Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Critique it!! :)

pipyr
2007-03-06, 12:35am
Hey all! I've been working on a new set-up for my pics and wanted to share how I've done so far:

I don't even want to show my old picture of this piece next to it because it looks sooooooo awful next to this one! lol! I finally got my tripod quick release (a friend borrowed the first one) for my favorite piece of photo equiptment (I have a bogen tripod...if you ever need a really good tripod, bogen is the way to go!!) and while I still want to play around with the aperture and adjust the lights a tad and such, I think I'm happy with the shot. I'm working on trying to get into some juried shows and I really need feedback. Is anything distracting? Do you get a good over-all impression of the glass piece? Does the photo appear to be of high quality? This is my first year looking into juried shows, so I have no idea how competitive they will be. I think I should be prepared for some stiff competition, though!! Thanks for any input or feedback!! :love:

chrisdd
2007-03-06, 8:58am
I think your photo, and your piece, are perfectly gorgeous.

swanseafarm
2007-03-06, 8:59am
Very professional.

LOve the art. :love:

lenora
2007-03-06, 9:57am
I can't find a single thing wrong. It looks fabulous!!!

Dale M.
2007-03-06, 10:13am
AWESOME..........

Dale

pipyr
2007-03-06, 10:41am
WOW!! I can't tell you how relieved I am to hear this!!! I feel like I'm way over my head with trying to get into these shows, but I've had a couple pretty prestigious galleries contact me and I know that MUST mean I have to move forward with this! Between making a bunch of pieces to show the galleries, setting up my booth (and of course I'm custom making all my displays because I have specific ideas in mind...lol), getting pictures done for juried shows, finding and filling out applications for juried shows, and trying to create some of the new "designs" I have sketched to satisfy my own creative needs, I feel like I'm going in a million different directions...it gets a little easier once this first leap is done, right??? :lol:

Tanner Studios
2007-03-06, 4:07pm
Pipyr, It is as close to perfect as it needs to be. How ever it is not perfect. There is still a shadow that is unexplained. I only say this, because you have sought perfection. And you are at the threshold. I will not give you the answer. It would not serve you as well as... solving the puzzle for yourself. The clue is this.... One sun.

But I love your glass. I love your Art. And I love the photo as is.

If your seeking higher ground. Ask yourself what the hell am I talking about?
Much Love
Scott

pipyr
2007-03-06, 5:22pm
Thanks Scott!! I think I know what you're saying but I'm not sure yet how to fix it. I will think on it and fiddle with it until I get it ;) Thanks again for the critique! That's exactly what I was looking for! :love:

Tanner Studios
2007-03-06, 6:40pm
Pipyr, What is it that you need to FIX ? Your photo is absolutely Beautiful (as well as your art ). Here are some questions that you should ask yourself.

Question 1: Will this photo sell my art?
Question 2: Do I really care if its not perfect. Or do I need it to be perfect. Because I care about my art. Not about sells?
Question 3: Do I really care what some, on line idiot thinks of my idea of perfection ?
Question 4: Is there another level. That I can take my lighting too?
Question 5: Is photography about equipment. Or is it about seeing light?

And now another riddle. Light is to nature, As solutions are to photography.
Scott

pipyr
2007-03-06, 10:05pm
Ok scott...

If there is only one sun and light is to nature as solutions are to photography, it would stand to reason that the imperfection in my photo is the slight double shadow. I would love to get rid of both of those shadows (for those of you looking, look to the sides of the granite on the ground) and leave only the strong shadow cast directly below the base.

Obviously, using only one light source would not be an option, as it would cast harsh shadows and would not be evenly lit. But, on an overcast day, light is diffused and bounced all around a subject, creating very even light, which is what I want. So...if I'm missing a light source, the only beneficial place I could think to put it would be shining in from the top, as it would be from the sky...am I on the right track here?? :)

I'll grab another light and give it a whirl :D Thanks for the feedback, Scott, and yes, I think this photo would sell my art, and probably will use it for this particular piece because this one is on it's way to a new home...But I'm always striving for perfection, especially when it comes to anything having to do with my artwork, and I have a lot more photos to take ;) Oh! And photography is most definitely not about equiptment!! I probably have less than $40 invested in my photo set-up, not including my camera and tripod. Photography is about learning to use the light you have and seeing the way the camera sees and records...with light only :love: This has been very good feedback, Scott...thank you again!

Tanner Studios
2007-03-07, 12:27am
What a brilliant mind you have Pipyr! Guess that explains why your art so beautiful and wonderful.

But before I answer the riddle. I have one more Question.

Is the MOON a light source?
Scott