Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : ASK Silver Cinnamon - why doesn't it strike all the time?

*Naos*
2007-02-27, 12:17pm
Is it just me or do you have problems making Silver Cinnamon strike at will?

Sometimes I can get the most gorgeous rusty color out of it and other times it looks just like Caramel Apple - a light tan with some streaks...and no matter what I do, I can't get the red to show up...

Next bead, same rod, same flame, the cinnamon color shows up...what gives? LOL

Is it schizophrenic glass or what? :lol:

bubblebabeuk
2007-02-27, 4:11pm
I had this problem recently no matter what I did the damn stuff wouldn't strike properly! I was positive my glass had got muddled, although I am anal and label ever single rod LOL! :hide:

I worked out what my particular problem was, my tin foil magic HH reducing collar had holes in it! I find just working close to the torch mouth for reduction isn't sufficient to do the job you see, it can be a little hit and miss.

replaced the foil, actually got a proper reducing flame and WOW got color again!

I worked it out when I clicked the HH was bloody noisy even with the collar up! if it fits right (the tinfoil collar) the noise stops LOL I flip my tinfoil collar up when the phone rings so I can hear what is being said!

rosebud101
2007-02-27, 6:08pm
How do I make a reducing collar for a HH? How tall does it have to be? What am I trying to cover up? Help!

Thanks,
Mallory
rosebud101

rosebud101
2007-02-27, 6:08pm
Where do you put the reducing collar on the torch?

Thanks, again,
Mallory
rosebud101

bubblebabeuk
2007-02-28, 4:20am
hang on will find pic's for you! got them somewhere on the PC

bubblebabeuk
2007-02-28, 4:31am
Okay I use a strip of Kitchen/cooking silver colored foil, over here in the Uk its called baconfoil, we cover food with it etc. I haven't a clue what its called over in the USA. anyhow, I folded it into a narrow-ish strip, wrapped it around the HH air inlet holes just below the head, twist the excess together to ensure a good firm fit and form a handle, then slide the collar down to rest on the thinner metal neck until you need to reduce something. simply pull the collar up to block the air holes, you'll know its working right as the torch goes really quiet! and the flame turns yellowish, although a pale blue fluffy quiet flame works as well! remember the tinfoil collar will need replacing occasionally you'll know when because your reducing will be substandard. This trick works a treat and is effective on the DH, R4 silver glasses as well as the silver based ASK colors.

HTH any prob's give me a yell and I can do a basic step by step on this trick if necessary!

bubblebabeuk
2007-02-28, 4:32am
oooh just seen what a tip my desk is, please ignore the mess!

pokieokie
2007-02-28, 6:25am
I get a better and more consistant reduction with Carmel Apple. Silver Cinnamon is the next best, Silver Rattan is last. I have a foil collar too. The Ask Colors are my favs, although I haven't had the $ to try the double helix or R4 colors. I want to wait till I upgrade. Gotta save for a torch.

Pam in OKC