Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : A customer breaks your boro, WWYD?

Venbead
2007-01-24, 2:47pm
a customer breaks one of the pendants she has bought from you (ie drops it on the bathroom floor) she brings it back and says "I need you to fix this for me" what would you do?

if it's fixable because it was only the bail then I would pop it in the kiln and put a new bail on for free

if it's fixable because it was only the bail that broke off I would fix it but charge her a repair fee

if it was beyond repair in that it broke into several pieces or in half I would make her a new pendant for free

if it was beyond repair in that it broke into several pieces I would offer to make a new one but I would charge her for a new one.

other

Bunyip
2007-01-24, 3:01pm
I voted fix it for free, based on your scenario.

Beyond that it depends on your long term policy. Remembering that customer service is probably the Number ONE factor in the success or failure of any business, this is an important decision.

I know some artists offer no questions asked repair/replacement on anything they sell. Some offer lifetime repair/replacement. Others limit it. Personally I know there are some lousy people out there, but I'd still probably offer a no-questions-asked 1 year replacement or something similar. I haven't been selling my stuff for years now as I took a long break, and am now playing with boro, but I plan to get back to selling soon - once I feel that my work is back up to par... so this topic is of interest to me as well!

Cosmo
2007-01-24, 3:19pm
A lot of it depends on the person, as well. If they come to me and say "I accidentally dropped this. Can you fix it?" more than likely I'll fix it. If they say get all mad and say "You made this, you have to fix it!" then things may be different. I do, however, give out a card with every piece of glass that I sell telling the buyer that yes, it is glass, and yes, it can break just like any other glass. If they are nice about it, chances are I'll just fix it for them or give them another one. If they are jerks, then there is usually a fee involved.

But, I do stand behind everything I make as far as craftsmanship goes, and the customers know that. Dropping it and breaking it, however, has nothing to do with craftsmanship.

Just Nancy
2007-01-24, 3:32pm
I don't understand the option of fix it but charge for a new one. Isn't that just agreeing to sell her another one?

I do think the promotion of annealed glass will stand up to anything (some people supposedly bounce them off the ground) is a mistake. They might survive, but as Chad said. It is glass. If enough force is introduced it can still break having nothing to do with craftsmanship.

I think a lot depends on how you promote the items. If the customer thinks you have produced something unbreakable that will live for generations, then it should be replaced. If you market them as works of art made from glass, which could break if mishandled, then possibly a fee.

HardwoodTrailGlass
2007-01-24, 3:48pm
I will always stand behind my work, and if I created something that isn't 'right', then I'll replace it, or fix it, no questions asked.

If the breakage, or whatever, is the customer's 'fault', then I'd still take care of it 99% of the time. But I do agree w/ Chad...HOW they ask me, makes all the difference in the world.

So, no charge. ;)

dogmaw
2007-01-24, 4:20pm
I voted other. I probably wouldn't fix it, just because she dropped it. It is glass after all. If she asked nice, and it was something simple like a new loop, I might do it. But certainly not if it was in lots of pieces.

ShepherdCreations
2007-01-24, 4:24pm
I agree with Carrie and Chad, I'll usually replace it or fix it for free. Now when I get into goblet-making it might be a different story with those... But while I'm still mostly pendants and small sculpture, I stand by my work. Customers are so important to artists and cottage industries that keeping them happy is worth some extra time and glass.

dpglassworks
2007-01-24, 4:27pm
I voted that I would fix it for free.... because that is what I WOULD do, but that is not what I would WANT TO DO....

e. mort
2007-01-24, 4:30pm
I will usually just repair it, and if I can't, then I may replace it. It depends a lot on the customer. I have had to repair/replace three pieces: 2 that were dropped on to the loop (customer error), and one that looked like it was a compatibility crack or possibly thermal shock (my error) which I naturally replaced.

What is important is that those satisfied customers then either bought more of my pieces or brought others to my booth that did.

Venbead
2007-01-24, 5:27pm
I am inclined to want to make it right without charging customers and after I did a party last night and the hostess handed me a leaf pendant she had bought from me previously and it was in 2 pieces I started wondering how others handle this. she admits she dropped it on her tile floor but there was still an assumption that I will just fix it. because she hosted a party (even though it was not a very profitable party) I will sit down to the torch and try to recreate it for free but I'm thinking I should have a policy about this on my site. I'm glad to hear most people are concerned about customer service but sometimes I feel a little abused and I just wondered if I'm too easy. I think Chad's right it's how I am asked. when there's entitlement to the tone like somehow it's my fault they dropped a glass pendant on a hard surface and it broke, then i feel irritated by the request. But I usually still smile and tell them I will make it right. *sigh*
I also wonder for those of you who have lifetime guarantees on your glass for breakage even if it's the customer's fault, do you offer to replace the item from your stock or do you go back and try to recreate something? because with boro that can mean a giant PIA in getting the colors right again! It's something I'm dreading with this broken boro dichro leaf pendant that's sitting here mocking me tonight.

