Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : jpg vs. jpeg

barbbbeads
2007-03-06, 10:36pm
Is there a difference between the two or is it the same and how people abbreviate? If there is is a difference, what is it? Does it affect our photo clarity if we save in jpeg and upload in jpg? Again, if there is a difference, do photo hosting sites like Photobucket give the option?

AbbyC
2007-03-09, 9:58pm
I think jpg is what Mac calls it and jpeg is what Windows calls it. There is no difference. If you care a lot about quality, always save in RAW or TIFF and then edit and save a COPY as jpeg. NEVER edit a jpg/jpeg to another jpg; you lose information every time you do that.

There is a good article in the current Lapidary Journal about this very subject.

barbbbeads
2007-03-09, 10:39pm
I think jpg is what Mac calls it and jpeg is what Windows calls it. There is no difference. If you care a lot about quality, always save in RAW or TIFF and then edit and save a COPY as jpeg. NEVER edit a jpg/jpeg to another jpg; you lose information every time you do that.

There is a good article in the current Lapidary Journal about this very subject.

I thought they were pretty much the same. I just got to wondering when I saw on some sites to save to either jpg or jpeg if there was a difference. After reading the Levels tutorial by Scott, I never save from jpeg to jpeg now. I always go from raw to jpeg now.