Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Where to buy empty bulk MAPP cylinders online?

danawana
2006-11-13, 7:04am
Sorry if this has already been addressed, I searched and couldn't find any answers. There is a place near me that fills tanks, but they do not sell them, and they suggested looking online. I haven't had any luck searching for mapp gas cylinders. I don't know where to buy my own >1# tank... I found acetylene tanks, are they one and the same, or do I specifically need a MAPP tank? Thanks in advance.

silver
2006-11-13, 7:20am
Hi, know nothing about the subject really, but just had a talk the other day at college and have been not to touch acetylene gas at all,thats from an experienced lampworker, so do seek advice. Best wishes
an aspiring student of this craft,Silver

Dale M.
2006-11-13, 9:02am
YOU probably need to find another supplier for your MAPP gas....

Generally places like PRAXAIR and AIRGAS will sell you a tank and it's "first fillup" for $XX.xx and then generally charge you for refilling tank each time you need it. Generally you will exchange your empty tank with a full one at the vendors site. There are may gas vendor sites that are just "exchange" centers and do not actually fill tanks at that location....

Smallest MAPP bulk tank is usually a 7 pound (bulk) tank.....

You may question gas supplier if he will fill a NEW, EMPTY Propane tank with MAPP if he is allowed to relabel it for MAPP GAS use only....

Bulk fuel tanks (propane) come in 4.5, 11, and 20 pound sizes ( and larger but portability becomes an issue)...

MAPP tanks do not need OPD type valve but it may not be a issue... Labeling WILL be a issue!...

You may also wish to explore other bulk fuels, like Propylene or a few others...

Dale

danawana
2006-11-13, 10:16am
Thanks both of you for answerng. I called my local Airgas, and that's who told me to look for a tank online. The only empty tanks I have found online are for acetylene. Haven't seen anyone selling empty propane tanks. I was looking and looking... I think I may have seen A praxair in my Yellow Pages. I will give them a call, but the Airgas place said they will only be able to refill it, not provide me with a tank. I can't believe it would be this hard, in a Detroit suburb, lots of industry here... I am tired of spending $7+ on the 1#, since I go through it so quickly. I don't know anything about other gases, I am totally new to this stuff. I have a Hothead torch, I know that much. I don't know what's compatible.

Dana

Dale M.
2006-11-13, 8:15pm
Hardware stores or home improvement stores or camping suppliers sell bulk propane tanks.... Even RV places.... You need to ask AIRGAS if a bulk propane tank will do....

http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com/steel.html
http://www.worthingtoncylinders.com/steelspec.html

More information on alternative fuels may be found here...

http://www.artglassanswers.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=7

Dale

Dirtybirdie
2006-11-14, 4:18am
Hi, I had just the opposite problem. I have a Mapp gas tank and I could not find anyone to refill it. I'd let you have it, but I live in South Florida!! Good luck. Donna

gayle janczarek
2006-11-14, 5:10am
I purchased a 7# tank filled with mapp gas from a welding supply store here in Pontiac area. If you are still having trouble I am about an hour from Detroit. PM me if I can help. gayle

BiaggiaBeads
2006-11-14, 8:43am
Look at Home Depot or Lowe's for a new empty tank. Be sure to label it MAPP if they don't for you.

glasswinder
2006-11-14, 11:49am
I also purchased a 7# tank and had it filled with Mapp gas. Our local welding supply store was happy to get me as a customer!! As a matter of fact, they had several new customers .... women making beads.

Palestrina
2006-11-14, 1:01pm
I went to a welding supply and they had the large MAPP tanks for lease... I didn't have to buy it. You should call around to anyone you can find in the phone book (esp. in Detroit!). The first place I went to didn't carry it either. Even if the person you speak to says they don't have it, ALWAys ask if they know who will. I'd keep looking.

danawana
2006-11-14, 11:32pm
Nice to see so many helpful people. I really am enjoying making beads, and I am just ripping through these 1# tanks! Can't wait to get my hands on a larger one. Thanks again everyone for taking the time to help me.

There is a Praxair in my area also, I will call tomorrow - I didn't have a chance today. Airgas is closer to home for refills once I get one. I will ask about using a propane tank.