Tink
2007-01-24, 5:48pm
I have had this happen three or four times over five years. In all but one case, the customer had dropped the piece on a hard floor. I don't work in boro, but my answer would be the same regardless of what kind of glass I had used.

The first thing I do is refund their purchase price. Yep. No questions asked. And no, I don't require that they send the broken item back to me. I never, never, EVER offer to try to duplicate the piece. I dislike that kind of pressure, and I won't subject myself to it. With refund in hand, it's my hope that they will find another available piece at some point in time that they wish to buy from me.

For me, it's all about goodwill. I would rather a customer look at a piece that I made and have good feelings about how I dealt with the situation rather than look at it and get their stomach in knots because I was a pill about it. I guess you can either look at it from a matter-of-principle standpoint, or you can look at it from a good business standpoint. At the end of the day, I find this kind of gesture goes a long way towards satisfied customers, mucho repeat business, and a stress-free me.

PaulaD
2007-01-24, 7:34pm
I think that if I dropped a glass piece on the floor and broke it I wouldn't have the nerve to ask the artist to replace it without offering to pay for another!! If I were in your position I'd probably offer the person a discount on another one but not put the time into creating a new one or trying to duplicate it. People do have some responsiblilty for their actions in life and you can't be responsible for every person and what they do to your work after you sell it to them. (I am assuming that they knew they bought glass and that glass is breakable!) You can do this nicely and respectfully and your customer will still think that you did them a favor...Paula

Tink
2007-01-24, 7:48pm
Yeah, I suppose it could get out of hand if I let it. But people don't contact me expecting me to refund their money. They are hoping for a repair job, and they're probably willing to pay for it, though I don't do repairs so it never gets to that point.

It's worth the price of the piece just for my peace of mind. Over all the years I've been flameworking, this policy has cost me about $250. Total. I am MORE than fine with that. Small price to pay for doing what gives me the most peace of mind, I think.

I should mention that if anyone ever got snotty with me over something like this (whether the breakage is their fault or not), or if I felt convinced that someone was taking advantage of the situation and me, I'd probably refund them and then blacklist them. Bwahahahahaaaaaaaaaaaa! If I wanted to be treated like crap, I'd still work at IBM, you dig?

It's about quality of life: Treating people well and expecting the same in return. It's about feeling, at the end of the day, like I've done my best and I've done The Right Thing for ME. If I lose a couple of bucks in the process, no biggie. What I gain is, I suspect, far more valuable than a $50 vessel.

Darlene Balkcum
2007-01-24, 7:58pm
"It's about quality of life: Treating people well and expecting the same in return. It's about feeling, at the end of the day, like I've done my best and I've done The Right Thing for ME. If I lose a couple of bucks in the process, no biggie. What I gain is, I suspect, far more valuable than a $50 vessel."

PaulaD
2007-01-24, 8:44pm
Exactly! At the end of the day she will have to do what feels right for her...
Paula

Over the Moon
2007-01-24, 10:23pm
I gotta say I mostly agree with PaulaD: I'd offer a "similar" replacement - but at a discounted price, to keep the good faith with my customer...after all, we'd both know it was their fault, but I'd try and make it "right", without putting any pressure on myself!
:love:

firefreak
2007-01-24, 10:58pm
I have repaired or replaced pendants and solids.Or refunded purchase price if that is what the purchaser wanted.
But my witch balls by their very nature are a fragile piece. so are most of my Christmas ornaments. I do tell people who purchase -- they will break if you drop them. I don't replace or repair my thin hollow pieces.The delicate strands inside go to crap if dropped.
I have learned to package them well with bubble wrap and a individual box for each one.
I do offer a good discount on replacements. I also offer free replacement if there is a craftsmanship issue like a loop breaking off. (only happened once)

So far everyone I have dealt with has been happy.

Mr. Smiley
2007-01-25, 3:04am
I've had 2 problems in all the time I've been selling. Both times it was dropped in a sink. The loop popped off on one and I fixed it for free. The tip of a heart broke on the other and I fixed it for free. For me, it's a 5 minute job and it makes them very happy. I like making people happy. If anybody was snotty about it, I'd just fix it all janky or put an ugly loop color on it. :lol: Just kidding. I like to make cranky people happy too. ;)

HardwoodTrailGlass
2007-01-25, 3:31am
I really like what Tink and Smiley has said. Just positive about it all the way...no matter what. Reminding me that some things are just not worth getting upset about. My peace of mind is worth more than the time it might take to replace/repair. I forgot, until Tink mentioned it, that I would always offer a refund 1st.

On another note, if someone tried to take advantage of me, then it's really "on them" and they'll feel 'whatever' about themselves for doing it. ;)
What goes around, comes around...

Simply Us
2007-01-25, 4:12am
I just replaced a pendent that the customer dropped on a cement floor. She did not expect a replacement and wanted to pay but she has bought alot over the last year, in fact she bought a heart while I was showing her choices for replacement. To me it was good will and I know she'll buy more! So we both win in this case.
Sandra

jwelsh
2007-01-25, 7:37am
we will fix 1st time for free but if they break same piece again we charge $5.00.

