Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Question about lenses for Digital Rebel

Heart Fire
2007-01-11, 9:44pm
Hi Guys, I take all my pictures with a digital rebel and have a good macro lens for it--my question is this: When I shoot a large set of beads or a long necklace I have to back up the camera in order to capture the entire set, then I end up with a picture that has the nearest beads in focus but not the beads that are further away. I assume that I need to change lenses but don't enough to know what type of lens I need.

Does anyone have some expertise in this area?

Thank you, Lois

bolimasa
2007-01-12, 8:58am
Hi Guys, I take all my pictures with a digital rebel and have a good macro lens for it--my question is this: When I shoot a large set of beads or a long necklace I have to back up the camera in order to capture the entire set, then I end up with a picture that has the nearest beads in focus but not the beads that are further away. I assume that I need to change lenses but don't enough to know what type of lens I need.

Does anyone have some expertise in this area?

Thank you, Lois

No real expertise here, but I'll throw out an idea....
How about a fisheye lens?
I bought one for my son for his a canon A610. He wantes it for skateboarding pictures, but I swear that while I was researching it I found some pages that mentioned using it for close up shots.

One of these days when I have time I plan to try his out. It's a fisheye and also came with a macro attachment, perhaps you can get a fisheye that screws on to the front of your macro?

Heart Fire
2007-01-12, 9:05am
Thank you, I will look into that! Lois

SuzyQ
2007-01-15, 3:49pm
Two things you can do. One is put your aperature on the largest number you can with the lens you have and see what you get. You will probably need a tripod because your shutter speed will slow down.
The other is to get a wide angle lens. Look for Canon EOS lenses. That is the type that fits your camera.

Now perhaps a fisheye is different these days but back when I did photography a fisheye would distort.

Heart Fire
2007-01-16, 12:47am
Thank you for the help, I am going to try a wide angle lens first, see it that works. TY, Lois

Cosmo
2007-01-16, 8:26am
Use just a plain old lens. No macro. Macro lenses have shallow depth of field, which is what causes the results you are getting.

On my Digital Rebel, I use the stock 18-55 lens for everything. I don't use macro for anything.

InspirationToolworks
2007-01-16, 8:38am
Actually, depth of field is not that related to lens focal length.

See this calculator:

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

The only things you really can do, is to up the F stop number ( think 16 or 22 ) and keep the jewelry more perpendicular to the lens. Use a tripod.

Unless you want to get into tilting lenses :)

-Jeff

SuzyQ
2007-01-16, 10:24am
Cosmo, macros are great lenses for beads and jewelry. It is in how you use it and your lens. Mine has enough depth of field for what I do.
Your 18 to 55 is a great lens for the job too. There is more than one way to skin a cat.

bolimasa
2007-01-18, 9:38am
Two things you can do. One is put your aperature on the largest number you can with the lens you have and see what you get. You will probably need a tripod because your shutter speed will slow down.
The other is to get a wide angle lens. Look for Canon EOS lenses. That is the type that fits your camera.

Now perhaps a fisheye is different these days but back when I did photography a fisheye would distort.

Hey Suzy, I went looking for that page I found on macro/fisheye but of course I couldn't find it. (why don't I bookmark mark stuff?) If may have been about photographing bugs or flowers or something that makes use of the distortion. I may still play with my sons one of these days to see what it does with beads.

The wide angle lens I have for my slr film camera has a macro mode. Maybe they all do. A lens like that may be a good choice.

This discussion is really making lust for a digital slr!

Heart Fire
2007-01-23, 1:14pm
Thanks for all the infor everyone, I am trying out some of the options including using the regular lens---it's a really good camera, I just need to learn how to use it. LOL
TY, Lois