Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : To get better customer service.....

mikefrantz
2007-04-14, 8:20pm
The following ideas have nothing to do with Frantz Art Glass, what I am sharing with you is how I deal with customer service problems between me and a company that has not given me the service I require. What I would like to talk about is how to get the best customer service when you have a problem. Always document the time, the date and who you spoke to, first and last name and their position in the company their extension and email address. For good measure send an email back to that employee you spoke with, giving them the facts as exact as you can. Your email may have information that you ommited while speaking on the phone. Your email is very important, do not delete it from your computer.

Problems can take hours, sometimes days, weeks or longer to resolve. If your problem is urgent, make sure they know that the problem must be dealt with now, but if it is not time sensitive, allow the business to do all the research that is required. I have done customer service research and it can take some time. Pulling records, talking to employees or waiting to hear back from UPS or US Mail, generally takes longer than anyone wants it to take.

If you are not emailed or called back within 5 working days, you will need to step it up and speak to a manager. Before you get off the telephone ask that person if they will call you back by a certain time and let you know what is happening, even if nothing is happening.

A customer with a problem has a better chance of getting 100% satisfaction if they remain calm and cool on the phone. Customer service employees want to help you.

Mike Frantz

glassworks
2007-04-14, 10:57pm
well said - and good advice indeed... and i am not the most patient person in the world so it is worth reminding to keep a cool head and let the customer service rep help you by just doing their job!

[-o<

PixieFireBeads
2007-04-15, 9:00am
Customer service is not a dead art like some people would like to believe. And while it's nice that you have a protocol for your customers it would be nice if your staff actually act concerned when they are contacted.

Sorry, Mike, I just needed to make that observation.

infernoglassbeads
2007-04-15, 10:27am
If you are not emailed or called back within 5 working days, you will need to step it up and speak to a manager. Before you get off the telephone ask that person if they will call you back by a certain time and let you know what is happening, even if nothing is happening.

A customer with a problem has a better chance of getting 100% satisfaction if they remain calm and cool on the phone. Customer service employees want to help you.

Mike Frantz

While probably just a poor choice of words, the phrase I bolded really rubs me the wrong way. As a customer, I am not the one who needs to "step it up."

I definitely agree with the last paragraph, but good customer service doesn't let it get to the point that the customer is at the point of yelling and being pissed.

This post makes it seem like your tossing customer service into the laps of the customer...Asking for understanding is one thing, but asking us to take "responsibility" is entirely another.

Peach Blossom Beads
2007-04-15, 10:30am
The woman I spoke to last time I ordered was ABSOLUTELY amazing! I take forever to order then I need to make changes, then more changes. If I had a ton of $$ I wouldn't have to do that. Well, she was toally patient, kept sending me updated invoices, and was just all around wonderful. No sense of humor, whatsoever, but still wonderful.

I do hope it's always that way. Annie above has apparently had issues. Everyone should act accordingly when we're trying to get an issue resolved. We're artist, hence we're testy, esp when it comes to getting our glass! lol! :biggrin:

That phrase above bothered me too. Why should we have to step it up and talk to a manager? Can you explain your reasoning? The person we're dealing with should do their job!

Blueflameart
2007-04-15, 10:31am
After reading that I would say it's way to one sided IMHO.

I would say on the first call yes, give the vendor a chance, see how the "problem" is handled, give the company a chance to save ME as a paying customer or give me 100% satisfaction as you said... on the 2nd call I would recommend that you jump their shit and let them/him/her know that you are not satisfied ... on the 3rd call ask for the owner and demand a refund!

There is no protocol in customer service. You ( the vendors ) are taking my cash and by god if there is a problem I don't see a 2nd call, a call back nor a returned call would be a problem solver. UPS/Mail/and anything else within the equation IS your problem. It's your tools to satisfy me, the customer.

Please do reread if this catches you off guard. I created and ran a Technologies Firm's internal (55) and external (whoknows 4000+?) call support center and there are no excuses when it comes to customer service. Just bending over backwards to correct it with a very sincere apology. PERIOD! Anything else is an excuse and a slap across their face to your customer.

This is directed at any business owner, in any market place, so don't take it as a blast to Mike please.

mikefrantz
2007-04-15, 1:06pm
Customer service is not a dead art like some people would like to believe. And while it's nice that you have a protocol for your customers it would be nice if your staff actually act concerned when they are contacted.

Sorry, Mike, I just needed to make that observation.

What I wrote about was the way I deal with a problem if I had one with another company.

mikefrantz
2007-04-15, 1:27pm
While probably just a poor choice of words, the phrase I bolded really rubs me the wrong way. As a customer, I am not the one who needs to "step it up."

