Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Floral Implosion Bottle Stopper Video

NightCat
2007-04-11, 11:50am
I posted a new video last night. I made a wine bottle stopper for my Dad and decided to video the process for him also. I am not an expert on implosions or anything else, so I wouldn't consider this an instructional or "tutorial" video, it is just a video of me in my shop doin' my thing the best I can. It is right at 31 minutes long so be warned, it is a monster file.

"hotglass" on youtube - Floral Implosion Bottle Stopper Video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsmpIWiXlVo)

If you do manage to get through the whole thing. Please, Please... rate the video and/or leave a message under the video on youtube. Feedback, good or bad really does help. (Registration on youtube is free.) In two days this thread will be forgotten but if you comment on youtube under the video it stays with the video forever (unless I delete it).

Thanks and sorry about the self-promotion.
~R

e. mort
2007-04-11, 1:12pm
Nice Video. Is there anyway to download it so I can watch it later? My connection can be a little slow sometimes....

NightCat
2007-04-11, 2:06pm
Nice Video. Is there anyway to download it so I can watch it later? My connection can be a little slow sometimes....
Not at the moment.

I do have a video podcast set-up. I haven't been keeping up with it because youtube is so easy. The only way to get a copy would be to subscribe to my feed through iTunes and it would be automatically downloaded to your computer, which isn't any faster but at least you would only have to do it once. I played around with this idea for several months. No one seemed interested and it cost me money so I have sort of abandoned it.

For now you will just have to be patient.

~R

Wonker
2007-04-11, 3:22pm
Thanks for posting the link to that NightCat. You did a really nice job with that. Apparently you can eyeball that distance between the bottom of the implosion and the length of the post.

NightCat
2007-04-11, 3:34pm
Thanks for posting the link to that NightCat. You did a really nice job with that. Apparently you can eyeball that distance between the bottom of the implosion and the length of the post.Yeah, I've done enough of them that I can eye-ball it. I do have a few pencil marks on my torch mounted marver but I don't seem to need them as much as when I started.

Wonker
2007-04-11, 4:33pm
Well, I can't tell you how much more I like your version of a wine stopper than the metal ones with the black rubber rings. Thanks again.....pencil marks on graphite? hmmmmm.... isn't that redundant?

Ratboy
2007-04-11, 5:30pm

The first time you watch the video
just let the download run all the way thru.
there will be a file saved in your Internet Explorer temp file directory
think the filename will be *.flv

this is the video file
then you need a *.flv file viewer
many available freeware on the net
and you can review it over and over w/out downloading again.

Can prob convert *.flv to *.avi to burn to a disc
but i think quality will suffer.

NightCat
2007-04-11, 5:57pm
The first time you watch the video
just let the download run all the way thru.
there will be a file saved in your Internet Explorer temp file directory
think the filename will be *.flv

this is the video file
then you need a *.flv file viewer
many available freeware on the net
and you can review it over and over w/out downloading again.

Can prob convert *.flv to *.avi to burn to a disc
but i think quality will suffer.I had no idea. Very cool! I'll have to try that.

Renee
2007-04-11, 10:41pm
Ross, I haven't yet, but will watch your video (it's a bit late right not), and I'll rate it, too! I also want to thank you for taking the time and effort to do these videos. I think they're great, and so are you for doing them!

Bunyip
2007-04-12, 4:05am

Ratboy's method works, There are also a few other workarounds which allow you to download youtube videos. When I get home I may be able to provide a link.

sleekbeads
2007-04-12, 7:58am
Awesome! Thanks for sharing. When I can watch all of them, I will rate them also.

Jo

NightCat
2007-04-16, 8:49am
Well, at least a couple of people thought it was cool.... Thank-you.

I'm not sure what I expected. I was hoping my comment "forgotten in two days" would be figurative, not literal. Maybe I posted this in the wrong sub-forum?

I guess I will just have to try harder on the next one. Maybe something with dichroic or Disco Sparkle.....

~Ross

dogmaw
2007-04-16, 9:05am
Now that is cool! If we don't have a local brewery, is there anywhere we can get the corks?

NightCat
2007-04-16, 9:35am
Now that is cool! If we don't have a local brewery, is there anywhere we can get the corks? That was a verbal "typo". I meant to say, "at the local brewing supply shop"... Just check your phone book. I do not know if Homebrewing beer & wine is legal everywhere, but it is legal everywhere I've ever been.

~R

whispering beads
2007-04-16, 10:22am
Great video...I enjoyed it very much....I forgot my password so I didnt make a comment yet...but will....when I remember it........lol......
Its nice to see different techniques used with implosions...yours seems nice and simple yet with a beautiful flower as the outcome...I will try this one...
thanks

WeeMary
2007-04-16, 12:15pm
Thanks, I've been trying to visualise implosions, that helps a lot!

e. mort
2007-04-16, 3:53pm
Well, at least a couple of people thought it was cool.... Thank-you.

I'm not sure what I expected. I was hoping my comment "forgotten in two days" would be figurative, not literal. Maybe I posted this in the wrong sub-forum?

I guess I will just have to try harder on the next one. Maybe something with dichroic or Disco Sparkle.....

~Ross

I am having problem joining U-tube so I can rate it. I think my firewall is messing with it which is wierd because I can view it ok.

NightCat
2007-04-16, 4:22pm
I am having problem joining U-tube so I can rate it. I think my firewall is messing with it which is wierd because I can view it ok.If you do manage to join you should video some of your work. I would love to see it! I'll help if I can, but I am all Mac and I don't know how to pull it together on a PC, so depending on your platform I may not be able to help...

~R

e. mort
2007-04-16, 5:41pm
If you do manage to join you should video some of your work. I would love to see it! I'll help if I can, but I am all Mac and I don't know how to pull it together on a PC, so depending on your platform I may not be able to help...

~R

I am ashamed to admit it, but I don't have a working video camera anymore.

killerbeedz1
2007-06-04, 10:11pm
Just watched the video. Very nice tutorial. Thanks for sharing! I gave it 5 stars.

bead crazy
2007-06-10, 2:51pm
Ross I have to say I have watched everyone of you videos I love them all I have learned so much from you. Do you ever do classes? I don't think you are far from me aren't you downtown Portland?

NightCat
2007-06-11, 9:08am
Ross I have to say I have watched everyone of you videos I love them all I have learned so much from you. Do you ever do classes? I don't think you are far from me aren't you downtown Portland?
I am in Corvallis. I updated my profile so the city now shows. I am just finishing up an eight week course in intermediate beadmaking at the OSU Craft center. I have been doing an eight week class every quarter for two years including a shorter class summer term. I have decide to take a break from teaching at least for the summer. I am not sure what I am going to do next fall. Right now I am so far behind with everything I am just about to lose my mind.... I did just, as in this weekend, finish remodeling my studio so I should be up and running again this week. I should post some pictures.

If you want to take borosilicate classes I can highly recommend Matt & Misha at Eugene Rain (http://www.eugenerain.com/). They are now in Portland but they were in Eugene as the name implies. Misha posts here as pyrochixrock. Super talented and super nice folks.

There has to be a million bead teachers in Portland. Check ORBS (http://www.theorbs.org/). I belong to ORBS but I have yet to make a meeting. I doubt they even know I exist and I am OK with that.

Take care and Live Long, Live Crafty.
~R