Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Deep Encasing Unobtanium..

e. mort
2007-01-05, 12:53pm
Has anybody had any issues with deep ecasing unobtainium? I made a 1.75 inch vortex marble about 6 weeks ago, and I just noticed that I am getting spiderweb fractures along some of the stripes of unobtanium that I put in the vortex section. :pout:

pipyr
2007-01-05, 1:58pm
I have heard of many people having problems with deep encasing unobtanium. Most of my stuff is surface work, so I don't have much experience. You aren't alone, though! I think Chad has had luck with unobtanium...maybe he can pipe in :)

Cosmo
2007-01-05, 2:12pm
I've never had a problem. I did three or four 2" vortexes with Unobtainium as the color in the vortex (one may have been Super Unobtainium). Came out fine.

You do want to keep the whole thing as hot as you can while you are working on it, and then don't let it sit in the kiln too long before you start ramping it down. It doesn't like to change temperatures a lot. So once you apply it, keep it hot.

Of course, with that Delta you shouldn't have a problem doing that...

:D

ShepherdCreations
2007-01-05, 6:30pm
I've had checking issues with unobtainium when it's thick and encased to any degree. Thin applications encased I haven't had trouble with, just little bubbles... Good luck!

e. mort
2007-01-05, 9:40pm
Thanks for the feedback on this. Hopefully I can find away to keep it from happening again

Mr. Smiley
2007-01-06, 5:14am
Make sure your flame is oxydized and like Chad said, don't kiln it too long. Garaging for long periods of time can affect some colors... especially in the blue/green family. ;)

Mr. Smiley
2007-01-07, 4:32pm
I had a nice marble pop today... :( Yep, had obtanium in the core. All the others survived fine and one was bigger. Guess I should have taken all the advise in this thread. :lol:

chayes
2007-01-08, 10:21pm
I mix the sparkle colors down with clear it helps disperse the sparkle and makes it more stable. Not to mention more color for less money.

suzanne
2007-01-09, 2:36am
chris I just checked out your gallery, man you make awesome stuff!!!