Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Pyrex brand Borosilicate question

NightCat
2007-02-03, 11:49am
Has anyone here tried the Pyrex brand boro? Can you tell me how it works compared to some of the other brands of clear? I have pretty much only used Simax which I've been happy with but I am thinking about ordering some Pyrex just to try something different. What can I expect?

Thanks,
Ross

Venbead
2007-02-03, 11:59am
Doug remshneider only uses pyrex. I believe the strain temp is slightly higher and he garages beads at 975 if I remember correctly. don't quote me on that. I have used it and I think it's a very nice clear. I don't think i noticed that much of a difference between simax and pyrex but he swears it's cleaner and clearer. now all my clear is all mixed together and i couldn't tell you one brand from another except the kimax feels like plastic to me. those rods I can pick out.

Ro
2007-02-03, 1:29pm
in my experience pyrex is the seediest and most mishapen in tubing, simax is a step up from it. also depends on where you get it, how you get it, the more handling its had the more scratched the rods will be. i really only use simax for tubing work, but i have many rods of pyrex that need seed/scum removal not so terrible i cant use it, but a pain. pyrex is usually cheaper. pyrex feels plastic to me, in finished form, especially goblets. i think it really has to do with the handling issues with rod. the less its been through the better, so each persons supplier may effect how they are when they get them. but definitely pyrex is not as round and clean as simax in any tubing ive tried. i havent tried the rod in simax so i cant compare rods.
ro

sunray
2007-02-03, 4:25pm
They are very close to the same, however when you buy it Pyrex is in 4' sizes while Simax is 5'. The next step up seems to be Schott. My guys like the Simax better but they never tell me why..It is compatible to all Boro color rod.

Cosmo
2007-02-03, 5:23pm
Simax is "clearer" than Pyrex. In small things like beads you may not be able to tell, but I made a 2" marble with Pyrex a while back, and it just didn't look as "clear" as one made with Simax.

Simax also is less scummy, and boils less easy. I use Simax for most everything I do. If I'm doing something with a lot of fuming, I prefer Kimble. Other than that I use Simax. Never used Schott because of the price.

I will say that UST has come a long way since they first started. I do a lot of $6-8 production pieces our of UST and it works fine.

e. mort
2007-02-03, 9:45pm
Chad and Brent told me to go with Simax so that is all I have ever used except for a couple of pyrex punties I had leftover from my softglass working. I didn't like the pyrex as much. One day I would like to try Shot.

firefreak
2007-02-03, 10:54pm
I have used just about every brand. Pyrex,Simax, Kimble, UST, Boro-X,Chinex,Euro-x, and Schott.
Each brand has it's good and bad points. Except Schott, no bad points for that brand. works like butter, super clear, on and on. If I want a piece to be the best I can I use Schott. Just can't afford it for everything!!

I have trouble with devit on some of the cheaper brands if I work it to long, but all of the brands will do that if I work for an extended period. For production pieces I get whatever is on sale when I run low. For my better pieces, I spring for the Simax, Kimble, or Pyrex. The Schott I save for by best work. (I have 4 cases I'm hoarding like dragons gold)

Chad is right about Kimble and fuming. But Pyrex and fume give some wispy trails you cant get with any other brand as well.

I use the cheaper stuff for pieces I can turn out quick, so I don't risk devit.

Only brand I wouldn't buy again is Chinex. To many seeds and stones in the cases I got. I ended up loosing a couple of rods or tubes out of each case.

I don't think any one brand is best for everything. Schott would be my first pick followed by Simax.

Just my 02

NightCat
2007-02-04, 3:33pm
Very good info. Thank-you all very much. I think I will stick with the Simax. I know it, it seems to be good stuff so why change?

Does Schott make rod or just tubing? I use a lot of 25mm and I haven't seen Schott in the larger rods, though I will admit I haven't really looked.... mostly due to the cost.

