying to sell me things I didn't want... Of course my DH who has seen pictures of the product wasn't much better!

Lynne

The Pear Door
2007-05-01, 10:40am
I think the brand is U.S. Fence. Here are a couple of pictures to work with-68180

You don't need the posts just the rails. You would normally order the parts to this fence seperate and build the fence yourself. You only need to order the rails.

Kym
2007-05-01, 9:45pm
after much toing and froing, emailing back and forth, I have found the Australian distributor for this railing.

Western Australia
Tyron Bird
Fence-Deck Solutions
tyron@fencedeck.com.au

Waiting for prices from this company.

or

Queensland (Sunshine Coast)
Jackie
jax@polvinfencing.com.au

Polvin offers 1' cut sections @ $3 a section. Pickup.

Kym

beadsoncypress
2007-05-02, 1:59am
I have a fellow lampworker friend who visits the fencing contractors yards/stores and they GIVE her the cut-offs......can't get cheaper than that!!

Islandgirl
2007-05-02, 4:44am
If I get anywhere in Canada I'll post... I just thought I was being smart buying it while we were in the states last weekend!

Lynne

EllesBeads
2007-05-12, 4:06pm
Check your yellow pages for Fencing Suppliers and call the different companies that sell/install the PVC fences. Almost all of them will give (or let you dumpster drive) the short leftovers. I stopped by my guy on Thursday, who told me that garbage pickup is now Wednesday so the better diving days are Monday and Tuesday.

IF-Designs
2007-05-12, 4:25pm
cypress ive found the same thing....now that I actually work closer to one of the suppliers in the area i might be able to get some more! woo hoo!

Jenfire
2007-05-15, 12:15pm
Every once in awhile I come back here just to drool at Barb's glass stock.
Jen

Just Nancy
2007-05-15, 8:30pm
Karin,
I swear you must just have the right smile or something. Each fence supplier I contacted told me not only did they not have scrap, but that they didn't have this style. :(

Luckily Boxergirl and her husband have found it at Meinards in Fort Wayne. I hate to think about when I might need more.

bclogan
2007-05-31, 7:24am
I swear you must just have the right smile or something. Each fence supplier I contacted told me not only did they not have scrap, but that they didn't have this style. :(

I haven't had any luck either. And Lowe's keeps telling me they can't get it.

My husband even went down to a fence supply place in Eaton Rapids (about 30 miles south of here). All they could scrounge up was 2 itty bitty pieces.

<heavy sigh>

barbaracollins
2007-05-31, 3:33pm
And I get more glass every month! Droool on.

BlueBetween
2007-08-24, 6:49am
I had the fence posts and a larger holed shoebox thingy, but I just got this shelving/rack system from storables and I love it - it makes my glass sparkle!

You can customize them any number of ways.

Here is a picture of it in progress (I had to wait a week while they ordered the 4th rack, they were out of stock) and you can see my old glass storage on the right.

lilbrowndog
2007-08-24, 10:51pm
for all you regretting what storage you started with, i have the perfect excuse for a mid-system switch:

"i HAVE to have different storage types for my different glass!"

Rubiee
2007-08-29, 8:43pm
I'm so glad that I saw this before planning my glass storage. Wow! I'm in awe of the systems that you all have!!!

jaci
2007-08-30, 9:00am
blue between how long is your glass cut to fit in there? It looks really nice!!!
________
WOMEN'S HEALTH FORUMS (http://www.health-forums.org/women-s-health/)

Just Nancy
2007-08-30, 9:03am
If you really want to see it's beauty put some lights behind it. I usually just did some Christmas lights, but someone had regular lights in their cabinet. I love lit glass. :)

BlueBetween
2007-08-30, 1:30pm
blue between how long is your glass cut to fit in there? It looks really nice!!!

the shelves are 10X36 and most of my glass is 12 or 13 inches long. Some is longer and I don't have a solution for those rods yet, other than letting them take up the shelve under the glass racks.

Amethyst_briolette
2007-09-01, 8:39am
How does the glass not all fall to the bottom in the cage storage? Wouldn't pulling one rod out cause friction and pull on the other rods and send them crashing to the floor? What supports them in the middle between?

SadiesJewels
2007-09-02, 9:35pm
I found it really hard to get the vinyl fencing in my area - they looked as though I was mad and when I admitted what it was for that was the end of the discussion!

When I went south in LA I found the vinyl fencing 4" by 4" and I bought some for my glass storage. I like my rods cut to 18" so for a 6' length I get 4.

cherie
2007-09-06, 7:58am
Look at all that glass!!

Amethyst_briolette
2007-09-06, 8:21am
OMG, that's insane!!! WOW!

Elegance_1
2007-09-06, 8:32am
Oh my! That is what I picture heaven to be like!

