Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : International shipping costs

Kalera
2007-03-04, 1:29pm
I am not really sure if this is the place to post this question, but I hope it will be moved to a more appropriate place if there is one.

I recently had a customer inquire about shipping to the Netherlands. I use USPS, and my rates are taken directly from the USPS website. When I told her how much shipping would be, she replied "That is strange though cause everywhere else that I order glass rods in the US I pay between $5.25 and $9.50. And that is up to 4 pounds."

I cannot figure out how others can ship for so cheaply. The only thing I can imagine for those rates is that they're using flat-rate envelopes... which could be done, if I cut the rods in half, but shipping rods in an envelope seems like a guarantee of broken glass on arrival.

I am hoping for input from others who either ship or receive glass internationally. What method do you use, how is it packaged, and does it usually arrive intact?

Thanks!

Kym
2007-03-04, 1:40pm
Kalera,
I would like to only pay under ten dollars! I pay anything from 30 to 45 to Australia and it is usally shipped in a box, the rods wrapped in plastic and pasked with stryofoam beads. It has never arrived even chipped. I very much doubt that a flat rate envelope would arrive with anything in one piece.

Kymmaree

WeeMary
2007-03-04, 1:54pm
I've never paid that little to the UK. I've been quoted $56 for a quarter pound! It's usually $15 to $25.

MaryBeth
2007-03-04, 2:11pm
Kalera, Obviously I'm not international but perhaps others sellers are eating some of the shipping costs just to make a sale?

I can't even imagine how you would fit rods even cut in half in the large flat rate envelope. And you are not allowed to reinforce the glued together parts of the envelope with tape. I wouldn't risk anything heavy in them.

InspirationToolworks
2007-03-04, 2:15pm
I'd wonder if the were eating shipping costs as well. You could probably fit a small amount of glass in a global priority flat rate envelope if you were clever about it, but geesh.

Maybe they have a really good deal with FedEx or UPS?? I checked out their prices, and everything I saw was $50 or more.

-Jeff

Kalera
2007-03-04, 2:24pm
I know it's not FedEx or UPS because of the brokerage fees... they're outrageous! I can imagine eating some of the shipping... I often do... but a 4-lb BOX would cost $30 to ship to the Netherlands, and 4 lbs of glass... unless it's something really stupendous... doesn't have enough of a profit margin to eat $20 of that! They have to be shipping in the flat-rate envelopes, but there's no physical way I can think of to fit 4 lbs of rods in one, even cut in half. I wonder if she's mostly only bought frit? 'Cause it seems like anything else would be frit by the time it got there...

ammaws
2007-03-04, 2:39pm
Granted I don't ship very often, but what about the flat rate boxes from USPS. They have one that ships for $4.10. You could actually get several pounds of glass in a box. When I was shipping soap to people last year, I could get quite a bit in one of those boxes. They also have a larger one that is $8.40 (?) I think. Jan

Gail Joseph
2007-03-04, 2:42pm
I charge based on the rates off the USPS charts, if that helps! I can't imagaine being able to eat the difference!--Gail

McDuck
2007-03-04, 3:03pm
It is strange, but if you pay shipping via paypal overseas, it can be more costly than taking it in person to the usps.

CO_Phantom
2007-03-04, 5:07pm
From what I can see, there are no actual flat rate boxes for overseas shipping. Those are only for domestic.

I think perhaps she's only bought small items (mandrels? frit, other small tools) that could fit in a large flat rate envelope. And my other guess is that they are eating some of the shipping, particularly if it's a large amount of glass.

4 lbs, $30 to me doesnt' sound that much. I was charged nearly $30 for my CZs I just bought in the bulk buy! And the shipping labels did add up to that much for domestic shipping, so....yeah. $30 isn't much. She's blowin' smoke. Or hoping you'll eat some of the shipping so she can get cheaper glass.

It's like the techs with 2 year degrees that call my company and tell them they're crazy for only giving x amount of dollars per hour, because they can get at least $5 more an hour (more than the 4 year degree techs make through my company) at this other company....

yeah, right. Just trying to get a better deal by making you think you'd lose business if you don't lower your price to their story about shipping.

-Amy

InspirationToolworks
2007-03-04, 5:47pm
From what I can see, there are no actual flat rate boxes for overseas shipping. Those are only for domestic.

Unfortunate, but true. There are small and large flat rate envelopes though.

