Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Annealing times: beads vs. marbles

rainygrrl
2007-02-07, 11:34am
I have recently started making some marble-like objects and have a few questions...

My bead annealing schedule, based on research some time ago, has a 1 hour annealing soak then a ramp down to below the strain point. But Drew Fritts recommends 1 hour per 1/4 inch of marble diameter. So for a 1-inch marble, that would be a 4 hour soak. For beads with at least as much glass mass that have been annealed for 1 hour, I haven't had a problem with breakage. Is less annealing time required for beads because there is a mandrel going through the middle? Or am I missing something?

So I made a marble that unintentionally grew to 1" and I annealed it for 1 hour. Then I was reading and got concerned. So I batch annealed it for 4 hours. When it was cool, I froze it then warmed it up to room temp. It has survived so far. So is it possible that it still is not properly annealed? It won't be leaving my possession, but I wonder whether it needs to spend its life in a ziplock bag.

Right now I'm using soft glass. Would the same things apply to boro?

I haven't found the answers to these questions in my searches. Thanks in advance for any insights.

rainygrrl
2007-02-08, 9:14am
Bump. No takers?

I usually torch afternoon to early evening and always anneal for at least 1 hour. A 4-hour soak would limit my options, as I don't like to go to sleep with the kiln on.

TIA.