Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Answering Jo...Painted bead

Zooziis
2005-09-09, 11:41am
Jo, wanted more information on the bead I showed in the gallery today. I figured I'd start a new thread so it doens't get lost in the gallery...

The bead is shown here.

I made the bead, which was one color, the almond from Uroboros. The bead was the head (a cone) and hair and a nose. I added the lime green sucker dots at the base for the necklace and the top of the head. Put it in the kiln, annealed and when it was cool....

You need to provide the enamel paint with a "tooth" to dig into, or it will "slide off the surface". Kate Fowle recommends using enamels for this purpose, just sift on in the flame when you make the bead. I have found that etching the bead works well too, and that's what I tend to do. It does make the finished surface semi matte, which you may not want, but if that's the case, use enamels. Steel wool is supposed to work too, and Foofaraw has had great success with that, but I have not...Try all three and decide what you like best.

Once your piece is "prepped"...

I used the watercolor enamels from Thompson, for the hair. It comes in a cake that you just use like a normal water color. To keep in mind: the glass does not absorb the color (like watercolor paper does), so you want to keep water to a minimum. Also, make sure you do not combine colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel, or you get a brown, yucky color. However, if you want two colors that are opposite, you can do that, and I'll get into that later...

I also use the acrylic paints by Thompson, to provide a bit more definition. I used the watercolors for the back ground and vase on the triptic necklace, but I used the acrylics for the dots on the vase, the flower and the leaves.

You want to let the water color dry before you add the acrylic...I use a hair dryer to speed the process, but be careful because the air from that will move your paint...for the background on that necklace, that didn't matter, but the hair could have bled to the face.

The eyelashes on the face (Jo was particularly intrested in that) were done with acrylic black and an extremely thin brush.

I used the tip of the handle of my paint brush for the dots of silver on the nose and the "Marilyn Monroe" piercing. That silver color was also also from Thompson, and it's call "Liquid Bright Palladium". It goes on brown and fires to a shiney silver, very metallic.

After it's painted, you put it in the kiln. I put it in a cold kiln, then raise the temp to 1150 over 1 hour. It takes 20 minutes for the paint to adhere, so I hold it at 1150 for 20 minutes, then over 1 hour I reduce to 950 degrees. Hold 1 hour, then reduce as normal.

Now, if you want to layer colors or use colors that are opposite each other on the color wheel but don't want mucky brown, you can put one layer on, go through the kiln process. Then add more paint when the bead is cool, and when it's done do the kiln process again.

Your bead can go back in the flame from the kiln, if you want, so you can add more glass details over the paint. I did that with the little doll shown here. I used glass paint, then fired, pulled out to the flame and added powedered enamels in the flame. Worked fine...

Lots of possibilities! Have fun, if you try it. I'm willing to answer questions if I can, but do not profess to know everything :)

dogmaw
2005-09-09, 4:40pm
Thank you so much! Could you use a heat gun (like for embossing on paper) instead of a hair dryer? It is much hotter.

ukiacat
2005-09-09, 5:24pm
Amy; This is very interesting. Your pieces are always fun and different. Thanks for explaining the steps that are involved.

I'm wondering if this post should be moved to the toutorial section. There are only two pages over there and there are eleven pages here. I would hate for this information to "get lost". I am new here so perhaps I just don't understand the difference between this "tip" and a toutorial? I know Corrie's gone but perhaps another moderator is around to decide.

Zooziis
2005-09-10, 7:46am
Good question Jennifer, I don't know. I'm fine where ever it goes :) I guess it's specific enough to be a "tutorial"...I guess I'll let the mods decide. Thank you for the kind words about my work. I do have fun, when I get out there. I'm glad it comes through.

Jo, I would think that would be fine, but wouldn't matter. At that point in the process I don't think heat matters, but I could be wrong, It might start some of the fusing process, so it will stick better...I think I have one of those around here from my stamping days (which were short lived). I'll see if I can find it and give it a try. If it turns out to be a lot more useful I'll let you know!

Shawn T
2005-09-10, 9:54am
I saw this yesterday and knew it needed to be moved. Was so in aww of Amy's beads and the process I wanted to have some "quiet time" this morning to read it again and soak in all the information.
So off to move it and rateing this Tutorial information with stars.
Thank You Amy!

ChaseDesigns
2005-09-11, 5:25am
Wow that is really cool! HUmmm, I wonder when I will find the time to try this very cool.

ajwhite
2005-09-11, 7:00am
Great work Amy!

Do you know if these paints are compatable with Moretti? I'm looking on the Thompson site and it doesn't really say except in the section of enamels used with Moretti.

I don't want to order them if I can't use them - haven't gotten Uroboros or Bullseye yet.

Thanks
Audra

Zooziis
2005-09-12, 8:23am
Audra, the dancer girl is on Moretti, and Foofaraw uses them on Moretti all the time. I'm pretty sure the paints are not really a COE concern..Probably because they are so fine...much finer then even enamels. So I think you'd be all set. I'll see if I can get a firmer answer and let you know for sure. Oh, and Kate Fowle Meleney uses them on Moretti as well..yeah, I'm nearly positive you'd be fine.

ajwhite
2005-09-12, 5:17pm
Woohoo! I'm going to order some now!

Thanks Amy!

Audra

Zooziis
2005-09-12, 7:44pm
You are welcome! Have fun!!!

LyndaJ
2007-02-03, 6:24am
Are these enamels compatible with 90 and 96 COE?

jaccarney
2007-02-03, 10:08am
i'm wondering about the acrylic paint...

how permanent is it? how much wear and tear will it take?

i would have thought that it would melted and burned completely off at that high of a temp... are there any special ways that you have to treat the acrylic and will any old acrylic paints work?...

how does it bond with the glass?

thanks so much for the tut! i'm totally intrigued and wanna give it a shot!!

:) jac

LyndaJ
2007-02-03, 5:23pm
Here's the link for the Thompson enamel acrylics. Their shop is just down from where I work. I'll have to call to see if they sell from there. I know they offer classes on enameling.

http://www.thompsonenamel.com/welcome/new.htm

jaccarney
2007-02-03, 8:03pm
ahhhh very cool!! now i get it!! it's an acrylic polymer resin kinda thing... very cool!! hmmmm.....may have to order a bit o this! hehehe