Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Studio Update

Livonia Glass Studio
2007-01-03, 3:14pm
Much progress has been made in the studio. There are still some minor things left, like trim moulding, paint touch up, adjusting all the cabinet doors, etc.

Here is a view of the torch space (the metal table is a temporary workspace set up while my step-daughter is visiting.)

Here is a view of the kitchen nook. There's a grinder on the counter where I was smoothing the ends of new mandrels the other day.

Here is a view from the front door, looking to the right a bit. You can see my little bathroom.

Here's a look at the vanity. I just love the lights we found at Home Depot.

Meet Dixie, the 93 pound studio watchdog. She's guarding my empty tank... or is she napping? Slacker!

Finally, this is my outside view from my torch space. You can barely see the lake in between the groups of trees. It's much prettier in the summer.

It's been a long and slow process to get this far, but worth it! I absolutely love it out there. Right after these pictures were taken, my little boom box started eating tapes and refusing to play CDs. So I stole my stereo system out of my sewing room in the house (I hardly ever go in there!). Wow, what a difference! I should have moved it out there a long time ago.

Megan
2007-01-03, 7:29pm
Great space.. it looks so big.. I am so jealous.. :-)

Livonia Glass Studio
2007-01-03, 8:08pm
Thanks Megan. The space is 20'x20' including the bathroom & closet.

swanseafarm
2007-01-03, 8:20pm
Love it....and the view is awesome!
:)

Jenfire
2007-01-03, 11:23pm
Oh YES!

Beadlady57
2007-01-04, 11:14am
Shelley - Your studio is awesome! I'm jealous! Where did you get your vent hood? Nancy

Livonia Glass Studio
2007-01-04, 9:37pm
Shelley - Your studio is awesome! I'm jealous! Where did you get your vent hood? Nancy

Thanks Nancy -- My husband made my vent hood for me. There is a rigid metal pipe inside, the rest is made from wood framing and wainscoting. He put a light strip inside the front. Not bad for home-made.

I was a little concerned at first that it was made from wood. But he held his hand up there with the torch on and assured me that it would never get hot enough to be a problem.

LAG
2007-01-05, 2:08pm
How spoiled are you???? I am soo jealous!!! Laughed at the stereo thing.. Can't torch without tunes.. We are even going to put up a satelite dish in my shop in case I find myself wanting to torch through CSI, Without a Trace and House (my hero, rude but honest).. Very lovely studio... You are so fortunate...

Leanne
2007-01-06, 1:19am
wow Im jealous. It is always a smart idea to put a full bathroom including shower when you build a studio as large as that so that if you ever move it becomes like a little granny flat or teenagers retreat increasing the value of your home ....

Sheltie19
2007-01-06, 6:42am
Yeah.. I thought I was the most spoiled wife... but think you got me beat.. I really like your studio.. It is just great.... but still love mine that hubby made for me... my xmas present this year... We just used what was available to us in our garage... and then added a few things... I wanted so badly to go out there yesterday.... after my trip home from the Mayo Clinic.. but I was sicker than a dog and never once got out of bed.... maybe today I can go out there
Once again.. very very nice.. and I am so happy for you
Sheltie

LAG
2007-01-06, 7:00am
So sorry to hear about you being ill, Sheltie. Am assuming cancer of some sort since it is the Mayo Clinic? At least lampworking is something you can look forward to....

All my blessings...

Sheltie19
2007-01-06, 7:44am
So sorry to hear about you being ill, Sheltie. Am assuming cancer of some sort since it is the Mayo Clinic? At least lampworking is something you can look forward to....

All my blessings... Well I am on the liver transplant list.. went up for a check up... they now think I have rhumatoid arthritis... and going to be doing a bone marrow biopsy to see I may have luekemia.... Had a flu shot while I was up there.. and darned if I didn't react to that.. Made me really sick... for me to say I am sick.. I am really sick... I never feel good.... anyway.. but I do feel better this morning.... Thanks for your concern.... I will keep you posted on how things go... Go back up again wednesday for more tests.

Livonia Glass Studio
2007-01-06, 11:44am
Thanks Kay, Firefly, and Sheltie. I admit I'm spoiled. :) My hubby (8 years now) has changed my life.

Sheltie, sorry to hear of your troubles. Where do you live in Iowa? I am originally from Cedar Rapids.

Sheltie19
2007-01-06, 1:34pm
Thanks Kay, Firefly, and Sheltie. I admit I'm spoiled. :) My hubby (8 years now) has changed my life.

Sheltie, sorry to hear of your troubles. Where do you live in Iowa? I am originally from Cedar Rapids. I live about 1 hour and 1/2 south of Cedar Rapids... Was just thru there on our trip to Rochester... we take 218 to Waterloo,, and hit 63 north straight up to Rochester.... I am so happy you have a great hubby like mine.... We are 2 very very lucky girls.... I have been with my hubby 30 years now... and married 25.. he was my high school sweetie.... he helps me alot.. and has stuck thru all my health issues... that says a lot.
Sheltie

Livonia Glass Studio
2007-01-06, 8:35pm
Sheltie,

We used to go to Ottumwa all the time (grandparents lived there). That was about 2 hrs south of C.R. It's been a long time since I've been down that way. My grandma lived to be about 100 years old (only 1 month shy). Sturdy Iowa stock, they say. :)

Sheltie19
2007-01-07, 12:19pm
Sheltie,

We used to go to Ottumwa all the time (grandparents lived there). That was about 2 hrs south of C.R. It's been a long time since I've been down that way. My grandma lived to be about 100 years old (only 1 month shy). Sturdy Iowa stock, they say. :)
Well we live about 35 minutes north east of Ottumwa... We go there alot to shop.. and that is where we bought our Harley... Have some good friends there too.... Yeah... they make Iowans hardy that is for sure... I have to admit..even with the cold of winter... I love Iowa... If you ever come down this way again... Let me know.. door is always open
Sheltie

Livonia Glass Studio
2007-01-08, 8:21am
Well we live about 35 minutes north east of Ottumwa... We go there alot to shop.. and that is where we bought our Harley... Have some good friends there too.... Yeah... they make Iowans hardy that is for sure... I have to admit..even with the cold of winter... I love Iowa... If you ever come down this way again... Let me know.. door is always open
Sheltie

Thanks for the invite... but we never go that way anymore. All the relatives are gone now, either moved or passed away. I'll always have a soft spot for that area though. :)

Livonia Glass Studio
2007-01-08, 8:25am
My dad lived in Sigourney when he was young, before they moved to Ottumwa. You're probably near there. I love the rolling hills on that country drive from CR to Ottumwa. Most folks think Iowa is just flat... well, it IS on the highways. But the countryside is beautiful.

Norskiglass
2007-01-14, 5:19pm
ALLRIGHT!!! you have the best one yet!! Congrats!

~Enjoy~

Sheltie19
2007-01-17, 9:39am
My dad lived in Sigourney when he was young, before they moved to Ottumwa. You're probably near there. I love the rolling hills on that country drive from CR to Ottumwa. Most folks think Iowa is just flat... well, it IS on the highways. But the countryside is beautiful. Well sigourney is not far at all.. My best friend lives there,, and we go there alot to see them... small world.. and yes.. there are some great country driving around here.. Love to do that in that in the summer on our bikes.. some great views... Sheltie