I have 3 different systems at this moment. One for Moretti, Bullseye and Boro. I even bought longer shelves so I can store the Boro above the other two. Thank goodness my DH is showing an interest in making marbles and will help me with all this! *whew*

jhana
2007-09-06, 2:28pm
I found it really hard to get the vinyl fencing in my area - they looked as though I was mad and when I admitted what it was for that was the end of the discussion!

When I went south in LA I found the vinyl fencing 4" by 4" and I bought some for my glass storage. I like my rods cut to 18" so for a 6' length I get 4.
If you need more...
It would be at a Lowe's in the garden Dept. wherever there is horse country near you.
If you call them first they will look for it for you at any store, through the computer.
That would be maybe (north) Marin or out by (east)Pleasanton or south)Morgan Hill?
I don't know where you are in the bay area.

Just Nancy
2007-09-06, 6:38pm
The fence thing is so amazing. I searched and searched at Lowes and fence places. No one had it. Then Boxergirl found it at Meinards, I think she said in the outdoor building section.

jaci
2007-09-06, 11:03pm
I just showed this to my boyfriend and said "arn't you glad i don't have that much glass?"
he said "i'm pretty sure you will!!!!"

HAHAHA he seemed scared when he say it! lol

donaldduck
2007-10-19, 10:52am
I had the fence posts and a larger holed shoebox thingy, but I just got this shelving/rack system from storables and I love it - it makes my glass sparkle!

You can customize them any number of ways.

Here is a picture of it in progress (I had to wait a week while they ordered the 4th rack, they were out of stock) and you can see my old glass storage on the right.

Thank you so much for posting these pics! I love this idea, and my order from storables shipped yesterday. Cannot WAIT to reorganize the glass when it gets here. Now if I could just figure out away to salve my inner OCD and label the boxes....

Beadbug
2007-11-09, 6:02am
I just went to Mendards today, they had the fence in stock and I purchased 6 of them. I am going back today to get 4 more ok maybe 5.

This is what they are called at Menards

Discription Sku Number Unit Price
2x6x96 Notched Fence Railpvc FW196M 172-3972 7.98

I hope this the people who are still looking.

I wen't to home depot first and the same posts were 9.89

The post are easy to cut with the saw but boy are they hard to get all the shavings out of.

Beadbug
2007-11-09, 10:51am
Here is a photo of it done. I used 10, 8 foot pieces and had 4 foot left over but when we move it won't be set up like this so I will use them.
I think it looks so much cleaner, here is a photo of the old tubes. I gave them to one of my students who is just getting started.
This was along time ago when I was just starting. I had glass stuffed in all the little cracks between the pipes and it just wasn't working well.

Oh yeah, I am in a diffrent room and soon to move again in 7 months.

Mustang Dawn
2007-11-09, 11:19am
Tracy,

That looks Great! You got a nice price for them :) I had to order them from Lowes and I paid $12. If I need more I know where to get them.

See ya next week!

Dawn

Just Nancy
2007-11-09, 12:57pm
Nice job Tracy. I'm going to be needing more. I wanted to reorganize to begin with (and move it all) plus I just bought some more. :(

Since I only knew of one place that had it I hope they still do.

Beadbug
2007-11-10, 5:47pm
How many more do you need? If you are going to be at the meeting Saturday I could bring some.

Olimpia
2008-04-18, 8:56am
Another novice looking for a glass storage. I really like the vinyl fence system but you can't get it here in San Antonio either.
I called Lowe's and I am waiting to hear back from them.

I am just wondering if I am getting the right thing. Does this look like what I want? It doesn't have any other views and I'm a bit worried it might not be subdivided inside.

Thanks for any help!

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=87348-73428-61401S&lpage=none

bclogan
2008-04-18, 10:37am
Yup. That's the one I was told to special order. I haven't gotten it yet though.

Just Nancy
2008-04-18, 11:19am
That should be it. Typically it is divided for strength. I understand though I'd be happier knowing before I ordered it.

I've never found it myself in stores, but others have (even in my area). Good luck.

Barbara, next time you're at you folks you might check Meinards. I understand they have it in their outdoor lumber section. Again, I haven't seen it but I should go look for some, I'm running short and mixing stuff more than I'd like.

bclogan
2008-04-18, 4:43pm
Barbara, next time you're at you folks you might check Meinards. I understand they have it in their outdoor lumber section. Again, I haven't seen it but I should go look for some, I'm running short and mixing stuff more than I'd like.

I was just thinking I should take a quick run over the Menards around here and see if they got some in as a "seasonal" thing. Or at least order it. Their price is better than Lowe's...

