Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Anyone going to BeadFest?

Cosmo
2007-04-09, 7:08am
I just got my confirmation that I'm teaching 4 classes at BeadFest this August. 2 glass and 2 wire. Just wanted to see if anyone else was planning on going...

Scarlett
2007-04-09, 9:22am
I plan on attending. What type of glass classes are you teaching?

Cosmo
2007-04-09, 9:45am
I'm teaching a pendant class and a beginning borosilicate beadmaking class. The beadmaking class is something new for me. I'm planning on focusing on developing color, the properties of different types of colors, encasing clear, etc.

The pendant class will be similar to what I taught last year. Implosions pendants, flowers, drops, vortexes, opals, etc.

Emily
2007-04-09, 9:49am
Which one? Looks like there's one in Atlanta and one in the Philadelphia area (King of Prussia/Valley Forge). I'll be at the Philadelphia one at some point, I'm sure, as usual just roaming around randomly taking up space in people's booths when they're trying to sell stuff.

Cosmo
2007-04-09, 10:23am
The Philadelphia one. That's the only one that they teach any glass classes at.

scouncil
2007-04-11, 4:28am
Sniff! I was hoping that Atlanta was becoming big Time!!! I'll be going to Atlanta since I can drive. It's new and will eventually be good, but it's slow....

Frostfire
2007-04-12, 7:17am
I'll be at the one in Atlanta, because I'm probably going to be working for Jane Overman (Jane's Fibers & Beads) there. She's got the opportunity to go to Africa in August and will be back right after the Atlanta show ends, so she and I had a little chat about it.

Janell
2007-04-16, 5:28pm
I will be there in Phili booth 1318. I will have lots of lampwork supplies and of course our handmade beads.
Stop by and say Hi.
Janelson Lampwork
www.centralbead.net

Cosmo
2007-04-17, 6:20am
I'm hoping that we'll be able to get a booth up there. They still have a few available. Last year nobody had any borosilicate glass there. Not Arrow Springs, not ABR, nobody. I took about 30 pounds with me to sell in class, and I sold every bit of it.

I'm going to take a bunch of extra glass anyways even if we don't get a booth. So if any of you need some glass while you're there, come find me!

donaldduck
2007-04-19, 1:07pm
I had planned to go, but they moved it from October to a weekend in August where I'll be at a wedding. So no Beadfest for me.

Cosmo
2007-04-20, 6:32am
I had planned to go, but they moved it from October to a weekend in August where I'll be at a wedding. So no Beadfest for me.

Yeah. It threw a wrench into things for me as well. I had to juggle a few things to do it, but it's a pretty good payday for me to go, so I had to make it work...

Jeri
2007-04-20, 9:28am
I'll be there vending, I share a booth with Hye on Beads. Sadly, Arrow Springs won't be there, I think it's a time crunch coming so soon after the Gathering (although I'm still nagging them to change their mind). Jeri
www.jeribeads.com

Cosmo
2007-04-20, 11:24am
Hmm.... I guess I'm going to bring a lot of glass to sell then.

Janell
2007-04-25, 5:11pm
I will have Moretti,Vetrofond and CIM by the rod or or 1/4 , 1/2 or 1lb however you want to purchase. I do this for a living and have a booth which I paid quite a bit for. Doesnt seem fair for us who paid for a booth, for you to be able to sell to anyone. Heck why didnt I just set up in the parking lot......My BOOTH NUMBER is1318 I will also have tools and frit.
Janelson Lampwork
www.centralbead.net

beadsoncypress
2007-04-26, 3:50am
Is the Beadfest - Philadelphia out in Reading where it was last year or did they change to another location closer to Philadelphia? Last year at Reading it was very poorly attended, but the classes they didn't cancel were great!

Cosmo
2007-04-26, 10:10am
It's in Valley Forge this year.

http://www.stepbystepbeads.com/beadfest/philadelphia.cfm

I know everyone complained about last year's location, but I liked it, aside from the lack of ventilation in the lampworking classrooms...

Cosmo
2007-05-23, 7:53am
The classes up now:

http://www.beadfest.com/beadfest/classes/index.cfm

There are a lot of glass classes there this year. I submitted an advanced level class, but they didn't accept it. Hopefully with as many glass classes as they have this year, next year they will take some advanced ones.

playswithfire104
2007-05-23, 4:05pm
I'll be going. It's what I live for!

