Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Quickie camera question...

Venessa
2007-02-03, 12:05pm
OK, I have read good things on both of these cameras...which do you recommend/prefer? If you selected other, what is it, and why? Feel free to give your own "review" on either of these cameras or a different one!

swanseafarm
2007-02-03, 12:24pm
They are all comparable.
I have a Nikon and love it but the Canon is just as good.
Just don't get suckered into the digital zoom hype. The only thing important in zoom features is the OPTICAL zoom, the higher the better. Digital zoom is crap and basically worthless.

:)

Venessa
2007-02-03, 12:31pm
Thanks! I have gathered from other posts that it is the optical zoom I should be concerned with.

Julabula
2007-02-03, 12:58pm
Hiya Venessa! I had the DSC from Sony and liked it a lot. It was stolen from my hotel room (bastards, it was my anniversary gift!) about 15 months ago. To replace it, I got the Canon PowerShot A610, and I LOVE IT! It has better features, IMO, than the DSC, and takes better photos.

Kevan
2007-02-03, 1:17pm
No lenses can compare to the Nikon lenses. I have never owned a Canon but I see people's pics that use them and they look pretty good.

lldesigns
2007-02-03, 1:26pm
Canon PowerShot S3-IS 6.2 Megapixel 12x Optical. I decided on this camera after talking to several "experts." It gives the most bang for the buck.

After doing lots of price comparisons, here are 2 sites with good prices.

http://www.usaphotonation.com/products.asp?product_id=12762&engine=shopcartusa

http://www.thedigitalexpo.com/product.asp?productid=1101B001&tab=1

lampworker1
2007-02-03, 3:01pm
The Nikon Coolpix because of the greater zoom potential for details on small items.

meadowesky
2007-02-03, 3:47pm
I am in a digital photography college course right now and had to compare cameras. One had to be the one that I have The powershot s2. I compared that with the S3 and really there isnt much difference. I had to choose which camera I would buy if I were doing it all over again and even my teacher agreed that the S2 was the best buy.
Save yourself a 100$ and get the S2. You will LOVE IT!!!
the super macro is so good on this sucker that you can touch a bead with the lens and still get a clear infocus shot. And the image stabilizer is a feature that you typically only find in extremely high priced cameras. Most of those have it built into the lens not the camera. It works too. I never use a tripod even during macro shootings.

Sherry
2007-02-03, 5:31pm
All Nikon, all the time.

Hubby's in love w/ Sony, also pretty awesome, but I found the Sony macro sucky.

LyndaJ
2007-02-03, 5:31pm
Nikon. Our old coolpix 5000 takes awsome close-ups. We have another Nikon for regular use.

drnihili
2007-02-03, 5:32pm
Lumix: Leica optics (better than Nikon IMHO), 12x optical zoom, image stabilization,and constant f throughout thezoom range.

2nd place would be Canon, then Nikon.

beadlvr
2007-02-03, 5:32pm
Yep, I was going to say the same one Laurie said, the Canon S3 IS. My DH wants that one and only that one. He likes everything about it, especially the stabilizer. He took a picture of my daughter while showing it to me in a store and was moving around and the picture was so clear and still.

Mustang Dawn
2007-02-03, 9:31pm
I have a nikon coolpix and love it!

Tanner Studios
2007-02-04, 1:46am
Just biting my tong......

FairySaddle
2007-02-04, 11:03am
We have an S3. It is wonderful!

I've been taking a break from lampworking since I was pregnant with DD - almost 3 years ago. :oops: 8-[ First I didn't want to risk it while pregnant, then it was just to hard to do with a toddler running around. Naptime is homework time for my kindergartener, and it's tough to get time to myself when DH is home to watch them. Anyway, getting back on topic...

The reason I said that, is that my priority right now is good action pictures and video. I forget the terms, but the S3 had the fastest delay between pushing the button and actually taking the picture. It drove me INSANE to always miss great shots because of delay.

Another cool thing about it is that you can take pictures while you are taking video. It makes the video pause for a second, but that's not so horrible - and you know the exact moment in time that picture was taken.

Oh, and it has a good recovery time after taking the picture. Which can also be improved by buying a fast media card, so don't skimp on that either.