Cosmo
2007-01-25, 7:50am
I guess the difference in opinion here is the customers we deal with.

A lot of my customers are pipe customers. And, while I'm not saying that in a bad way, a lot of them will take advantage of you if you let them. If the word gets out that "hey, this guy will replace anything you break" I would be willing to bet I'd have so many people wanting me to replace things that I wouldn't have time for anything else. Not that I make weak stuff, or anything, but the people that use them are notoriously hard and/or careless with the items they buy from me. In fact, I had a guy who dropped a $250 multi-chamber piece out the window of his car because they were driving down the road next to some friends, and tried to pass it from car to car. They actually stopped and picked up most all of the more than 30 pieces. He then asked me if I could repair it. He told me that one day he just picked it up and it broke, but a friend of his that is another customer of mine told me the real story.

I've never had anyone ask me to repair/replace a marble. I've had one pendant that needed to be repaired, and I knew the girl pretty well so I did it no questions asked. But some of the people that buy other things from me aren't exactly the most trustworthy people.

The people that Tink sells to are probably a lot more honest and up-front about things.

pipyr
2007-01-25, 12:30pm
If I can fix it, I won't charge anything. For the few minutes it takes, it's just not worth it to charge ;) If I can't fix it (most of my work is hollow and doesn't have room for a blowpipe to be re-attached, so if it was dropped on the floor and broke in half, there isn't much I can do unless I get lucky in the flame ;) ) I will offer a discount for another piece. I can't duplicate a piece, so I just hope the customer finds another piece they like. Obviously if it was my fault, I would either replace with another one or refund, customer's choice :) Thankfully, that hasn't happened to me yet *knock on wood!!* This has been an interesting thread!

PaulaD
2007-01-25, 3:08pm
This has been an intersting thread!!
I think it all comes down to individual choice based on your time, your customer and your relationship with them, and your skill at fixing things. And if they are asking or demanding that you replace it.I know that I personally don't react well to people demanding things of me.I prefer not to deal with that type of person at all and since beadmaking is a fun hobby for me and not my job I have that option...I haven't worked much boro so don't know much about how to fix anything but I did give a gorgeous boro pendent (that I purchased from some one) to a secretary at work and she dropped it and broke it. All I could think of was that she was a dumb ass and didn't appreciate what she had. Well I was thinking the dumb ass part before she dropped it...
Paula

Mr. Smiley
2007-01-26, 4:10am
If I prove to you that I'm a dumbass will you give me nice things? :D

PaulaD
2007-01-26, 9:26pm
:grin: Maybe.

PaulaD
2007-01-30, 8:54pm
So Paula What did you finally do??

The other Paula

Venbead
2007-01-30, 8:59pm
I made a new leaf pendant that was similar to the broken one and I didn't charge her.

PaulaD
2007-01-30, 9:13pm
Yeah!!!

Paula

bjcohan
2007-01-30, 10:32pm
I had a customer who had bought a necklace from me and then dropped it on concrete. The focal bead was a beautiful fused dichroic bead that I had purchased. It was a rather long bead before it broke.

When she brought it to me, in tears, she just asked if there was anything I could to to make it wearable again. She didn't have the piece that had broken off the bottom. I told her I would try.

The damned thing took forever, only because I don't do coldworking and don't have the equipment. I ground down the broken end, then polished it. I used, of all things, emery boards. Yup, the kind you use for fingernails. But it worked. At the end, I put some polishing compound on a buffing wheel on my Dremel and shined the polished end. It looked great, even though it was then only half of the pendant, and the customer was thrilled. I didn't charge her. Instead, I added a couple of dollars onto the next half dozen pieces she bought and considered us even!

Everybody was happy.

I now put this language in the info folder that accompanies every piece of jewelry I make. "Although all artist-made glass beads have been kiln annealed for strength and durability, glass - and gemstones - can break if dropped on a hard surface or otherwise abused, and injury can result. With proper care, however, your jewelry will give you many years of enjoyment. ... In the unlikely event that restringing is necessary due to defects in materials or workmanship, it will be done at no charge within one year of purchase and for a small fee thereafter, based upon the complexity of the design and the availability of matching beads..."

Barb

fyrsmith
2007-01-31, 5:39pm
Sad story: One of my customers picked out a pendant and handed it to her DH and said "Here, buy me this for Christmas". He did, but not end of story. When her teenage daughter was looking at it Christmas morning, she dropped it on the tile kitchen floor, and about 1/3 of it broke off. Her mother hadn't even had a chance to put it on :( Daughter was quite upset. Her mother works with my wife and asked if there was _anything_ I could do to repair it. It was a very transparent piece with fine lines, so there was no way I could fuse the end back on without it looking ugly. What I finally did, after it sat on my bench for a week, was to reheat it in the kiln then stretch it out again. This gave her a slightly different shape, but with the same colors. I didn't charge for this.

-Don-