AlivELampworK
2007-05-27, 7:47pm
will be there too! :)

Cosmo
2007-05-29, 6:35am
What classes are everyone taking? I'm probably going to take John Winter's class. I haven't done much soft glass in the past couple of years, but the type of soft glass work I like is the type he teaches. There are a couple others I want to take, but they are on days that I'm teaching.

LAJ
2007-06-21, 8:21am
I'll be there. We have a wedding in Philly that weekend. I decided to go up a day early & an taking a boro class on Friday. Is that the one you're teaching? I hope so. If not, can you give links to your classes?

ziggys
2007-06-21, 10:32pm
Sniff! I was hoping that Atlanta was becoming big Time!!! I'll be going to Atlanta since I can drive. It's new and will eventually be good, but it's slow....

Atlanta is doable for me too. Can you tell me more about what that one is like? I did read the Link to the Atlanta one, but they didn't
show any classes yet.
Can I learn jewelry making? I mean I love glass but I've been wanting to learn to use my beads and I just can't get my mind around how to do it!

Thanks for any info.
Angela
PS: I wish they would have the Philly one right in Philly! It's such a great city! I wonder if I could justify going there again. I used to live there years ago. I don't remember where Reading is....

beadsoncypress
2007-06-22, 3:22am
Me too.....but, Reading was a disaster last year, so they moved it to King of Prussia (about 1/2 hour outside of Philly)...Anyone taking John Winter's classes?

Cosmo
2007-06-22, 11:23am
I'm taking John's Friday class.

I personally thought Reading was fine, aside from the lampworking classrooms. Word is they are working on a location in Philly for next year. The place in Ft. Washington closed, so they had to find a new place and from what I hear things are booked so far in advance that they had to find whatever they could find for last year and this year.

beadstillmyheart
2007-06-22, 3:16pm
I'll be there. I'm not taking any classes, but I'll definitely be around. :D

kentaymom
2007-06-23, 7:03am
I'm thinking about gong to philly. My 2 girls l-o-v-e the mall in KOP. I could leave them at the mall and sneak over to the beadfest! If only i could find something hubby would be interested in we could make a weekend of it!

Craftylady
2007-06-25, 10:43am
when and where is the Atlanta beadfeast? have i missed it? i sure hope not.

Cosmo
2007-06-25, 10:48am
August 10-12

http://www.beadfest.com/beadfest/atlanta.cfm

Craftylady
2007-06-25, 10:52am
August 10-12

http://www.beadfest.com/beadfest/atlanta.cfm

Thank you so much.

Emily
2007-06-25, 11:22am
From what I hear, one issue with having BeadFest in Philadelphia itself is that the Convention Center wouldn't let them have open flames, so no flameworking classes or metalworking classes that required torches. I've also heard, although not specifically in connection with Beadfest, that shows don't like using the Convention Center because you're required to use union labor for tasks you'd normally do yourself, so it makes events much more expensive. I don't know how true that is, but it did seem like a lot of events that used to be held in the city moved out into the outlying counties (like to the Fort Washington Expo Center where BeadFest used to be) when the Convention Center in Philadelphia was built.

CCraig
2007-06-27, 6:58am
Moving again? Hmmm I was specifically told by Karen just 2 weeks ago that the location and date are now set in stone. They are also cutting down on the total number of shows they are promoting and trying to do a better job of getting customers into the shows they will be promoting.

Personally I am giving them one more year to see what happens. My customer base at the Philly show before the move to Reading had grown 500% from the first year, when the show was moved to Reading my sales dropped down to below the first year sales. It was pathetic.

August in my opinion is also a mistake. Many of my personal customers travel to the larger bead shows and are still paying off their Bead and Button purchases. In October they are done paying and thinking of the holiday season and ready to shop.

Another thing..... how many people have looked at the show map? We are in a huge convention center with 2 floors however look at how many empty booths are on that second floor at this time 75%! Yikes! That also doesnt make for a successful show. I am not opposed to competition, its healthy I am opposed to a show that looks like it cant fill their space. If you cant fill both floors, cut it down to one floor that is full. I am so glad I did not decide to try out that second floor for my booth selection. I am lucky in the fact that I was one of the first to get to choose my location.

