Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Protective flooring options?

Lis
2006-12-30, 12:02pm
Hi! I'm moving to a new apartment soon and it's entirely carpeted. I'd like to put some kind of a protective covering on the floor to prevent the carpet from being burned by any lampworking mishaps (I'm a beginner and I have a problem with flying, flaming glass). Does anyone have any ideas for what I might use for this?

Thank you!
-Lis

Feldt's Glass
2006-12-30, 1:18pm
If you are in an apartment you should tell the landlord what you plan on doing or you might have a big problem if they find out you play with fire. I am in an old bedroom. I decided to just take up the carpet and lay tile down. When I move the studio I plan to lay the carpet back and won't have burn marks this way. Do you have a plan for ventilation and propane placement? Please make sure you and your neighbors are safe.

Lis
2006-12-30, 1:22pm
I'm not going to be using propane. I'm afraid of it, and couldn't set it up properly because I'm in an apt complex. I have a hot head torch and I'm using MAPP gas.

bclogan
2007-01-02, 11:32am
I use a welder's blanket. It's 6-ft square.

Lis
2007-01-03, 1:53am
Hi Barbara - Do you have any thoughts on where I could pick up a welder's blanket?

Thanks!
-Lis

Lis
2007-01-09, 12:03pm
I tried finding something fire resistant at the Home Depot but they just kind of stared at me like I had two heads. Help?

bclogan
2007-01-09, 1:01pm
We got our welder's blanket at a welding supply place - the same place I get my O2 tanks refilled. But I think I may have seen one at Harbor Freight in the welding dept.

!ngridh
2007-01-09, 3:44pm
I have been working over carpet since i started. I go to walmart and buy a cheap low nap area rug. They are treated to be flame retardant. All that happens is that the spot where the red hot items lands...is that it melts the carpet around it and you have a dark black pit. I have been doing this for over 5 years and never had a problem and I have certainly had enough hit the that rug. Now I Have one of those thingees you get for office chairs that are on carpet to protect it on top of that. The kind with those vicious spikes underneath...makes it easier for my chair to roll. ANYWAY a 5x????7 foot low nap area rug from Walmart is about $20 ... and works great.

Ellen Black
2007-01-10, 12:25pm
It's safest to work in a space that is ceramic tile, or concrete. NOT CARPET ! That is pretty scarry in my opinion. Even a welders blanket is rated to 800 degrees,glass can be hotter than that. Also can go further than 6 feet.
One pound canisters should be used inside.

Aidensmommy
2007-09-17, 3:13pm
I'm a newbie and am set up in our backyard shed with wood floors ... well away from the house he he. I picked up a package of childrens soft foam interlocking play mats (if you turn them over they are usually just black underneith). I have those under and around my workstation. I know that they are not fire proof but they are supposed to be fire resistant as they are designed with children in mind (make sure the package says fire resistant). I am sure if hot glass lands on it it will melt a bit but it is about 1 inch thick so its better than nothing. You can also buy sheet metal sheets (from a local sheet metal shop) which I am sure would work as well. Watch out for those sharp edges if you go this route though (duct tape around the edges with prevent any cuts!)

topher wren
2007-09-18, 1:00am
I guess you could actully use a couple sheets of of ply wood and tile the top of the wood.
It would be like a tiled studeo floor. you could also raise it off the floor and place a wooden lip around the edge so it wont roll of on to the carpet area. ...Just a thought. ply wood is only 40.00 for a 4x8 sheet and im sure you can find just plane tile or you could get as fancy as you want to jazz up the work area.