See here for flat rate global envelopes. The large one is 12.5" x 9.25"

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

See here for flat rate *domestic shipping* boxes:

To view links or images in this forum your post count must be 1 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-Jeff

Kalera
2007-03-05, 12:30am
Thanks for the replies! I just ended up telling her that the only way I could ship cheaper would be to use the flat-rate envelope with the rods cut in half, and that I didn't think they would survive shipping but if she wants to try it at her own risk I would do it for her. No reply. :rolleyes:

I kind of suspect that she looked at rates on USPS.com and was trying to "leverage" me into cheaper shipping, as you mentioned. I really can't afford to eat the shipping charges! I wish international package shipping wasn't so expensive, but it is, and I can't do anything about it. :(

bead-licious
2007-03-05, 4:38am
Kalera,
I buy large amounts of glass from US sellers. 1 pound always costs me $16 USD to Australia via Airmail. I just bought 8 pounds and shipping was $50 USD Airmail.
Last order shipping came to $144 USD but that's another story......

Carli

InspirationToolworks
2007-03-05, 6:37am
It is strange, but if you pay shipping via paypal overseas, it can be more costly than taking it in person to the usps.

The thing that really cheeses me off is that PayPal KNOWS what you are shipping if you use the shopping cart, but doesn't fill in the customs form inputs for you. What a waste of time.

That's the main reason I just print the addresses and pay at the post office. I use the little green customs forms whenever possible. I just write something like "5 glass craft tools" "1 lb, 5 oz" "$85" and have never had a problem.

-Jeff

dogmaw
2007-03-05, 7:28am
Jeff, I do the same as you. We ship quite a few of our glass orders out of the country, and have never ever had anything ship for less than $15. Most of the time it starts at $25 for slow as snail shipping. I usually give the customer a choice of which shipping to use. Not everyone wants to pay the EMS rates.

Kalera
2007-03-05, 2:29pm
I take our international packages to the PO too... it's just as simple, even though I only get there once a week.

Thanks for the replies!

Bill Thornton
2007-03-05, 3:21pm
Hi Kalera
We Ship to the Netherlands and it cost a lot. Ask them who, because you want the information to better serve your customers. See if you get a straight answer. We charge what it cost.Not sure we should because it is a real pain in the rear end.
As long as you charge what it cost, that is all you can do. I have only heard good things about your business, so I keep it up and let the chips , I mean rods fly where they may.
Bill T. (Moretti and More)

Islandgirl
2007-03-05, 3:45pm
I know that you can ship to Canada for far less than the posted USPS postal rates, so I'm assuming that the rates to Europe are also off! I;ve paid the quoted rate to me on a number of occasions and got a parcel with postage that cost less than 30% of what the USPS site quoted! And no I didn;t get the balance refunded!!!! I'm talking being gouged $15 to $20 not nickles and dimes... but they got the rates off of the USPS site!

Lynne

Jacinthe
2007-03-05, 4:18pm
Heya Kalera...

I don't know who it was that was trying to get you to ship for that price, but that is outrageous if they find anyone to ship from the US for that price i want to know her seller too!

The only way I can figure is if they ship slow boat to china...
which takes 6weeks to 3 months to get here...

Gail Joseph
2007-03-05, 5:46pm
I know that you can ship to Canada for far less than the posted USPS postal rates, so I'm assuming that the rates to Europe are also off! I;ve paid the quoted rate to me on a number of occasions and got a parcel with postage that cost less than 30% of what the USPS site quoted! And no I didn;t get the balance refunded!!!! I'm talking being gouged $15 to $20 not nickles and dimes... but they got the rates off of the USPS site!

Lynne

Maybe the weights were off in these cases?

CO_Phantom
2007-03-05, 6:35pm
My guess is either the weights were off and so the quoted shipping was more, or they quoted you a more expensive but quicker route and then went with a cheaper route when actually shipping.

Not that it's right, but....that's probably what happened. I've found the rates on the USPS website are very accurate.

-Amy

MaryBeth
2007-03-05, 8:42pm
My guess is either the weights were off and so the quoted shipping was more, or they quoted you a more expensive but quicker route and then went with a cheaper route when actually shipping.

Not that it's right, but....that's probably what happened. I've found the rates on the USPS website are very accurate.

-Amy

I agree. I have an accurate scale and the USPS website will show every available method of shipping and the costs. When I then take my package to the post office their charge is in total agreement with the website.

glassworks
2007-03-06, 1:20am
we ship internationally from belgium to the uk and to the netherlands and the rest of europe - and the prices she was asking for won't even get 4lbs from us to the netherlands - and we can drive ther in an hour!!!... i suspect you were being tapped up to eat some of the shipping...

we drive throught o the uk once a week anyway - and take all our heavy stuff with us to save our customers on shipping - although we ship from belgium if requested.. the postage is 60% cheaper when it is from the home country, even though belgium is in the middle of everyone international shipping IS pricey!