Good luck to everyone! Stop by and say hello if you have time.

debezog
2007-06-27, 5:52pm
Will be there. Hope to be taking a class with John Winter. August is a great time for me.

playswithfire104
2007-06-27, 7:20pm
Cindy I always liked Oct better too. I'm just grateful that a big show is within driving distance!

scouncil
2007-07-02, 5:05am
It looks like the Atlanta show is a big flop. They've had a lot of teachers cancel and the only 2 classes that I signed up for (kem-boo and a copper enamelling type class "Show me the color") have BOTH been cancelled. Atlanta is driving distance for me and it looks like it's going to fail over all which I can't understand since Atlanta is a BIG place. I'm so mad that I didn't go to Bead and Button (DH said it would be too expensive). Philidelphia is a bit far to dive for me..... :-(

Cosmo
2007-07-02, 5:26am
That's the big complaint I have with Primedia (the people who put on BeadFest). They don't seem to promote their shows as well as other shows. It takes forever for them to get the classes online. And, when they do, the Philadelphia show is the only one they really seem to care about. Now, I'm not knocking them because I know I don't have the slightest idea what goes into putting on a show like this, but it does seem that if they want the other shows to be successful, they would put more energy into them. I signed up to teach at both Atlanta and Nashville in the past, and didn't have any more than two or three total people sign up for classes. And most classes that actually stayed open only had four or five people sign up. Teachers get access to a special page that allows us to see how many actual sign-ups there are (as opposed to what you see - "Seats Remaining: Yes"). Very few of the classes got the minimum of 5 sign-ups needed to keep the class open.

Craftylady
2007-07-02, 7:29am
This is kinda sad. I was planning to go to Atlanta.

scouncil
2007-07-02, 9:42am
There are still some classes available in Atlanta, but not many. I know that the teachers can't really afford to not make any money (why come?). The beadfest people said that the sales floor will still be open and should have as many vendors as last year (which was MUCH better than the usual bead show in Atlanta) and they do wholesale if you have the paperwork.

I'm thinking about going to Phili for that show. They still have quite a few classes open and have several that I wanted to go to that were at B&B. I've found airfare (from Chattanooga- unbelievable) for $191 round trip. Hotel shuttle from airport is $40. Very nice shopping mall nearby....

I need to talk to DH (make sure nothing else is planned) and I might just be there. The hotel rooms are $104 (plus taxes, I'm sure). Anybody want a room mate? Splitting the room would be great!! Might ask good old Mom (she loves to go places and shop), but I'd feel bad taking classes ALL DAY and in the evening......

beadstillmyheart
2007-07-04, 4:35pm
I'm thinking about gong to philly. My 2 girls l-o-v-e the mall in KOP. I could leave them at the mall and sneak over to the beadfest! If only i could find something hubby would be interested in we could make a weekend of it!

Does your hubby play pool? Mine does and I THINK there is a pool tournament in Valley Forge that weekend. If nothing else, we could send them off to a Sports Bar and Grill kinda place.

That's the big complaint I have with Primedia (the people who put on BeadFest). They don't seem to promote their shows as well as other shows. It takes forever for them to get the classes online. And, when they do, the Philadelphia show is the only one they really seem to care about. Now, I'm not knocking them because I know I don't have the slightest idea what goes into putting on a show like this, but it does seem that if they want the other shows to be successful, they would put more energy into them. I signed up to teach at both Atlanta and Nashville in the past, and didn't have any more than two or three total people sign up for classes. And most classes that actually stayed open only had four or five people sign up. Teachers get access to a special page that allows us to see how many actual sign-ups there are (as opposed to what you see - "Seats Remaining: Yes"). Very few of the classes got the minimum of 5 sign-ups needed to keep the class open.

I think their classes are very expensive. That's just my penny pinching opinion. I bet they'd get a lot more people signed up if they dropped the cost but increased class size. If nothing else, they could offer a "sign up with a buddy" discount. Yes, they'd have to change the registration form, but so what....you get 2 students at a time that way.

Cosmo
2007-07-05, 5:50am
Does your hubby play pool? Mine does and I THINK there is a pool tournament in Valley Forge that weekend. If nothing else, we could send them off to a Sports Bar and Grill kinda place.

