Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : How do I connect my NG line to my red/green hose?

one-eared pig
2006-11-21, 6:00am
Hello!

My NG line was installed yesterday. The pipe is much bigger than the hose to connect to my torch. I understand how to connect it to the torch, but I'm not sure how to connect the line to my hose. The hole on the line is much bigger than the hose. I don't have pics (battery died on my camera), but I thought I would throw the question out there in case there is a standard answer.

Thanks in advance!

MikeAurelius
2006-11-21, 6:47am
Very easy to do.

Find out what size pipe you have. This is the most important part. Go down to the hardware store and purchase a brass "pipe thread to barbed hose" fitting. Be sure the fitting has a female thead to match the male thread on the pipe (or a male thread to match the female thread on the pipe) - all pipes have standard sizes, it is a matter of matching the pipe diameter - for example, a 3/4 pipe fitting will only fit on a 3/4 pipe.

If they don't have a barbed hose fitting for the pipe thread you need, it is permissible to use a size increaser or reducer to get to the size you need.

Typically, the barb end should be 1/4" to fit the RED hose for your torch. Simply cut off the "B" fitting on the hose.

You will additionally need some teflon pipe tape, all pipe threads must be wrapped to prevent leakage, and a hose clamp. I strongly recommend that you do not use a screw type hose clamp. These actually chew into the hose and will cut it. Use a pressure type clamp - these can usually be purchased from your local welding shop. They work by squeezing them with an end or diagonal cutter. Some of them have a screw on top which squeezes the clamp together - this is different from the type where the thread is actually part of the clamp - those type (threaded clamps) are the ones not to use.

Also, did the plumber put a fuel gas shut off at the end of this pipe? If he did not, you will also need to purchase one of those as well. Be sure it is rated for fuel gas and not just compressed air or water.

Dale M.
2006-11-21, 8:58am
Instead of cutting off end of hose go by local welding supply and get a "B" fitting....

IT has 1/4 inch "pipe thread" (plumbing industry standard) on one end and 9/16 X 18 thread on other end to fit welding hose...You will probably have to use a reducer or adapter bushing to get from shut off valve size (3/4 or 1/2 NPT) to the pipe thread size of "B" fitting. But that should be a common hardware store plumbing part...

On end where hoses connect "B" fittings for fuel gas have a left-hand thread, this is signified by groove cut in flats (hex portion) where wrench goes.... Oxy "B" fittings have no grooves and are right hand thread...

Dale

MikeAurelius
2006-11-21, 9:10am
Dang it! Thanks for reminding me about those fittings, Dale.

Thank god there's only a day and a half left this week. :roll:

one-eared pig
2006-11-21, 9:13am
Thanks, Mike! Thanks, Dale! And I requested two shut-off valves, one at the connection to the hose, and one where it connects to the pipe into the house.

LaVere
2006-11-21, 2:53pm
Here is a photo of a NG hook up. I happen to have 3/4 pipe comming to the area. And I happen to have a 3/4 ball valve so that was used. I had to use two reducers going right to left to the flash arrestor. A pipe to hose adaptor then the hose. All of this done professionally. Using pipe compound and not tape.
Have a professional do the work don't try it your self. This is not a do it yourself project.

MikeAurelius
2006-11-21, 4:44pm
Ok - one comment. The valve is NOT a fuel rated gas valve. If there were ever a gas-related fire in your house, this single valve could cause your insurance company to possibly void your insurance.

The valve shown is rated for compressed air and water, but it is NOT rated for fuel gas.

Respectfully, a professional would not have used this valve for fuel gas. And if he did, he did not know the code requirements for fuel gas shut off valves.

A homeowner CAN do the work, provided they take the proper care in doing the work. Some localities require that gas work be done professionally, some do not, but if you believe that you are not capable of doing the work TO CODE, then by all means contact a professional to do it.

Pipe compound or teflon tape are allowed by national code, either or both can be used.

LaVere
2006-11-21, 5:32pm
Ok - one comment. The valve is NOT a fuel rated gas valve. If there were ever a gas-related fire in your house, this single valve could cause your insurance company to possibly void your insurance.

The valve shown is rated for compressed air and water, but it is NOT rated for fuel gas.

Respectfully, a professional would not have used this valve for fuel gas. And if he did, he did not know the code requirements for fuel gas shut off valves.

A homeowner CAN do the work, provided they take the proper care in doing the work. Some localities require that gas work be done professionally, some do not, but if you believe that you are not capable of doing the work TO CODE, then by all means contact a professional to do it.

Pipe compound or teflon tape are allowed by national code, either or both can be used.

