Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Round beads with dots...Help

cakey
2007-03-26, 2:45pm
When you make a round bead with dot decoration, like lets say 4 large round dots around the bead and you want to melt them in flat and maybe add some more color dots on top of those. Is it really supose to take a really really really long time to get that bead round again? it has actually taken so long that I almost always give up. or if I happen to use white as one of the colors the white starts to look like it is desolving and has no crisp edges anymore so I give up again.
Is there somthing I am not doing right?
I'm on a minor if that makes a difference.
Thank for any help you can give!
Cyndi

Curly Irish Girl
2007-03-26, 2:58pm
When I melt dots, I work at not getting the base bead soupy....I don't want it to change shape....use a narrow flame and work further out....also, any time you use white it's a bit of a challenge as it gets soupy fast and that can be a problem if you use it as the base dot.....like all else, it's the P word....Practice, Practice, Practice Hang In There!

When you make a round bead with dot decoration, like lets say 4 large round dots around the bead and you want to melt them in flat and maybe add some more color dots on top of those. Is it really supose to take a really really really long time to get that bead round again? it has actually taken so long that I almost always give up. or if I happen to use white as one of the colors the white starts to look like it is desolving and has no crisp edges anymore so I give up again.
Is there somthing I am not doing right?
I'm on a minor if that makes a difference.
Thank for any help you can give!
Cyndi

Carolyn M
2007-03-26, 8:45pm
If you are adding really large dots, yes it will take time to get it round again, and white may start to 'bleed'. For large dots you don't really need to add a huge amount. As Lynn said, keep practising!

Starrr
2007-03-26, 9:09pm
Try making smaller, volume wise, size dots and flatten them a bit. It will make them bigger without using so much glass. You also might want to watch where your flame hits the bead, just let it hit the tops of the dots. You don't want to get the base bead too hot or you'll be re-rounding all day, it also speeds things up if you turn your mandrel away for a few spins and then toward you for a few spins.

cakey
2007-03-27, 4:37pm
Thanks you guys!! Can't wait to try your suggestions!
Cyndi