I wish you hadn't told me that. I have played since I was 12. I played four years professionally. Played in the US Open twice, the LA open once, and just about made it into the Challenge of Champions. Of course, I haven't played for a couple years, but seeing as there is possibly a tournament in town, I may have to try to make it over there. I'm sure Amanda will love me for telling her that...

:D

I think their classes are very expensive. That's just my penny pinching opinion. I bet they'd get a lot more people signed up if they dropped the cost but increased class size. If nothing else, they could offer a "sign up with a buddy" discount. Yes, they'd have to change the registration form, but so what....you get 2 students at a time that way.

I agree, considering what we get paid for the classes. But, again, I don't know what it costs to put on a show like that, so I'm not sure how much is profit and how much just covers the cost of putting it on.

scouncil
2007-07-06, 4:37am
I don't think their classes are any more expensive than Bead and Button. They might be slightly cheaper than B&B. I think they are expensive too, but the teachers do have to pay for the hotel, food, planefare, etc.

How bad is if for the teachers? Do they get half of what the class costs? I think Atlanta will be off next year. I'm not even going to Atlanta this year (sad, because I can drive there) for classes. Might go down for the expo floor. It was really nice last year, but Phili is a couple of weeks later.....

Cosmo
2007-07-06, 5:33am
We get $25 per student for 3 hour classes, and $50 per student for 7 hour classes. We do get the kit fees as well, but for mine that is just going to cover the amount of materials I'm taking. So I hope that I'll break even for the weekend.

But, I love doing it, and last year we got some business from people who had taken a class from me, so I'm hoping that will happen again this year. For me though, it's more about getting my name out there than getting rich.

Patti W
2007-07-06, 5:42pm
I think vendors should do well in Valley Forge since jewelry designers are used to coming to that location for the Intergem shows which are there twice a year. I think there is an Intergem show in November at that location which would explain why Bead Fest can't be in October. Intergem has been going there for many years. The floor space is not that big, nowhere near as big as B & B.
Patti

debkauz
2007-07-06, 8:01pm
When I was looking at the classes, I saw one that used a pendant that to me looked like a blatent rip off of someone else's work. When I wrote to them to ask about it, I was basically told to mind my own business. Nope. I'm not going. Never will.

Cosmo
2007-07-07, 12:24pm
When I was looking at the classes, I saw one that used a pendant that to me looked like a blatent rip off of someone else's work. When I wrote to them to ask about it, I was basically told to mind my own business. Nope. I'm not going. Never will.

I wouldn't let one person turn you off. We have been going to BeadFest for the past three years, and wouldn't miss it.

It wasn't one of the pendants from my class was it?

scouncil
2007-07-07, 6:42pm
Cosmo, what classes are you teaching? I'll be there.... I can't wait. It's a Mini-vacation for me!! I really need to get away from DH for just a bit. I love him, but need some time now and then.... And, er, which pendant was it? Just curious...

kentaymom
2007-07-08, 5:57pm
Hey, Kendra - I just might be able to talk him in to that!

stacievan
2007-07-08, 8:48pm
I am going to beadfest in Philly! I think I am taking the class with you on Sunday (boro pendants). I haven't signed up yet, but I plan on it tomorrw. I also want to take 2 other classes.

I have to fly from Canada and it is going to be expensive for the hotel. I was hoping to find someone to room with to save costs. I figure it will cost me almost $2000 by the time my 4 days is over! I am sure my husband will Kill me, but this is my weekend.

Is there anybody out there that has a room to rent in the area for a cheaper rate or who wants to share a room at the hotel.

Stacie:waving:

Cosmo
2007-07-09, 6:59am
These are the classes I'm teaching.

http://www.lapidaryjournal.com/beadfest/classes/index.cfm?action=instructor&instructorurl=trent

scouncil
2007-07-09, 7:29am
I tried for a room with a two beds just for that reason, but there weren't any at the Scanticon in non-smoking. I need the fridge for some medication that has to be fridged. I've only got one bed and it's only a queen. I'd kick you to death!! If you can't find a roomie closer to the fest, let me know and I can call and see if they have rollaways for rent. I'm sure you would rather have a bed!! I've got some medical issues and you might not want to room with me....

