Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Round Petal Cane????

OnCloud9
2007-04-07, 4:28pm
Hi there
Does anyone know how to make round petal cane? I beleive this is what is used in the japanese style of murrini for beads.
thanks Carol

Anne Ricketts
2007-04-07, 5:30pm
Would it be like a bullseye cane? Just use a core color with clear and transparent and clear. I don't know for sure so I'm just guessing!

OnCloud9
2007-04-07, 6:13pm
Thanks Anne. I not sure if it;s bulleye or not.

Petal cane, I think it is the style of cane used to create the lily murrini for akhiro's beads on his stone lily bead. I think you make a stamen cane and then you add 5 or 6 pieces of petal cane around the stamen cane. I am just not sure of what Petal Cane looks like??

Carol

Anne Ricketts
2007-04-07, 7:15pm
I wasn't talking about bullseye glass, sorry I wasn't clear there! LOL! I was talking about making a bullseye cane where you just encase a rod in layers making it look like a bullseye. :grin:

paintingwithglass
2007-04-07, 8:48pm
I recall it being in the Japanese new book...Tonbo-Dama...they create complex multicolored murrinis for the petals...petal cane is a large murrini in the shape of the flower's petals.

Here is a link to their book:
http://heritageglass.com/index2.htm

OnCloud9
2007-04-08, 8:31am
Hi Anne
Now I am laughing . . .I'm such a nerd. You know a bulleye cane might work. I think i'll try that and see what happens.
Carol

airglass
2007-04-10, 6:02pm
I've been racking my brain on this one too. I'm probably wrong but I don't think it is a single petal cane construction. I think it is a whole flower cane using clear as the center and building up your petals on the clear. The reason I say this is because the petal of the lily is striped and the elongated shape and rounded edges. You think the murrini is cut at an angle and inserted in order to get the depth and rounded petal edge?
I have both books and can't for the life of me figure this one out.
Susan

paintingwithglass
2007-04-10, 6:10pm
Susan--if you have the Tonbo-Dama book go to page 69 and it would be similar to the Cherry blossom mosaic murrini. You would make a complex murrini...in multiple steps...instead of the colors and shading of the Cherry Blossom you would use the colors of the lily. Make the petal murrini canes first then assemble as shown in the book. (if you want a stamen cane you could put it in the center and assemble the petals around it) :-)

paintingwithglass
2007-04-10, 6:14pm
I am not familiar with akhiro's stone lily bead....

however, Satake murrine will look totally different in a bead then Effetre/Vetrofond murrine. If you really are after a similar look then you might want to consider creating your mosaic murrine in Satake.

chrissij
2007-04-10, 6:57pm
Jo from Dogmaw posted a how to somewhere on this site, I was still somewhat lost, but you might just wanna' pm her for the instructions.

fcfmountain
2007-04-14, 6:00pm
Thanks for enlightening me about Tonbo-Dama,I just ordered it. I got the Intro to Japanese Beadmaking,Akihira Ohkama but was disappointed with the coverage on flower making. I suspected it was all about complex muranni making but haven't been able to put it together in my mind. Maybe this book will spill enough information to get me soaring in the direction I want. Thanks Gals,TIM

A_Glass_Bash
2007-04-18, 11:03am
if you get it figured out please post it :)

it sounds pretty cool to me...

ltsexpressions
2007-04-20, 8:52pm
I can't wait to see what this thread brings! I have the Japanese book and I'm still frustrated trying to get the floral murrini made and to work "correctly"...