Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Modular/Component Lampwork Station

WizardandGlass
2007-03-10, 11:35am
Bruce Lee said "Do that which is direct." I take that to mean "Do it if it works and if it works do it". Thus, I want access so all usable space within arm's reach. Foot pedal torch control. A place for each tool. No tools that are unnecessary. Sit and work comfortably with fresh filtered air from behind my head. A back massager, back heater for cold mornings. Arm rests. And NO big table in front of me to make a mess on. It takes about 10 minutes to move everything and sweep and mop. It is a lot like a drummer's setup mixed with a dentist's chair and pedestal.

I only work boro and this setup allows me to make any project I can come up with which will fit in my kiln and a few which don't.

e. mort
2007-03-10, 12:41pm
Very cool, but it does kind of look like something that they strap you into when they really want to find out everything you know. :shock: :lol:

Seriously though, I really like some of the ideas here, and I am already re-evaluating my own area to see what I can do with it. Thanks for posting the picture.

Litsayn
2007-03-10, 2:24pm
WOW that is a really amazing work space! It would be interesting to see a photo of you at work so I can get an idea of how your stucture functions.

TessT
2007-03-11, 10:07am
Thanks for showing.

I'm with Eric - the pictures make it seem like it has a kind of creepy dentist's office meets torture chamber (think Marathon Man) kind of feel to it. I wouldn't be surprised if it had bad Muzak piped in.

I too would like to see a photo of you working in it.

ellyloo
2007-03-12, 12:19pm
you're right, it does remind me of someone making some kind of music.
The Grand Orchestrator.

WizardandGlass
2007-03-12, 4:41pm
I make no apologies for it looking like a torture device. You should have seen it before it calmed down. It is indeed very functional. It fits (minus kilns and chair) in my Geo for out of town events. I do not know if it would work for anyone else, only that it works well for me. The Victor is a tank of torch and has worked flawlessly for years. It also has a barrel like a sniper rifle, that is to say it produces a very steady pinpoint flame throughout the range of the flame.

With foot pedals and fine flame control (and a pilot light) I can work 5 to 7 days of 8 hour days. And both hands are free to work the glass, not the torch. My friends with carlisles and such usualy burn a tank a day to do the same work.

WizardandGlass
2007-03-12, 4:43pm
Oh, by the way. The movie is "Hero" with Jet Li and that was probably the only hot scene in it. I didn't pause it there, it just was when I took the picture.

e. mort
2007-03-12, 5:03pm
I really like your ventilation idea of putting the two pipes behind your head. It must offer some great cooling as well. My next studio will have the workbench in the center so I can have a TV accross from me as well. My friend remarked that it looks like something on "Dr. Who's" timeship. :)

jokersdesign
2007-03-12, 5:17pm
that looks crazy!

WizardandGlass
2007-03-12, 6:53pm
I really like your ventilation idea of putting the two pipes behind your head. It must offer some great cooling as well. My next studio will have the workbench in the center so I can have a TV accross from me as well. My friend remarked that it looks like something on "Dr. Who's" timeship. :)

The air which comes out is filtered and generaly cooler (closer to ground), it is the air I want to breathe while fuming and such. It does a great job of keeping you cool too. No sweating face and slipping glasses, and the zits oily sweaty faces produce. The splitter to move the air around my head is necessary, I tried a straight shot first and it seemed to suck the flame bypass upto my face before venting out.

Dale M.
2007-03-12, 8:45pm
The air which comes out is filtered and generaly cooler (closer to ground), it is the air I want to breathe while fuming and such. It does a great job of keeping you cool too. .

The only problem is your filtering is only removing particulate matter from air and creating a draft by your face.... I do not see any studio ventilation (air exchange) that actually removes the heavy metals and CO2 and NOX at the molecular level.... Only air exchange with outside air will give you proper ventilation. Even with your "air circulation" you are still breathing the very fumes you should be afraid of. They are actually being forced into your breathing zone by your system.

Dale

Mike H
2007-03-12, 9:37pm
Thats a Sweet setup! The Flame on your larger torch looks Perfect!
You should post some of your work, we'd like to see it!

WizardandGlass
2007-03-13, 6:57am
The only problem is your filtering is only removing particulate matter from air and creating a draft by your face.... I do not see any studio ventilation (air exchange) that actually removes the heavy metals and CO2 and NOX at the molecular level.... Only air exchange with outside air will give you proper ventilation. Even with your "air circulation" you are still breathing the very fumes you should be afraid of. They are actually being forced into your breathing zone by your system.

Dale

There are two blower motors pushing air out from the window in front and a garage door behind me which is open partialy and our stead coastal winds help to make everything happen. It gives quite a lot of fresh air, but I would like more control when it gets realy windy.

WizardandGlass
2007-03-13, 7:04am
Gringo orgulloso hablando espanol. Somos uno mundo.:waving:

Dale M.
2007-03-13, 8:05am
There are two blower motors pushing air out from the window in front and a garage door behind me which is open partialy and our stead coastal winds help to make everything happen. It gives quite a lot of fresh air, but I would like more control when it gets realy windy.

Good!

Dale

Ofilia
2007-03-13, 9:57am
Gringo orgulloso hablando espanol. Somos uno mundo.:waving:

Oye, chico! Eso es un funky lookin' estudio!! ;-)

What kind of torch is that with the wide bell shape? I've never seen one like that!

Ofilia

WizardandGlass
2007-03-13, 7:06pm
It's a brass 16 hole hush tip with a custom hood (or bell). The bell reflects a lot of heat back up. There's a noticeable difference without it. It is made from the top of a small brass flower vase. I cut just the portion of the flair I wanted and then tapped holes for 3 set screws at the neck.:geek:

Ofilia
2007-03-14, 11:05am
It's a brass 16 hole hush tip with a custom hood (or bell). The bell reflects a lot of heat back up. There's a noticeable difference without it. It is made from the top of a small brass flower vase. I cut just the portion of the flair I wanted and then tapped holes for 3 set screws at the neck.:geek:

Que ingenio! How did you come up with that idea? I've never seen a tip with a flaired end like that. Good on ya, for improvising. A good sign of a genius:idea: ! Best wishes.

Ofilia