Chad, do you know if there's a site for room mates for the Phili show (other than this)? I thought there was one for B&B, so maybe there are for this one?

Cosmo
2007-07-09, 8:18am
I haven't heard of anything like that. But there are so many different types of classes and different message boards out there that there may well be one and I don't know about it. I have really cut back the message boards I visit in the past year.

scouncil
2007-07-11, 5:06am
Well, if anyone gets bored, give me a call sometime. I'll be in the Scanticon when I'm not in classes. PM me if you want my cell to find me (though I'll turn it off when I'm in class- figure that's pretty rude to get a call in class....).
Susan

stacievan
2007-07-27, 2:13pm
Cosmo,
I am so disappointed. I was at my in laws house which had no internet and I had no access to it anywhere, because they are so far away from anyplace that has the internet. When I finally got on-line, the pendant class I wanted to take was filled up. I felt like crying - actually I think I did.

I am the first person on the cancellation list, but I doubt that someone will cancel now, since there is a 0% refund now. I hate when people don't have internet. :(

Cosmo
2007-07-29, 12:07pm
We had two cancellations last year, so who knows? Unforseen things always come up.

stacievan
2007-07-30, 2:17pm
I will make sure that I check each day when I get there. I am there starting Thursday night until Monday. I've saved that spot, so hopefully I can get in.
Stacie

AlivELampworK
2007-08-03, 6:53am
i have my own table and i'm excited to see everyone! :)

beadsoncypress
2007-08-04, 4:12am
So who will be helping Catt?? Where have you been?

Tink
2007-08-04, 5:22am
So you get $25 of the $165 fee for a 7 hour class? That amazes me. Are they paying for your transportation, lodging, giving you a free both? I often teach for a LOT less than that, even, but only when it's a bona fide non-profit that I happen to really believe in. And even then, I have to seriously limit the number of those I do in a year just because I can't afford it.

Cosmo
2007-08-08, 5:33am
So you get $25 of the $165 fee for a 7 hour class? That amazes me. Are they paying for your transportation, lodging, giving you a free both? I often teach for a LOT less than that, even, but only when it's a bona fide non-profit that I happen to really believe in. And even then, I have to seriously limit the number of those I do in a year just because I can't afford it.

No. We don't get anything free (except admission to the show). Actually, it's $25 for a three hour class, and $50 for a 7 hour class. For the whole show, after I purchased close to $800 worth of jump rings and clasps, and $500 worth of glass, I'll be lucky to break even. We pay for our transportation, hotels, etc. But, it's so hard to get any teaching jobs that I take whatever I can get. I have even offered to teach for free at some places that posted on this board asking for teachers and haven't been accepted there either. It seems that there are only a handful of teachers that can get a decent rate for their services. Since I'm not one of those fortunate ones, I take whatever I can get.

Tink
2007-08-08, 7:12am
Seems like you should at least get free selling space. I guess I'll be passing on this one.

Cosmo
2007-08-08, 7:41am
Yeah, but I'll be teaching classes all day so I wouldn't be there to sell anything anyways.

But, I'm pretty desperate for teaching jobs, so I'll take whatever I can find. A little money and exposure is better than none...

Emily
2007-08-08, 10:18am
Beadfest 2007: Cosmo exposes himself. . . :grin:

Cosmo
2007-08-08, 12:30pm
I don't need an excuse to do that...

scouncil
2007-08-14, 11:37am
I'm surprised that you get paid so little for teaching the class. I guess that they have to rent the facility/provide space. Are you having to take all the torches? I know any of the lampworking classes are expensive, so I haven't gone to any (though I would like to learn boro). Don't you live in/near Phili? You need to post on all the beading boards (I know several and I'm sure many of us know others) and hold a Pre-conference course of one or two days in your studio or a close by place (don't you teach locally?). You might get more interest from out of towners that would be willing to come to you rather than take your course at the event? I don't mind paying more for a smaller class rather than a big workshop thing at Bead Fest. Aren't there about 20 people in your class?

One of the teachers in Atlanta last year said that she needed about 22 students to make the trip worthwhile. I had no idea that the got paid so poorly. Oh well.