So for those with young children - spend that extra $100 and splurge on the S3.

Downside - the pictures/video are much bigger. I'm eating up hard drive space FAST these days. And, you likely really will need to buy a bigger card (or two), which is an additional expense.

Nancy

drnihili
2007-02-05, 4:27pm
Just biting my tong......

Think she should spring for the SLR eh? ;)

jwelsh
2007-02-06, 9:56am
well i have the canon s2is and i use it for all my concert photos. we also have digital rebel and olympus c-5000 we use for our pendant pictures. i personally love the canon s2is. to see the pics i have taken with it click on this link: http://community.webshots.com/user/dalejrbud08

Tanner Studios
2007-02-09, 9:48pm
Drnihili, Yes. Not a fan of silver boxes. Nikon optic's third place! please.
Scott
P.S OMG I meant thong! Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

pipyr
2007-02-17, 12:04pm
I got a great deal on my olympus dslr and two lenses...I think it was around $600. The lenses are actually quite good for a "kit" and I'm happy with it. Of course, for small beads, DSLRs are going to be expensive because you should really get a dedicated macro lens. Even for my pieces, I sometimes wish I had one, but I do have a pretty good rage for the two lenses and I do weddings and such on occasion, so it was a good deal for me. There are other options to look into as well...there are DSLRs out there with a fixed lens...they normally have excellent macros and are reasonably priced, but you will be getting all the advantages of a DSLR (basically higher quality pictures) other than the ability to change lenses...food for thought ;)

Mary K
2007-02-25, 8:44pm
I have a Canon PowerShot A710 IS digital camera, with 7.1megapixels and a
6X optical zoom. Is this a good camera for bead photography? I have struggled to get good shots, but I am not a good photographer. I have a cube, but need more lights. I hope I have a good enough camera, as not likely to afford another.
Mary K

Passing Glass
2007-02-26, 11:36am
I have a question for everyone. Regarding the S2 macro mode:
Save yourself a 100$ and get the S2. You will LOVE IT!!!
the super macro is so good on this sucker that you can touch a bead with the lens and still get a clear infocus shot.

The camera comparison/review websites say that the S2 has a macro focus range of 10cm, which isn't that good actually. Has that not been your experiences? Can you really touch the bead with the lens and get a good focus with the Canon Powershot s2 is?

tiggybubba
2007-02-27, 5:13pm
WAHHH!!!

Dont tell me that the Sony Macro sucks....I have one coming to me. I'm putting up with crappy internet to get it (long story, I work for the phone co) It says that the macro is good to 2cm. I thought that was good. Its the Cyber-shot DSC-W55 7.2mp. I think im gonna cry if I have sentenced myself to 3yrs of blech internet to get it.

pipyr
2007-02-28, 2:49pm
WAHHH!!!

Dont tell me that the Sony Macro sucks....I have one coming to me. I'm putting up with crappy internet to get it (long story, I work for the phone co) It says that the macro is good to 2cm. I thought that was good. Its the Cyber-shot DSC-W55 7.2mp. I think im gonna cry if I have sentenced myself to 3yrs of blech internet to get it.

Tiggy! Don't worry!! I have heard phenominal things about the sony lenses, particularly in macro mode. I don't think you'll be disappointed! :love:

Passing Glass
2007-02-28, 3:19pm
Oh no, Tiggy, I didn't mean that. We can't say "all" of any feature by any company always sucks. Each company has products that are better and worse than their others and other companies'.

I was just saying that the s2-is review that I saw showed a macro focus of 10cm. Just that particular model. I think it was a mistake though. That's what I was trying to verify. I'm sure you will love your camera!

tiggybubba
2007-03-01, 2:03pm
Got my new camera today!!! YIPEE!!
Gonna play tonight. Will post pics later

tiggybubba
2007-03-01, 9:01pm

Ok, the bead on the left is the old camera. Sony cybershot 3.2 MP

The bead on the right is the new camera Sony cyber shot 7.2 MP

I also have to say that the first pic has been tweeked in photoshop to sharpen it up.

Here is another example...again old pic on the left and new pic on the right.

