Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Art Glass Invitational / AGI

Mr Wonka
2007-01-03, 9:47am
Hi Folks.

AGI 2007 is in the works, and it will take place from Monday, August 20th through the Saturday, August 25th. As always, this event is sponsored by Glass Alchemy, LTD. (http://www.glassalchemyarts.com)

Here’s what we have confirmed so far, and more will be added at a later date:

Robert Mickelsen- Graal Class:

Thursday, August 23rd: Our good friend Robert Mickelsen will be conducting a slide show and hands on demonstration about how to properly execute the graal technique. Topics will include: preparation of your image, exposure and wash out of the photo mask, applying powders to the surface of your glass, application of the mask, and sand blasting techniques. The class will end with a final assembly of several sand carved blanks into a finished piece.

Friday, August 24th: Robert will do a sculptural demonstration at the torch- subject matter to be announced at a later date.
http://www.mickelsenstudios.com

Bandhu Scott Dunham- The Art Spirit:

Tuesday, August 21st: Bandhu Scott Dunham, author of “Contemporary Lampworking”, “Formed of fire”, and “Creative Life”, will be conducting a lecture entitled, “The Art Spirit”. This is the title of a profoundly inspiring book by the talented painter and
teacher, Robert Henri. Working in the late 19th and early 20th century, this
wise and generous spirit taught students how to see, how to live creatively
and even how to paint, while helping to set the stage for much of modern
art. His insights and ideas apply to glass sculpture as surely as they do to
painting. Drawing from the lectures and writings of Henri (pronounced like
Hen-Rye) as well as his own experience, Bandhu will help you kick your
creative perception and practice to a new level. This lecture will be followed by a slide presentation of his own work.

Wednesday, August 22nd: Bandhu will demonstrate some of the techniques he uses in creating kinetic glass sculptures, including the use of jigs to ensure the proper alignment
of parts, problem-free joint construction, and marble tracks and switching
assemblies.

Signed copies of his books will also be available for purchase.
http://www.salusaglassworks.com

Anatomy of the Human Form:

An anatomical overview of the human form: Dr. Ed is a fellow glass worker and a pediatrician from the Pittsburgh area. He will share his medical training on muscular composition and bone structure, and how this information can be applied to sculpting human forms in glass.

Working With Galleries:

Amy Morgan, from The Morgan Contemporary Glass Gallery in Pittsburgh, will conduct a seminar on the various aspects of dealing with glass art galleries. Topics will include: what galleries are looking for in regards to content, form, presentation, and biographies / artist’s statements. A question and answer period will follow the seminar.

In addition to this presentation, guests will also receive a printed list of galleries across the United States… all of which specialize in glass art.

Plasma Sculptures:

Barry Lafler and Joe Tecnolux will be hosting a class on plasma sculptures. Topics will include sealing electrodes to a hollow sculpture, evacuating the vessel using a vacuum pump, and filling it with argon, neon, and xenon. It will be more in depth than last year’s demonstration, and we will relocate the manifold system for better viewing.

Lewis and / or Jennifer Wilson:

Lewis and / or his daughter Jennifer Wilson will be in attendance… subject matter to be announced at a later date.

Glass adhesives:

A representative from Loctite Corp. will give a lecture and demonstration about various adhesives designed for glass, including 2 part epoxies and UV glues. Scott, the representative, is as passionate about adhesives as we are about glass, and will explain more than you need to know about these products… some of which were developed specifically for Disneyland’s glass shop.

Wonka- New Products / Ideas:

Monday, August 20th: I have been working on some new products that have been selling very well for us (and quite profitable), and will be sharing my ideas and techniques with everyone who attends AGI. This will be a torch demo and lecture.

Show and Tell:

Throughout past events, our guests always show off their work and explain how particular techniques are executed. This has always happened on a random basis, and this year we will dedicate a specific time to show your work and talk with other artists.

Silicon- Free sample pack:

Each guest will receive a free sample pack of pure silicon. This material is boro compatible, and looks like chunks of chrome when encased.

Open Torch Demos:

After the scheduled demonstrations are done for the night, guests are free to use the main bench if they would like to make something for whoever would like to watch. If you plan on attending and would like to do an “impromptu” demonstration, please send me an e-mail of what you want to do, and I will put you on the list. After hours demos will be posted on the dry erase board all day behind the main bench.

Bill Rasmussen Lounge:

The new lounge, which we dedicated to Bill Rasmussen (The Grandfather of the American Lampworking Movement), will have a wide variety of Videos and DVD’s available to watch on a 60” wide screen TV. It’s a cool and comfortable place to chill out when you’re not working (it’s also air conditioned!).

Poker Night:

Each year, Joe Tecnolux hosts a poker tournament (Texas hold-em), and this year it will take place on Friday night, August 25th. The buy in is a piece of hand made glass art, or materials. Knives over 4” long, or pistols over .38 caliber will not be allowed at the poker tables this year (just kidding… that’s an inside joke!)

