Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Camera won't take a picture.

Angela Schoonen
2006-12-18, 8:17am
I purchased a brand new Olympus Evolt just over a year ago.
This past week, when I go to take a picture, the camera turns on, it focuses, then when I press the button to take a picture, it does nothing.
I've recharged the battery, checked that the card is empty, all seems ok.
Does anyone have any suggestions?

I'm a little frustrated to say the least - I paid $1200 for the camera and it's now just out of warranty :(

Dasi
2006-12-18, 8:49pm
I do not know anything about your camera.

I had the same thing happen to my Cannon rebel xt. I had a removable lens and the contacts got a finger print on them. Do you have any contacts that might need cleaning? Is yours a SLR?

I took it to the photography store and he just cleaned the metal contacts where the lens connected to the body. He used a cloth made for it.

Not sure if this applies to you or not....???

Lizabeads
2006-12-19, 1:25am
Did you try new batteries?:waving:

dpglassworks
2006-12-19, 4:31am
My camera did that recently and there was a problem with the card....that little thingy that "locks" the card was broken and it couldn't store a picture....but, I don't know if that would even apply to your camera

Kevan
2006-12-19, 4:43am
Can you set your camera to take pictures without the card so you can test the faulty card theory? I know that with my Nikon I can take a certain number of pictures with just the memory in the camera.

squid
2006-12-19, 8:21am
I second trying new batteries. I had the same thing happen to my nikon when the batteries were low.

ewdb
2006-12-20, 10:55pm
check yr memory card, it may be corrupted.

i just had the same problem and thought my camera was broken as it kept freezing everytime i took a pic and wouldn't preview. i swapped out the card for another and now it works fine.

Tanner Studios
2006-12-20, 11:47pm
There are so many reason why a camera won't fire. The memory card is a good place to start. But remember the camera, is also a computer. check out all the menu's and sub menu's. it might be as simple as a sub menu waiting for a command. or it's just not focusing that close. See if their is a reset to factory setting or default settings.

If it is a SLR the lens may not be mounted correctly. Or the camera could just be broke. :cry:

Take it to the camera store where you bought it. And try a new memory card. Or at least get a fresh eye. Paying as much as you did, you can scream and shout if all else fails
Best of luck.
Scott

Dasi
2006-12-21, 6:31pm
I just looked at the type of camera. Try cleaning the connectors between the lens and the camera when you disconnect it. the store told me this happens all the time, and causes the camera not to take a picture or not to focus.

DenetianGlass
2006-12-23, 7:36pm
I've had this happen with my Evolt before. It didn't like the settings I had entered and had problems locking a focus, so wouldn't take the picture. I reset them back to factory, and it was happier. PM me if you can't find your manual to get these reset, I have mine handy.

Angela Schoonen
2006-12-24, 9:57am
Thank you guys for all your comments and good suggestions.
So far, we know it's not the battery, and we don't think it's the memory card.
I wrote a letter to Olympus and asked them to make an exception with the warranty. Very presumptuous, I know, but rules are made to be broken! I'm waiting to hear back from them as to whether they will repair it or not. In the meantime, I'll keep trying all your suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks again :)

Lizabeads
2006-12-24, 2:18pm
Thank you guys for all your comments and good suggestions.
So far, we know it's not the battery, and we don't think it's the memory card.
I wrote a letter to Olympus and asked them to make an exception with the warranty. Very presumptuous, I know, but rules are made to be broken! I'm waiting to hear back from them as to whether they will repair it or not. In the meantime, I'll keep trying all your suggestions. Keep 'em coming!
Thanks again :)

Yes at that price they should !! Tell them you have a baby coming anyday and wanted the camera to use for that !!\\:D/

Angela Schoonen
2007-03-20, 8:01am
Just thought I'd update this thread.

I never heard back from Olympus, so in January, I got in touch with the Senior guy of Customer Service. It took another 6 weeks to hear from this guy. Unbelievable! I finally got an email in early March, telling me that they had moved customer service offices and my letters hadn't been re-routed. He apologized, told me that my camera had been given an extra 6 month warranty when it was previously repaired, and I should send it in to see if the repairs fall under that warranty.
So, with 9 days to get the camera in before the warranty expired, I sent it off and had it returned yesterday.
The repair was done as a customer courtesy, so I'm assuming it didn't actually fall under the warranty restrictions.
I've had a few bumps in the road with Olympus, but I have to say that twice they have now exceeded my expectations and come out on top. They also upgraded the hardware this time. Bonus!