I definitely agree with the last paragraph, but good customer service doesn't let it get to the point that the customer is at the point of yelling and being pissed.

This post makes it seem like your tossing customer service into the laps of the customer...Asking for understanding is one thing, but asking us to take "responsibility" is entirely another.

I am not telling you how to deal with Frantz Art Glass. What I said was this is the way I deal with companies when I do not get satisfaction.

mikefrantz
2007-04-15, 1:45pm
The woman I spoke to last time I ordered was ABSOLUTELY amazing! I take forever to order then I need to make changes, then more changes. If I had a ton of $$ I wouldn't have to do that. Well, she was toally patient, kept sending me updated invoices, and was just all around wonderful. No sense of humor, whatsoever, but still wonderful.

I do hope it's always that way. Annie above has apparently had issues. Everyone should act accordingly when we're trying to get an issue resolved. We're artist, hence we're testy, esp when it comes to getting our glass! lol! :biggrin:

That phrase above bothered me too. Why should we have to step it up and talk to a manager? Can you explain your reasoning? The person we're dealing with should do their job!

Thank you for telling me about your good experience with Frantz Art Glass, but if you want somebody with a sense of humor, my extension is 206. From time to time I have had problems with other companies and I will use the telephone and state my problem and sometimes it is resolved right there. Other times the problem does not get solved quickly or it might be highly complicated and speaking to a manager or owner might resolve my issues. When I am asking to speak to a manager or the owner I am taking it to a new level and sometimes this is all that is needed.

mike frantz

Peach Blossom Beads
2007-04-15, 3:03pm
Mike:
Ok, I get it now. I think in your first post you should have stated that you weren't talking about Frantz, but about customer service in general. You would have had TOATLLY different responses!

I do what you stated to do, including speaking to someone higher up and a lot of times I don't wait 5 days - there are times when I can tell I'm getting NO WHERE speaking to the person I'm speaking to.

I'm always calm and cool, too, b/c I know it works. However, there are times when you have to make a scene or a big stink and threaten b/c some companies just don't bother to help otherwise. Matter of fact, I had to do this recently - I wasn't threatening, just stating the next step I had to take and let me tell you, it worked. I was getting NO WHERE before that and the company was being completely unreasonable and rediculous. Long story short - had maintenance on my car and had to bring it back 5 times, not to mention they chrged me $600 for a part that should have been wanrrantied. (still trying to get my money back.)
This all makes me sound like an idiot, but I'm not and none of it was my fault.

Anyway, thanks for the post. Maybe you should edit it to say it's not about Frantz.

mikefrantz
2007-04-15, 3:12pm
Thank you for your suggestion. I have edited my first post. Hopefully my edit will not confuse anyone after reading the other posts.

mike f

PixieFireBeads
2007-04-15, 3:12pm
What I wrote about was the way I deal with a problem if I had one with another company.

I didn't understand that from you post.

mikefrantz
2007-04-15, 3:36pm
I thought I explained myself, but can see why I failed to properly communicate. I see why anyone might think I was talking about how to deal with customer service problems at Frantz Art Glass.

I would like to hold Frantz to the highest standards in customer service. I think everyone deserves to be called back ASAP or at least within 24 hours if it is a complicated matter and within an hour or two if it is simple like missing glass.

Frantz Art Glass is taking BIG steps in changing the culture at Frantz Art Glass.

mike f

infernoglassbeads
2007-04-15, 4:31pm
I am not telling you how to deal with Frantz Art Glass. What I said was this is the way I deal with companies when I do not get satisfaction.

I actually have never had a problem with Frantz, nor was I even thinking of whether you were talking about it...I was responding to your ideas and your words. I would have responded the same if any one else had typed those exact words.

It doesn't matter if a company is selling gizmos, gadgets or glass, it is NOT the customer's responsibility to ensure good customer service. I think part of the problem is that the Internet has made faceless, and now,voiceless, communication so easy, it has become more commonplace to ignore people with a complaint (this is in general--I am NOT talking about Frantz in any way!!!)

A lot of problems can easily be handled and/or prevented by a simple answer, one way or the other. I had a pefect order come from another vendor--everything I ordered, no mistakes, but I emailed them a follow-up question...and tried again when I got no response...never heard back...I will not be ordering from them again even though they made no mistakes on my original order.

sunnyone
2007-04-15, 4:31pm
wow..I have had nothing but stellar customer service from anyone at Frantz...and I do buy quite a bit of glass!

