Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Fish scale tutorial?

tabriz
2007-04-17, 8:03am
Hi,
I'm trying to learn how to do a fish scale bead. The book starts with a tube shaped bead, and it actually stays tube shaped until the end. Mine doesn't. Can anyone help? Any Utube videos out there?

Thanks
Lee

shawnette
2007-04-17, 8:15am
You have to melt in slowly and reshape after each layer.

http://www.cauldroncreations.com/fishscale.html

swamper
2007-04-17, 8:29am
Yeah, mine always end up looking like pears - small at the beginning and big at the bottom - oh wait, that's a description of me.

tabriz
2007-04-17, 1:52pm
LOL, yeah, me too. Maybe pear shaped people are genetically incapable of fish scale beads!

Thank you for the link, Shawnette. That's what I'm supposedly doing, but even melting slowly, the shape changes. Especially if I'm starting with a long barrel type bead. It won't stay barrel shaped.

Help?

Lee

Donna T.
2007-04-17, 6:33pm
Whenever someone sees mine they say it looks like an artichoke!!! I haven't really tried to keep it tube shaped, I like the artichoke shape.

x_phoenician
2007-04-17, 7:22pm
Try adding more glass at the top of your base bead and tapering down. Maybe that'll help you keep from getting the pear shape (it's what I do on mine).

tabriz
2007-04-19, 8:35am
Hey, that worked pretty well!! Thank you!

Lee

Try adding more glass at the top of your base bead and tapering down. Maybe that'll help you keep from getting the pear shape (it's what I do on mine).

zact01
2011-02-25, 6:28pm
hiya all. sorry to bug on this one. i know ive seen a vid on how to do this but for the life of me i cant find it again. can anyone help ?

thanks

zac

dianeconroy
2011-02-26, 3:35pm
I have looked for the video and I can't find it either. I have looked at both tutorials and the one I have used with success is the Cauldren Creations one that starts with a round bead. Add 5-6 dots close to the mandrel (Small). Use a color diferent from your base I have used a colored trans. base and white for my base dots. Then added a colored trans on the whte dot. The dots on the ends should be smaller because they have less area/ circumference to cover, slightly larger towrd the center, then smaller again as you get to the other end. If you are using the tube method, I think you would have to be careful to keep the dots all the same size, if they got bigger that would cause the the cone shape. Maybe you could start with a slight cone shape and have the larger end towrd your starting side? Not sure if I was much help but I'll keep looking for that video....

zact01
2011-02-27, 6:25am
well thanks anyway mate. it was worth a try