Louise
2008-04-19, 3:37pm
I use the plastic parts for railings, they are actually for the upright sections. The pieces are about 1 1/4" square and 33" long, so each one can be cut into three storage tubes. They stack great and hold about a pound of rods. They come in packages of 5 and you can get them at Lowe"s or Home Depot and they don't have anything to do with fencing so more of the stores carry them.
I absolutely love them.
Hope this helps
Merianne

Olimpia
2008-04-20, 9:31am
Thank you All!
It really is hard to get these parts ordered. I ended up buying 3, 10ft sections of vinyl downspout to hold for now the growing newbie stash. I think I can run a strip of very thin plywood and divide them in two. The most I have right now is 5 rods in the same color of just about 20 colors, the rest are just one of each color from my initial batch.

I order from a wholesale account, since my business is stained glass and they have lampworking supplies. I am getting rods that are 20" -22" long. Do any of you store them and use them this length or do you cut them down?

I'll look for the railings Louise, maybe I'll get lucky!

Thank you all!

Just Nancy
2008-04-20, 10:09am
I'm sure it depends on the size and style of beads you make. I used to take my yard/meter long rods and cut them in half. I really liked that length. I usually sit down and do a twistie and a few stringers before making beads from a given color. The store I used to buy from closed and now I mail order my glass so it comes cut in 1/3s. Now I find I gt two rods out to get started.

I say give it a try and see what works for you. I would rather start with that length than 1/2 of it. Others have been here and cut mine in half just to start.

piggles
2008-04-21, 2:25pm
Yup thats the stuff my Lowes has it out in the garden area. Its da bomb!!
You can use the PVC glue and it wont budge hubby has lots around for doing our sprinkler system.

bclogan
2008-04-22, 9:33am
Well, I found the fence post stuff at Menard's last night. Broke down and bought some. Brought it home sticking out of the trunk of my car. Hubby laughed at me. Said "We DO have a truck, I could have gotten it for you". Well, yeah, but MY way was WAY more fun! There's just something about the thrill of the hunt....

Just Nancy
2008-04-22, 1:51pm
Yeah Barbara! I need to get some more. I've never personally found any. I'll have to be in the truck, the back of the little vehicle doesn't open. ;)

Tache
2008-04-22, 6:33pm
Hey Ladies!

I've been lurking for quite some time but haven't really posted much. Ok once. I just wanted to offer my help to those of you having problems finding the fence railing. Lowe's is 3 minutes from my house and they have tons of it in stock. Less, of course, once my glass storage is complete! But I digress. I would be more than happy to pick some up for you, cut it into whatever length you desire, and ship it. If anyone is interested, just shoot me a PM.

Also, in case some of you are in the suspicious side, my husband Shane has been posting in here for a bit longer than I have. He's the one who will actually be cutting it, he just doesn't know it yet.

Just Nancy
2008-04-22, 6:36pm
Lucky Shane. :badgrin: Break it to him gently. :lol:

vepaints
2008-05-01, 11:56am
Hi I have some pictures of what i came up with to access different color right on my table. A lazy susan that had little cutout circles, they were just the size of pvc that I hotglued into the holes. I can spin while I'm in the middle of a bead a get to the color pretty fast. I store only a variety of color there and the bulk in the drawers of my desk.

Elleth
2008-05-01, 12:11pm
I haven’t read all of the posts in this thread so if this has already been posted I apologize!
Corina recently posted directions for a slick, inexpensive, glass storage solution on her website.
http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/glassshelf.php
I really like the way it looks and plan to give it a try.

Just Nancy
2008-05-01, 12:17pm
Elleth, that's a different one than I've seen.

I have enough problems with dust that I don't think I'll ever try it but it sure is nice to see all that glass. Visiblility is what led me to find a supplier of the acrylic ones I have. (And I don't recommend that supplier any more in case people haven't seen my posts.)

Armstrong
2008-05-02, 7:44am
Hi-
I'm looking to update my storage as well. I have pvc tubes cut and stacked in a large aquarium. I like being able to see it all clearly, but I'm having an issue with dust and mice. I'm thinking that I may want to go to an enclosed cabinet to keep dust & mice out of there. (Not to mention that I need to take care of the mice, but that's a whole other story). Anyway, any suggestions on cabinets that would hold these fence rails?

thanks-
Ana

murf
2008-05-03, 10:24pm
I haven’t read all of the posts in this thread so if this has already been posted I apologize!
Corina recently posted directions for a slick, inexpensive, glass storage solution on her website.
http://www.corinabeads.com/pages/glassshelf.php
I really like the way it looks and plan to give it a try.

thats certainly different. i think the draw back is the assemble, the amount of wall space it would use up as well what to do with a shorter rods you wish to put away. dust and pulling rods form the hangers also worry me. tubes or fence rails is the way to go. they condenses a lot of glass in a tight package, and even if you have a short rod it's store able. just my thoughts on that set up.