Saturday Night Party:

As always, we will have a bash at the end of the show with lots of free food, beer, and live music. If you play an instrument, feel free to bring it along and jam with Eddie Pickett of the WharfRatz.

If you are interested in attending AGI, please drop us an e-mail at info@glass123.com. The cost is still $500.00 for the entire week, and tickets will be sold on a first come, first served basis. This event is open to all skill levels and areas of expertise, so even if you are new at glass working you are welcome to attend… this is NOT a juried show.

*Note: We expect AGI to fill up very quickly this year. Last year there were 100 tickets available, and this year we are reducing that number to 65. There are over 15 people who have committed to purchasing tickets, so there will be less than 50 available in January.

Have a great night, and we look forward to seeing you in August!

Sincerely,
Tom and Elaine Doner
(724) 791-2100

Cosmo
2007-01-03, 1:23pm
I'm going this year. No way I'm missing it...

Mr. Smiley
2007-01-04, 2:34am
I'm in... Get your money in fast folks... this is the best bang for your buck... limited to 65 people this year. That's a fast sell out!!! Don't wait! This event is about the love for glass we all share and the Wonkas cram a LOT of priceless information into the week. :D

Tom, it was good chatting with you my friend. I'll be heading up a day or two early if you need help. Tell Elaine I send my love. :love: If you guys need anything, just let me know.

lavendar420
2007-01-15, 5:56pm
where is this taking place?

Mr Wonka
2007-01-17, 4:40pm
AGI is always in the same place… in western Pennsylvania, about an hour north of Pittsburgh.

Starrr
2007-01-18, 2:38am
I wish all of this fun stuff didn't happen in the middle of my show season, I would drive there in a heartbeat!

Edie

Mr Wonka
2007-01-29, 8:20pm
Hi everyone. Here is the latest update for this year's AGI:

The Robert Mickelsen Bar and Grill: I would like to announce that this year we will be dedicating the bar area to RAM, and it will be called “The Robert Mickelsen Bar and Grill”. After the dedication, Robert will be serving the first round of food and drinks to our guests.

We will also have custom promotional items printed up, and each guest will receive one as a memento of the occasion. This is awesome… Robert is such a cool guy, and I’m happy to be able to dedicate a cool place to him : )

Roger Parramore: Roger, a.k.a. “The Human Lathe” will be joining us this year. He would like to work with others and see some new techniques, as well as demonstrating some of his “old school” techniques for us… and probably jamming on the banjo with the band on Saturday night : ) You can see some of his work at http://www.rogerparramore.com/

Matt Eskuche: Matt is a truly gifted glass artist, as well as a good friend of mine. Although we haven’t nailed down the content of his demonstration, he promises to “rock the house” when he gets behind the torch. Please visit his web site at:
http://www.blownglass.ws

Stay tuned for more updates… We still have more things in the works, and I’ll be sure to keep you posted as new things are confirmed.

Mr Wonka
2007-02-01, 3:57pm
If you wish to attend both the regular AGI, and the Marble AGI, we will offer you a $60.00 discount, bringing the cost to $790.00.

That is 10 solid days of classes, torch time, networking with your peers, meeting lots of new people, advancing your career, and having a blast… all for less than $800.00! Also, our facility was custom built for glass workers, making the environment that much more special.

Here’s a list (in alphabetical order) of some of the demonstrators for both shows, with more to be added at a later date:

Bandhu Scott Dunham
Dr. Ed
Matt Eskuche
Henry Grimmett
John Kobuki
Barry Lafler
Robert Mickelsen
Amy Morgan
Kevin O’Grady
Rorer Parramore
Steve Selchow
Kenan Tiemeyer
Jennifer Wilson

Please contact us by e-mail at info@glass123.com, or by phone at (724) 791-2100 for questions or to make reservations.

Tom Doner

PaulaD
2007-03-12, 1:04pm
As a soft glass gal that just took a class with Henry G I can't imagine this being anything except spectacular.

Paula

Ro
2007-03-26, 8:40am
i went last year, cant this one, class budget already spent, but i intend to go next year. dont miss it if you can go! life changing experience.
ro

Julz
2007-03-26, 11:18am
Oh, I'm finally going to get to meet Smiley, and Cosmo. Schweet!

Cosmo
2007-03-27, 7:14am
Oh, I'm finally going to get to meet Smiley, and Cosmo. Schweet!

Maybe. That all depends on whether or not the IRS gets my refund money to me before AGI fills up...

Julz
2007-03-27, 7:36am
yeah, I saw your post on the other board. blood sucking tax guys... take their darn time, don't they? I hope I see you there. It'll be a blast!

jwelsh
2007-03-29, 1:32pm
went last year.. not going this year but have fun and bring back pics!

Mr. Smiley
2007-03-29, 1:46pm
Damn Jeff, come on... get Tom in the car and come on up. :D

Ro
2007-07-31, 6:57am
change of plans, Im in!!!!!!!!! cant wait to see everyone, it will be another great one im sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ro