Your are right I don't know codes but here are the spects for the valve I have. It shows 600 psi for cold water,gas, and oil. :neutral: :???:

I'll double check with the supplier tomorrow.

http://www.redwhitevalveusa.com/pdfs/5044F.pdf

MikeAurelius
2006-11-21, 5:42pm
If you look at this page: http://www.redwhitevalveusa.com/GasBall.htm

The RW52xx series valves are the ones that are rated for fuel gases.

The key visible difference is the valve handle. Valves rated for fuel gas always have a short fat valve handle, valves rated for water, air, etc have long thin handles.

one-eared pig
2006-11-24, 11:01am
Ok, this isn't simple. I have twice been to Ace Hardware, the heating & cooling place that installed my line & the only welding place in town today. Nobody can help me. No-one undertsands what I am trying to do. The parts they give me don't fit each other, or my pipe. The welding guy is going to his house to get some parts to see if they'll work. I am so frustrated. A 4 day weekend, and no torching.

Dale M.
2006-11-24, 11:24am
Ok, this isn't simple. I have twice been to Ace Hardware, the heating & cooling place that installed my line & the only welding place in town today. Nobody can help me. No-one undertsands what I am trying to do. The parts they give me don't fit each other, or my pipe. The welding guy is going to his house to get some parts to see if they'll work. I am so frustrated. A 4 day weekend, and no torching.

Tell welding guy its the same "connector" ( "b" type) that is on base of propane/acetylene regulator (the output connector from regulator where hose attaches)... That is only "custom" piece you need, all other pieces are "common"..... Used one off old dicarded fuel regulator will do as long as it is not damaged...

"b" fitting...

IF you go with barbed fitting and cut off hose end, it should be a common item at any hardware store....

Barbed connector...

Reducer.... Used to adapt barbed or "b" fitting to incomming NG gas pipe/cutoff valve...

Worm type hose clamp...

"Single" bolt clamp ( Mike's suggetion)

Maybe you need to print out pictures and take them with you.....

Dale

one-eared pig
2006-11-24, 11:26am
Thanks, Dale. I had already printed this thread out & taken it with me. But apparently, we need pictures here in Hastings. :roll:

MikeAurelius
2006-11-24, 11:28am
Basically, what you are going to need is a size reducer from the pipe or valve end to 1/4" NPT. The welding shop, if they don't have the NPT to B fitting should be able to get one for you -- if you are having problems finding them, my place stocks them, and I can get one for you either Saturday or on Monday and overnight it to you - to have on Tuesday.

If there is a male pipe thread (for example a male 1/2" pipe), you will need a size reducer of the same material (black pipe or stainless for example) to 1/4", typically they look like a tube that's been compressed and it will have a 1/2" female thread on one side and a 1/4" female thread on the other side. Once you have the NPT to B adapter, put either teflon tape or pipe compound on the threads of the NPT to B adapter and the male pipe threads. Thread the NPT to B adapter into the size reducer, then screw the size reducer onto the male pipe thread. Use a proper sized wrench on the NPT to B adapter and tighten the adapter into the size reducer. Both will turn while you do this - that's OK. Keep on tightening until both the adapter and the size reducer stop turning. Then mount the red hose to the adapter and tighten.

If you have a female thread (for example, the open end of the valve), you will need (for example) a male ended 1/2" NPT thread size reducer to a 1/4" female NPT thread. This size reducer has a large outside diameter threaded to match the female thread on the valve and a threaded hole to match the 1/4" NPT to B adapter. Use teflon tape or pipe compound as above always on the male portions of the thread, and mount and tighten as above.

one-eared pig
2006-11-24, 11:37am
The welding shop, if they don't have the NPT to B fitting should be able to get one for you -- if you are having problems finding them, my place stocks them, and I can get one for you either Saturday or on Monday and overnight it to you - to have on Tuesday.

I think this is the problem. The welding shop doesn't have anyting tagged or labeled. It is run out of a pole barn. I repeatedly asked if it was an npt to b fitting, and he kept saying sure. But if it truly was, then it would fit the reducer I bought at Ace hardware. gggggggrrrrrrrrrr

I am going to keep your offer in mind. I am going back one more time (gotte love living in a town where everything is 5 miles or less to your house.)

Thank you so much!

Dale M.
2006-11-25, 9:36am
A source for single fuel (not welding twin hose) is here...

http://www.mcmaster.com

Search, part number 7976A34 for 12ft hose (b fitting to b fitting)...
Part number 7976A35 for 24ft hose (b fitting to b fitting)...

"B" fitting to 1/4 NPT connector (described as "bushing") 79215A2...

Dale

one-eared pig
2006-11-25, 10:14am
Thanks, Dale! I am ordering one from Mike, to arrive here on Tuesday. I did find the parts with the barbed ends at Ace, but I feel safer using the factory ends than cutting them off.

Dale M.
2006-11-25, 1:30pm
Thats COOL!....

Dale