Susan

Cosmo
2007-08-14, 1:12pm
I don't have to take torches. They provide us with one kiln (a Chili Pepper I think) so I have to take a second kiln. I also have to provide all the glass, tools, etc. for the class. I just ordered over $1000 worth of glass and tools for the two classes I'm teaching. I put in the class description that I want everyone to bring their own glasses, but inevitably people show up without them, or with the wrong kind, so I'm probably going to have to purchase two or three pairs of borosilicate glasses before I go. That's another $400 or so.

I live in Roanoke, VA, which is a 6 hour drive to Philadelphia. Figuring in the price of gas and the hotel, we're putting out close to $900 before any food or anything.

As it stands, I'll be lucky to break even. But, I'm desperate for teaching jobs, so I take whatever I can find. Some teachers are in such high demand that they can pick and choose the venues they teach at, and get paid well for it. I can't do that. I basically have to work for free most places just to get them to let me teach there. I really want to make a career in glass, but there are very few opportunities for people who aren't already well established as teachers. Several studios have opened recently around the country and I've talked to most of them about teaching there, and pretty much offered to teach for free just to get name recognition. I've been turned down by all of them so far in favor of big name teachers who probably get a LOT more money for classes than I do.

I'm more than willing to go anywhere in the country or world to teach. I don't need a lot of money to do it either. Just enough that I don't lose money. Maybe that's the wrong way to do it, but I'd rather ask for less money and get the jobs than ask for a lot and sit at home doing nothing.

scouncil
2007-08-14, 7:02pm
so, are you demoing at Hot Times in the Mountains? I think that we all will have minor torches there, so it would be tough to do boro there, but I wouldn't mind seeing. Oh! Just checked your website and you ARE!!! I think you are doing the first weekend and I'll be there the second? I'll have to check my dates. Darn!!

Cosmo
2007-08-15, 6:48am
There will be several bigger torches at Hot Time as well. I know Gary has a couple CC's there (one of which I'll be demonstrating on). And, it's not tough to do borosilicate on Minors. We teach all our classes on Minors. I can make a 1" marble on a Minor without much effort.

AlivELampworK
2007-08-19, 7:13am
is everyone ready??

stacievan
2007-08-19, 9:23pm
I am so excited that I keep making lists of what I need to take, clothes I'll need, things I'd like to buy. Yeah!!! I never get to go anywhere.

Cosmo
2007-08-20, 6:03am
I hope I'm ready. I'm sitting here looking at $1000 worth of glass and about $800 worth of jump rings...

stacievan
2007-08-20, 12:56pm
Cosmo,
Have there been any cancellations for your boro pendant class yet? I am first on the waiting list so I am hoping that I can get in. I will make sure that I check when I get there.
Thanks

Cosmo
2007-08-20, 1:04pm
I don't know. They don't let me know that. I don't even know the names of the people signed up until I get there...

AlivELampworK
2007-08-27, 6:22am
i had a lot of fun at beadfest, and it was awesome to see everyone! i hope everyone had a good time.

playswithfire104
2007-08-27, 7:07am
I was disappointed. This was my 4th Beadfest. I didn't care for the venue. :doubt: I didn't like the fact that it was on two floors. I think the isles were too narrow. If people were looking at the booths on both sides and someone stopped you could not get by. #-o Since they used two floors they could have made the booths a little further apart.

I know they are having issues finding an ideal location so I won't judge too harshly. The place they used to have it at was torn down. I was happy with the place they had it at last year but I heard many complaints about it. I really liked it in Oct. I had more money then. :-D I think since the date changed many venders that usually are there were not there this year.

I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you found everything you were looking for! Even though I was a little disappointed I still spent way too much money! :lol:

Cosmo
2007-08-27, 7:41am
I didn't get to see any of the vendors. We were down at the entrance when they opened on Friday. I had to pick up some things from Ross at ABR, so I went there first. I picked up the stuff, and walked three more booths down and ran into Chris from Carlisle who wanted me to get on the demo torch. So, I went and made a marble, and then had to leave, get some lunch, and teach my first class. I taught a 9-4 class and a 5-8 class Saturday, and a 9-4 class Sunday. So I was pretty much in classes all day long.

I wish I had more spare time to meet more people. I can't comment on other things, but I will say there were some issues with the lampworking classes. I won't go into them here, but I will say that some were BeadFest's fault, and some were out of their control. I'm going to e-mail the BeadFest people and make some suggestions as to how to address these issues.