Thanks,
Ross

sunray
2007-02-04, 7:27pm
Schott makes all sizes of rod.. These guys use the 26mm and 30mm in their shop

Cosmo
2007-02-05, 6:32am
Yeah, they make Schott in all sizes up to 30mm. The rod isn't too much more expensive. We sell a case of Simax 26mm for about $125. Schott is about $155. The tube is quite a bit more expensive from what I remember, though. We don't stock much Schott because most of my customers are pipe makers, and a lot of them are more interested in the cheapest glass they can find.

chayes
2007-02-12, 4:40pm
I'm gonna be distributing schott boro pretty soon if anyone is interested. Prices will be comparable to simax.

kmd
2007-02-23, 3:39am
Schott rod. Newbie question.
I have been given a quantity of Schott tubing, ex. laboratory. I work on a Minor burner. I have made a few beads using it with silver leaf and adding more clear on the top for texture, arms. legs, bumps etc. So far, so good, they look like weird marine life. The only Boro colour I have is a of Sample set of mixed colour rods, 4 inch length. Any hints for new players about starting out, and cool stuff to try?

Thank you,
KMD

smutboy420
2007-03-13, 8:29pm
I prefer simax.
When I started out I used pyrex exclusivly. I thought it was ok. Then once I worked some simax it was all over.
I'll use pyrex tube if I had to. But only if I had to. and I can't think of many reasons why I would have to.

The pyrex always seemed straight and round like they should be. But I HATE the extrusion lines runing down the tubes that you almost can't see intill its fumed. Then they stick out like a sore thumb.

I do some time still use pyrex rod tho.

PaulaD
2007-03-13, 9:19pm
I read somewhere that the pyrex rods have been reforumlated but I am no expert and so far have only used solid rods as cores for all 4 boro beads that I have made!

Paula

Juln
2007-04-18, 10:14am
It's funny; in the nineties Nobody would have asked "Has anyone here tried the Pyrex brand boro?". Ha ha, times have changed!

Anyway I'm with Bryan (firefreak), on all of that: Duran (Schott) is the best, Chinex is the worst. The differences for me are how they melt. It's not a big difference, all in all.
From softest and longest working time to stiffest,
Duran - Simax - Kimax - Pyrex
I think.

kiko
2007-04-18, 2:47pm
Right now I'm using Pyrex exclusively in both rod and tubing. I bought a butt load 1 1/2 years ago. I haven't had any problems with some of things mentioned in this thread. The tubing is nice and clear, no lines, no seeds or bubbles. The rod is nice and clear and works like butter. Maybe I just got a good batch? Lori

Karen Hardy
2007-04-18, 5:22pm
Say a person won the lottery/had a favorite rich Uncle die/discovered oil on their property. Where would one find this Schott glass that is supposed to be so amazing????

Cosmo
2007-04-18, 5:51pm
Say a person won the lottery/had a favorite rich Uncle die/discovered oil on their property. Where would one find this Schott glass that is supposed to be so amazing????

I'll be selling it soon...

chayes
2007-04-18, 8:40pm
I got 32 cases of shott in stock for the locals and can have it drop shipped from the closest warehouse on case orders. 30% off through april if anyone is interested pm me.

Juln
2007-04-18, 10:40pm
I used to order Schott from Glass Warehouse. They only sold by the case. I had no idea who sold it by the piece. It's never really been THAT expensive, just a little more - like $4-6 a lb instead of $3-4.

These days it's more available with the coming of the Artistic Series (Artistic Series means sizes familiar to US Boro workers who use tubing (i.e. pipemakers...); old Pyrex sizes were in inches and had wall thickness up to 4 or 5 mm. Duran and SImax tended to only go up to 3.2. Now theres Duran that is 4 and 5 mm thick in tubes, the Artistic Series) Duran is more available.

Duran isn't really that much more exciting than Simax, for most work.
It's nice because it blows out a little smoother, having a different viscosity curve than the others. Also, the tubes and rods tend to be more round and free of flaws. So, this is good for goblets and stuff where you want the shape to be perfect. Like SImax is 'softer' than Kimax or Pyrex, Duran is softer than SImax. Not much though.
Also I think Duran is the only type of 40 mm rod available... just what you needed, right Karen?