CreativeSpirit
2008-05-06, 1:53pm

Down spout works great.

Peace Wendy

Mopnglo
2008-05-08, 3:01pm
My Glass storage under $40.00!

I was lucky enough to find the fence railing at Lowe's on clearance. It was $3.50 per rail. I bought an inexpensive closet shelf (I think it was $14.95 or $19.95). I turned the shelf on it's side and built the railing up on it. Added a back splash to the railing and ..........TaDa!

http://i97.photobucket.com/albums/l236/mopnglo/Auctions/Glass-Storage-1.jpg

It has 6 sections across and 13 deep, which gives me 234 cubbies. Now if I could only fill it all up.

barbaracollins
2008-05-11, 6:45am
It will not take long to fill it all up!!

jaci
2008-05-11, 7:31am
It will not take long to fill it all up!!

exactly!

Hi my name is jaci... and...and I'm a GLASS~A~HOLIC.....

murf
2008-05-11, 8:09am
wow at $3.50 a rail, I might have built a fence. that is a steal !

Mopnglo
2008-05-11, 12:20pm
wow at $3.50 a rail, I might have built a fence. that is a steal !

Yes it was. I think they were discontinuing it though. They didn't really have enough to build a fence. I just found my receipt, it was actually $3.48 per rail. :) And I bought all 10 they had.

Kalera
2008-05-11, 2:57pm
I really like the light-walled 1" PVC pipe... it holds about a pound, and it's about $1.20 for 10 feet at Home Depot. I stack it on shelves, and I can move the tubes about at will.

squid
2008-05-11, 5:36pm
I didn't find any PVC that cheap or I might have used that instead.

menty666
2008-05-11, 6:50pm
I finally found the vinyl fencing stuff at my local Grossmans. I was a bit annoyed though, because they had a bunch of busted pieces outside. I didn't need a completed fencing panel so I asked about buying some of the slats there. I didn't even ask for a discount. Noooooo, they can't just sell the slats. Still, it was 40.00 for the panel and it was 10 slats worth of material, so I bought it and just busted it up in the parking lot. I got 4 15" pieces from each slat and the pieces fit perfectly in two columns inside of a milk crate from Staples. I got all my boro into it this afternoon and still have lots of room :D

Unfortunately I have a few unmarked rods, blech.

Jane P
2008-05-12, 6:57am
I really like the light-walled 1" PVC pipe... it holds about a pound, and it's about $1.20 for 10 feet at Home Depot. I stack it on shelves, and I can move the tubes about at will.

OOOHHHH - I have "glass envy". Makes my mouth water to see so much glass together.

menty666
2008-05-12, 7:57pm
OOOHHHH - I have "glass envy". Makes my mouth water to see so much glass together.

Oh jeez, that's nothing. Kalera posted a picture over on GLDG that made everyone drool. That looks like maybe a third or quarter of her stash :)

Tache
2008-05-16, 11:41am
Oh jeez, that's nothing. Kalera posted a picture over on GLDG that made everyone drool. That looks like maybe a third or quarter of her stash :)

:shock: No way!

Well I was going to post a picture of the shelf I bought to hold my fence rails, but not now. Nope, no way I'm going to post my beautiful glass storage with three rods of glass in it. Not now. Holy geeeeeze.

Kalera
2008-05-16, 12:14pm
:lol: But you have to realize, I used to own a glass supply company, I have a good excuse!

squid
2008-05-16, 6:31pm
:lol: But you have to realize, I used to own a glass supply company, I have a good excuse!

THat's your story and you're sticking to it?

Seasoned Soul
2008-05-18, 10:35am
I'm soo happy to say that I finally found the PVC fence railing. After searching every Home Depot and Lowes I had placed this "need" on the back burner. I stopped by a local fence company to purchase wood fencing for my new place and *poof voila* there it was. They had a floor model of the fencing set up and I asked if they had it in stock or would they have to order it. He said, "We have all you want". YAY!! I made myself clear that I just wanted the railing not the posts, he gave me a funny look and said, "Ahh, okay". Soooo...in a few days I'm going back to buy and try my best to get it my car...hee*. I guess I should just have them include it with the delivery of my other fencing material. If all goes well.... maybe I can help others who can't seem to find this specific type railing a.k.a. great glass storage!! hahaha* :grin:

yeepers
2008-06-28, 8:22am
I was just at my local Lowes and they're still carrying the vinyl rail. Unfortunately it isn't discounted - I guess they plan to still carry it?

Anyhow, it's 8ft in length x 1 3/4" x 5 1/4". Interior is divided into 3 sections. $9.97 per piece.

In case you're looking for it the Lowes item number is 87348. It's in the outdoor/garden section.

Enjoy!