I think you're great Mike!

crystal

SadiesJewels
2007-04-17, 8:32pm
I have to put in a plug for Monica here (hope that's her name) - she must be your most stellar employee ... polite, helpful beyond the call of duty and totally knowledgable when I placed an order time before last. I was almost inclined to ask for her personally when I next called. I placed my order and after two weeks and no deduction from my bank account or glass at my door I called back and spoke to a very nice and contrite Stacey who promptly sorted out the problem and had the order on my doorstep within 3 days!

I have only praise for your customer service - what could have been a problem with my last order was politely and coolly sorted out and promptly solved. I wish all orders with all companies were solved this way but it is not so.

If all your employees were educated about the stock to the level of Monica (boy can she describe a color beyond how nice it is) and with the knowledge of the ordering system like Stacey ( who had to delve into the ordering system to discover where things had gone wrong) your company would receive the highest accolades for customer service.

Sadie

Starrr
2007-04-19, 2:30am
I also have to chime in about great customer service from Frantz, (and I knew that this wasn't what the post was about).

My first phone order sealed the deal for me. I had never even seen a person make a bead and my only knowledge of what I needed to purchased was by the extensive reading I had done on the ISGB board.

When I called Frantz I told them that I wasn't sure if I was ordering the correct items, I had a pretty big list, I was switched over to whom I later found out was Mike. He went through my list with me, and to my surprise, had no problem telling me, "Nope, you don't need that", " Yeah, that's really not necessary", " Save you money, this will work instead". That's a business owner who is not looking to make a quick buck, but realizes even his inexperienced customers are an investment, I was impressed.

Then there was Jed, same ole laid back, helpful attitude. I can't tell you how many stupid questions I must have asked him over the years and never once did he make me feel stupid for asking.

I agree with Sadie on telephone customer service, seriously, these chicks know their colors, and they aren't afraid to tell you that you *might* not be happy if you are looking for a certain tone you are asking for, and they have no problem if it's a new glass color saying "hang on, let me go look". I've always had the feeling that they deal with everyone on a one to one basis and this makes it very comfortable to call in an order.

What I don't like, and this really isn't anything that can be solved or anyone's fault is that I live so far away on the East Coast. I don't get a chance to see the really limited glass that only the walk in customers have an opportunity to try.

What's not to be happy with?

Edie

KristiB
2007-04-20, 12:51pm
Well, I happen to agree with Mike. It IS your responsibility as a consumer to get the service you deserve and take a complaint to the next level if you're not satisfied.

Imagine being a business owner thinking your employee's are doing their job, handling problems correctly, giving great customer service, etc. Unless the business chooses to monitor the incoming customer service calls, they have no way of knowing there are unsatisfied customers out there.

If you don't try and take it to the next level you really DON'T know what sort of customer service that company has. If the company makes it right, takes care of the problem, then they obviously feel the way you did. If they don't, then I guess you know not to do business with them again.

As a manager of a department, I "think" I know how my employees are handling external customers, but without feedback (good or bad) from the customers I really don't know.

Kristi

Speaking of customer service. I just placed an online order with a company in NY for various sports items. The order came to $448.00. I was asked to choose a shipping method. I wanted to see how much 2nd day air was so I clicked and it showed a total shipping charge of $42.50. I thought that was a pretty good deal so I completed the order and got an email order confirmation. The next day I began wondering if I had ordered a specific item. I returned to the website, logged on and checked my order. The order status said "FRAUD". WTF???? I sent an email to the customer service department asking what the problem was. I recieved a PHONE CALL the next morning at 6AM telling me that any order over $400 automatically goes into "FRAUD" status until the order is verfied (WTF??) So he verified that I wanted the order and told me it would ship out that day. Fastforward 2 days. I get home from work and there is a message on my answering machine telling me that the shipping charges are $84.69 and do I really want to pay that. If I didn't call back within 48 hours it would be shipped out ground. WTF??? So I called them back and ALMOST told them to "shove" the order where the sun don't shine, but I was nice and told them to ship it ground. To me, that was horrible service.
1) The order shouldn't be visible to the customer in a "fraud" status
2) They shouldn't offer shipping choices if the system can't calculate them correctly.
3) Customer service should have looked at the location of the customer BEFORE calling me at 6 AM.
4) they should have verified the shipping charges when they called instead of waiting two days after they said it would SHIP to let me know there was a descrepancy.

I will be writing a letter to the company about this, but I will probably not order from them again..

Glasswytch
2007-05-07, 8:00pm
Having just come off 2 years in Customer Service, Mike is absolutely correct. The customer does have to bear some of the responsiblity. Always take notes, have the invoice or whatever at hand, have your questions lined up. And please remember that it is a human on the other line.

On the other hand, when the vendor blows you off or does not do what has been promised a little assertiveness does wonders :)

Gloria

ps-you would be amazed at how many people do not know what a time zone is.