Alaskalinda
2007-03-04, 3:06am
I use an Olympus Stylus, have both the 400 and the 800. I use them both..... I find that my actual lighting is what is important and creates the biggest problems for me.

What camera is best for manual white balance?

drnihili
2007-04-11, 8:50pm
Drnihili, Yes. Not a fan of silver boxes. Nikon optic's third place! please.
Scott
P.S OMG I meant thong! Thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

Oh, I was giving nikon third place overall, not on optics. There they'd come in second. But frankly any of the three have optics that are indistinguishable at the amateur level, especially in "silver boxes".

J. Savina
2007-11-04, 7:56am
I have the S2. Been using is for a couple of years. LOVE IT. Love the Macro lens. I have a booklet and CD on how to use every feature of this camera. It's called, "A Short Course in Cannon PowerShot S2 IS Photography (http://www.shortcourses.com)" by Dennis P. Curtin. This booklet/CD is amazing. I not only learned about my camera, but I also learned a lot about taking pictures/photography.
J.

sortaflower
2007-11-05, 5:09pm
:) My "other" is an Olympus sp-55ouz , it is digital but has a great macro and super macro so I can get good close ups and it also has image stabilization which is great if you are taking your pictures in a natural setting without a tri-pod set up:) run on sentence lol, hope you find the perfect camera, now I am running along , Smiles Jenelle (ps half the price of an Olympus slr)

topher wren
2008-01-15, 2:08am
canon and nikon are to of the tops in lenses, nikon I would rate better though, they have more coatings on the lens so it yealds better color and sharper images.

afina
2008-01-15, 2:18am
I have the Canon PowerShot A710 IS digital camera, with 7.1megapixels and a
6X optical zoom. I love it. I take my bead pictures with the macro, and this camera is all I need.
I also have the Olympus EOS 300D SLR, but I rarely use it, I prefer the Canon.

Jayne-0-
2009-03-29, 8:43am
I just got a Canon sx110is, and for me it works really well for my bead shots.

Shrimp
2009-08-09, 8:53pm
This a really old thread, but I finally figured out how to get some good pics with my Canon PowerShot A530

beadgirl
2009-08-10, 8:49am
Aleta,
Very nice picture.
MarieAnn

Shrimp
2009-08-10, 9:11pm
Thank you MarieAnn. I'm beginning to think my photography skills are out doing my bead skills!

Mike Jordan
2009-08-11, 9:30pm
That's an interesting and nice looking piece. Have you tried lighting it from behind (or underneath if you are shooting down)? It looks like some light coming through it would really bring out the colors and swirls of glass.

Mike

Shrimp
2009-08-12, 7:24pm
That's an interesting and nice looking piece. Have you tried lighting it from behind (or underneath if you are shooting down)? It looks like some light coming through it would really bring out the colors and swirls of glass.

Mike

When I get a chance, I'll try that Mike. Thank you for the suggestion.

maren
2009-08-27, 11:15pm
As this is about the newest camera thread around, or at least one with recent posts, I just actually (for the first time) bought myself a camera (my previous ones are hand-me-downs). It's a Canon A1000 IS, for $130. For what I'm currently doing I can't really justify $200 or more for a camera. This is my first camera with an optical zoom and with macro setting.

Question for the people with the experience: is this at least half decent for a camera?

WildThing
2009-08-29, 9:42pm
I use a Nikon D40. It's the best digital camera I have ever had! Sharp, clean, crisp photos and the colors are great! YOu can't miss with this one.

flyingcorgi
2010-09-24, 2:05pm
As this is about the newest camera thread around, or at least one with recent posts, I just actually (for the first time) bought myself a camera (my previous ones are hand-me-downs). It's a Canon A1000 IS,
Question for the people with the experience: is this at least half decent for a camera?

Maren,

I bought a Canon A1200 IS for just "knocking around" instead of the SLR I usually use, and was pleasantly, seriously impressed with the quality of photos it takes. Of course I had to take some bead photos, and in some circumstances the images look BETTER than my SLR. Which maybe just means I need to upgrade my SLR, but ... you'll be happy with the Canon. I take it everywhere. Battery lasts forever.

Regards,
- Becky in MN