:doubt:

Kalera
2007-03-11, 6:26pm
Thanks guys!!!

Islandgirl, my experience with shipping to Canada is that you can ship most packages for just about what it would cost to ship Priority within the US, but it's far more expensive when it comes o shipping to Europe or another overseas destination.

I never heard back from the customer. I feel pretty relieved to hear that I'm not missing something big, shipping-rate wise.

suzanne
2007-03-15, 12:14am
Heya Kalera...

I don't know who it was that was trying to get you to ship for that price, but that is outrageous if they find anyone to ship from the US for that price i want to know her seller too!

The only way I can figure is if they ship slow boat to china...
which takes 6weeks to 3 months to get here...

Ditto! I'd love to know where she gets her stuff for that price, I always pay a whole lot more for my stuff, 12 dollar for a single beadpress, and between 20 and 40 dollar for glass . I usually order somewhere between 2 and 4 lb so the price you just quoted is correct. Shipping fees are actually quite cheap from the US to the Netherlands compared to the shippingfees from The Netherlands to the US. I just payed 30 dollar to get some beads ( not even 1 lb) to be shipped off.....I hate shippingfees.

Miriam
2007-03-15, 1:21am
Customers like that give us Dutchies a bad name.:wink:

I just received some glass from Quinton from Belgium, which is our neigbour country. For half a pound I paid about $10. So a shipment overseas will be at least double.

glassworks
2007-03-15, 9:53am
we have been struggling with shipping to our customers in europe as well as the states here from belgium... sometimes we drive a short distance from our barn to actually post from france, for the french, from holland for the dutch and to the uk for the english!!

guess thats one good thing about living in the middle of europe!! :cool:

suzanne
2007-03-15, 10:50am
lol quinton

Miriam
2007-03-16, 12:37am
sometimes we drive a short distance from our barn to actually post from france, for the french, from holland for the dutch and to the uk for the english!!

Now that is one hell of a customer service. =D>

glassworks
2007-03-16, 12:35pm
we do EVERYTHING we can!!!!!

:waving: \\:D/

meadowesky
2007-03-16, 3:18pm
I have found that if you actually go to the post office and ship from there the shipping price can be 1/2 of what it is online. Seriously. I can ship beads to australia for less than 2$ but when I quote it online it is around 5-6$

Kalera
2007-03-16, 3:36pm
Most likely that is because when most people look up shipping for a small package online, they look at the price under Airmail Parcel Post or Economy Parcel Post, but a small box will actually be sent Airmail Letter Post, which is far less expensive. The price on the website for a 2-oz box to Australia is $1.80, which I can vouch for the accuracy of as I was at the Post Office mailing little boxes yesterday. :)

I heard back from my customer. She says that she has purchased glass from the US twice, and in one case the shipper did cover a portion of her shipping, and in the other they used a flat-rate envelope, but it was only a small amount of rods. So she was not fishing for a better price, she just hadn't encountered the usual, uncensored, uncut, all-real shipping costs before and was shocked by how high they are.

mixednut
2007-03-16, 4:13pm
I have sell my lampwork and I was just curious I was considering selling to canada as well. Do you have to do custom papers to ship there?

InspirationToolworks
2007-03-16, 4:19pm
I have sell my lampwork and I was just curious I was considering selling to canada as well. Do you have to do custom papers to ship there?

Yep, but as long as it is less than 4 lbs and $400, you can use the small green forms which are easy to fill out. If you go over that you have to go up to the big white triplicate forms that have to go into a clear envelope stuck to the side of the box.

I'd stay away from using PayPal to pay for international shipping. They make it WAY to hard and annoying.

-Jeff

mixednut
2007-03-18, 5:16pm
I'd stay away from using PayPal to pay for international shipping. They make it WAY to hard and annoying.

-Jeff

That is very helpful thank you Jeff, but curious how do you pay then. My shipping is included and the pay it like that then I go and pay it here when I ship it at the post office.
I don't print a shipping label through them is that what you meant?

InspirationToolworks
2007-03-18, 6:10pm
I just print up a pair of address labels.... one for the box and one for the (small green) customs form.

Then I just pay over the counter for shipping with my business credit card. I offer flat rate shipping per country on my website. I know what most of my boxes weigh, so I come out close enough.

-Jeff

mixednut
2007-03-19, 9:15am
That makes sense (flat rate) thanks for the help.