I will say this, however.... The BeadFest people listen to the people that come to their shows. If you have suggestions, let them know.

I did have a good time there, however. I think my classes went well. I hope my students had a good time and learned a lot.

Jeri
2007-08-27, 8:59am
I was a happy vendor at BeadFest this year. This venue is not half bad, and the crowds were healthy (I was upstairs). There are always minor discomforts, but no big deal.

Since I shared a table with Schermo within a bigger booth that belongs to Hye on Beads we had a lovely busy social selling time!! It was nice to see other beadmakers like Patti Cahill, Karen Bye and Bronwen Heilman. Cindy Craig was across the aisle from us, and we waved at her and her son all day long. I got to meet Ali's mom (and she is beautiful, like Ali).

I think there will be growing pains due to the new date and the new venue - in my case, I'm geared up to make new work in time for the usual October date, it was a challenge to be ready in August, but as this becomes routine, it will work. I heard great things about this year's classes from students running around on lunch breaks, and one of the improvements this year was a shift in show hours so that students had a little more shopping time (never enough, right?).

I don't think that the NY Bead Society came in a bus, as they had in year's past, and I missed seeing some of the NY beaders I think of as regulars. All in all, this was SO much better than the temporary venue in Reading, I'm willing to stick with it and try again next year. As Cosmo said, it is a big overhead just to get to the show and stay there, and that is a struggle everywhere.

It was great meeting and re-meeting so many beader friends. The BeadFest folks always want to improve their shows, I wouldn't hesitate to reach out to them with comments and criticisms. Jeri

AlivELampworK
2007-08-27, 7:38pm
I'm glad you enjoyed it and hope you found everything you were looking for! Even though I was a little disappointed I still spent way too much money! :lol:

i not only found things i was looking for, but i sold a lot of beads.

Since I shared a table with Schermo within a bigger booth that belongs to Hye on Beads we had a lovely busy social selling time!! It was nice to see other beadmakers like Patti Cahill, Karen Bye and Bronwen Heilman. Cindy Craig was across the aisle from us, and we waved at her and her son all day long. I got to meet Ali's mom (and she is beautiful, like Ali).

aww jeri. :love: it was awesome to see you, hope i can see you soon!

i second the "suggest things to beadfest staff" because they are all very helpful and will listen.

stacievan
2007-08-27, 8:41pm
I had an awesome time despite the airport losing my luggage for the first 2 days I was there. SCouncil and I roomed together which made things a lot easier on the pocket book. I think I will definately attend next year. I met a lot of new people and next year I will set up some meeting with fellow LE'ers. I took 2 lampwork classes that were great, especially with John Winter- what a great guy!

I am just unpacking and realize how much stuff I managed to buy - I guess I better get busy.

Stacie

AlivELampworK
2007-08-28, 9:53am
just wanted to share the few pictures i took!!

my mom and my neighbor natalie. she makes beautiful clay pendants!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/alivelampwork/IMG_3429.jpg

john winter and i.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/alivelampwork/IMG_3431.jpg

scouncil
2007-08-28, 10:05am
I had a fabulous time, though I didn't do any of the lampwork classes. I had a great time though my luggage (and a lot of my purchases) are floating around in the airline system somewhere. I do hope that they return to me unharmed!! I carried my Thunderbird silver and some of the really nice seed bead kits in my backpack. Next time I'm taking a carryon suitcase (with wheels), my backpack and the checked in bag and carry ALL my purchases home in the carry on bags....

Cosmo
2007-08-28, 10:21am
just wanted to share the few pictures i took!!

my mom and my neighbor natalie. she makes beautiful clay pendants!

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/alivelampwork/IMG_3429.jpg

john winter and i.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y242/alivelampwork/IMG_3431.jpg

Were you in one of my classes? You look very familiar.

My memory is pretty bad these days, though....

AlivELampworK
2007-08-29, 5:22am
hey chad! i think i saw you on friday talking to chris from carlisle.. my booth was directly across from him. i would have loved to take a class..maybe next year!

Cosmo
2007-08-29, 5:45am
hey chad! i think i saw you on friday talking to chris from carlisle.. my booth was directly across from him. i would have loved to take a class..maybe next year!

Gotcha. I knew I had seen you around there somewhere...