And I will also look into other fulels, I shoudl read up on my hothead to see what's compatible. I know nothing of fuels, otrches, etc...

Donna in FLorida - if I get desperate, I may try to convince you to sell it to me!? Although I am sure they are heavy and it would be a royal pain to take to a shipping place.

Gayle in Michigan - I will look again through my yello pages again, maybe I will have more luck. I will look in a Pontiac directory, too, thanks!

I will also check Home Depot, Lowes - I didn't yet, thinking the 1# cans I already bought were all they had...

Thanks again!! I am just so eager to keep going and going with it.

Zuzu Petals
2006-11-19, 8:44pm
I have tons of the little tanks that they sell at Lowes etc. I can't find any info on getting rid of them and would love to just send them to you ...I would split the shipping. I teach classes at the local college in hothead and use a lot of these little tanks, so let me know. Cheers, Zuzu

danawana
2006-11-20, 6:19pm
Right now I am using the same thigs you are, the little ellow tanks they sell at Lowe's, etc. I have a lot of emoty ones accumulating, too. Now, I am looking to buy a larger tank, one that holds 7x as much gas, or even larger. I t it proving to be a much harder thing to do than I thought. But, thank you for your offer.

I did find some new empty propane tanks onlike, I have to give airgas a call and see if it will do. Seems strange they don't sell them.

beadbelle
2006-11-20, 9:30pm
HI :waving:

I am also working on a Hothead and I know what you mean about the cost of the one pound tanks. I recently called Airgas and asked if they carried MAPP gas and they said that they could order 30 pound canisters of gas for me and ship them to my house. I am also new to this whole thing and am leary of having that much gas sitting outside my house. My issue is how to safely run the hoses when I start to use bulk fuel. At this point I am just considereing upgrading to a duel fuel torch and tapping into my natural gas.
Sorry, I tend to ramble. LOL
Good Luck and I would love to hear what you decide to do, I might have to take out a second mortgage to keep up with my gas usage.

Dale M.
2006-11-21, 8:47am
I have tons of the little tanks that they sell at Lowes etc. I can't find any info on getting rid of them and would love to just send them to you ...I would split the shipping. I teach classes at the local college in hothead and use a lot of these little tanks, so let me know. Cheers, Zuzu

#1 disposable tanks are just that... Disposable. IF they are totally empty, you can just dump them in garbage and they go away... IF you are not sure on that issue call local disposal facility and see what their policy is on getting rid of them...

Dale

glasswinder
2006-11-21, 5:56pm
Before I switched to natural gas, our local welding supply store stopped carring Mapp gas and switched to Propylene. I used it for about a year with no troubles. They refilled the same tank I already had. I also had a spare propane tank that they relabeled and filled with Propylene. I absolutely LOVE the natural gas....you NEVER run out of fuel!!

LaVere
2006-11-22, 1:06pm
Thanks both of you for answerng. I called my local Airgas, and that's who told me to look for a tank online. The only empty tanks I have found online are for acetylene. Haven't seen anyone selling empty propane tanks. I was looking and looking... I think I may have seen A praxair in my Yellow Pages. I will give them a call, but the Airgas place said they will only be able to refill it, not provide me with a tank. I can't believe it would be this hard, in a Detroit suburb, lots of industry here... I am tired of spending $7+ on the 1#, since I go through it so quickly. I don't know anything about other gases, I am totally new to this stuff. I have a Hothead torch, I know that much. I don't know what's compatible.

Dana

Call Lessor Welding in Flint, MI thats where I get mine it is a large tank. They might tell you where to buy in Detroit.
810 742 2302

danawana
2006-11-23, 10:39pm
I finally got it figured out. It seems all the bigger companies couldn't help me. Airgas said I needed my own tank - period. And I could find one online, but they said it wouldn't be the kind available at home depot, etc. So I went on my wild goose chase. I did finally start to call smaller more local companies, and found smith Welding Supply, a few branches right near my house, and they have chemoleme, supposed to be the same as propylene, mapp. I am going to pick up their smallest tank maybe this weekend (30#). And they're open on Saturdays, too. $25!! that's 83 cents a pound, instead of $8 a pound. I am all over that!