Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : I want to try raku

Ellen Haskell
2007-02-21, 10:40am
I want to try my hand at making beads with the raku effect. However, I'm not sure what to purchase. Could anyone offer some suggestions and possibly a source for the glass? Thanks!

Kevan
2007-02-21, 10:55am
Raku is made by Reichenbach. You can buy raku canes from Olympic Color Rod in Seattle. If you want to make stinger it's so much easier to do it with canes than making stringer from frit. You will get a better result, too. Here is a place on Ebay selling the cane also.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. QrdZ1QQssPageNameZWD1VQQcmdZViewItem

If you want to try raku frit you can buy just an oz or two from lots of people .

The actual name is Iris Orange. Here are a bunch of places on Ebay that sell it. I suggest size #1 or #2.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

beadgoodies
2007-02-21, 11:26am
Raku is good in a size 0 too -- especially for encasing. You shouldn't have any trouble finding any. It's all over the place!!

Here's a link to a post that has a list of most of the frit sellers (many also sell the cane): To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Candy

danelady
2007-02-21, 11:34am
I buy my raku cane from To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. (To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.) it's the best price I've found yet.
To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. Raku Rod & frit

Kevan
2007-02-21, 11:50am
It costs half that at OCR. They sell it by the bundle and a bundle is about 1/2 lb. or 1/4 kilo. It's 10.94 for `1/2 lb.

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

danelady
2007-02-21, 5:07pm
Hey Kevan, if you could share with me It would help me tremendously...
I am curious what it cost you for shipping on that 1/4 kilo... last time I ordered a bundle of color from them my shipping was $8.56 which was I thought pretty high.... and it took me 2 weeks to get it... so I haven't ordered since....
thanks
Lynnie
It costs half that at OCR. They sell it by the bundle and a bundle is about 1/2 lb. or 1/4 kilo. It's 10.94 for `1/2 lb.

Ellen Haskell
2007-02-21, 6:44pm
Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check them out tonight.:razz:

Karen Hardy
2007-02-21, 7:52pm
Regardless of where you order, make sure that you read
ALL the way through the "Secrets of Raku" thread
before you light your torch. Raku is a picky, nasty,
whiny, evil glass. Or it's your best friend.
Depends on how you hold your tongue when you torch....

Kevan
2007-02-21, 7:58pm
Hey Kevan, if you could share with me It would help me tremendously...
I am curious what it cost you for shipping on that 1/4 kilo... last time I ordered a bundle of color from them my shipping was $8.56 which was I thought pretty high.... and it took me 2 weeks to get it... so I haven't ordered since....
thanks
Lynnie

That does seen steep for 1/2 lb. Maybe if you order more it would be cheaper? I don't have it shipped to me. Maybe I should do a bulk raku buy lol.

danelady
2007-02-21, 9:06pm
LOL Yeah, I bet we could get a great deal thru Jon... I ordered 1/4 lb thru him at retail and shipping was 4 bucks.. want me to se if I can get us a reduced price?That does seen steep for 1/2 lb. Maybe if you order more it would be cheaper? I don't have it shipped to me. Maybe I should do a bulk raku buy lol.

Kevan
2007-02-21, 9:24pm
Well, I can drive up to Seattle and get it at 10.94 a 1/4 kilo. I'm going up there next week anyway. It's on sale for 20% off right now. So that's like 8.75. That makes a lb. 17.50. Geez. for $8 I can ship as much as fits into a flat rate priority box.

They can hold up to 70lbs. Though, I don't know what you can fit in there that would equal 70 lbs. Gold maybe. lol

Ellen Haskell
2007-02-22, 7:31am
Regardless of where you order, make sure that you read
ALL the way through the "Secrets of Raku" thread
before you light your torch. Raku is a picky, nasty,
whiny, evil glass. Or it's your best friend.
Depends on how you hold your tongue when you torch....

Karen, you are a hoot! I've always believed anything that is complicated is best done with your mouth in the correct position. In fact I thought that was a scientific fact! Anyway, I have the warnings now and I will proceed with caution. Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.
Ellen

Mustang Dawn
2007-02-22, 10:05am
Here is a good site. Go down to Frits (Raku Jitterbug as it was called a long time ago) and check it out. It's a blast from my past. Click on my bead and it will take you to my "how too" and a lot of other's "how too's". I never knew this was there until a client of mine showed me, lol To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts. A lot of good stuff there.

Raku is a great reactive glass to play with. Have Fun!

Dawn