Google

PDA

View Full Interactive Version Of This Page : Butterfly implosion?

Janel
2007-05-02, 12:20am
Was wondering if anyone knows how to implode a butterfly like you can with flowers. Thank you.

Christopher Rice
2007-05-02, 10:35am
It's bascially the same as making a flower, only with the body down the center. And you would use only 4 lines to make the wings, two larger ones at the head, and two smaller ones towards the back of the flutterby. I wrote an article for Profitable Glass quite a while ago and it still hasn't come out, I think they are supposed to print it this spring, hope this helps. I'll try to find out when the article is coming out.
-chris

madnesssr
2007-05-02, 11:08am
Chris, Those are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

country kid
2007-05-02, 11:16am
Hi Chris
Could you maybe draw a picture of which way the lines go, and where to place them on the maria (I think that's the right word)
Thanks Kare

Christopher Rice
2007-05-02, 12:54pm
Let's see if this works......
-chris

Toni L.
2007-05-02, 1:03pm
Oooh I'm gonna try! Thanks Chris!!

country kid
2007-05-02, 1:12pm
Thanks Chris how nice of you to go to the extra work of drawing us a picture I would be on my torch right now if I didn't have to leave for work in about a minute
Kare

CalamitysClan
2007-05-02, 1:36pm
Wow Chris. Wow. Oh I said that already but Wow. That was very kind of you to put up the drawing. Thanks.

jknappcampbell
2007-05-02, 6:08pm
Way cool. I've never seenthose before. They're beautiful.
Jill

Feldt's Glass
2007-05-02, 7:11pm
Wow!! Very cool thanks for sharing!

Janel
2007-05-02, 8:19pm
Thank you soooooooo much! I am so excited to give this a try.

Christopher Rice
2007-05-03, 3:34am
Make sure you all post pics of your finished marbles or pendants, I want to see!!! And your most welcome, good luck, let me know if you have more questions!
-chris

Dasi
2007-05-03, 5:22am
Thank you for your post. That looks like something new and fun to try!!!
I voted 5*. Your work is really beautiful!!

jana
2007-05-03, 5:39am
Do you lay down all the components at one time, or do you implode one section for a little bit, then lay down another?

bubblebabeuk
2007-05-03, 7:41am
Wow thats so cool of you to share this tut! Those marbles are AMAZING!

Afterdark
2007-05-03, 8:11am
Holy Molly you marble people have incredible talent! Beautiful!

Christopher Rice
2007-05-03, 6:10pm
I do all the components at the same time. All this talk inspired me to make one today, thought I would share. I want to see some pics of yours!!
-chris

http://cnyglass.com/Quickstart/ImageLib/ybg.jpg (http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=002&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=120116276801&rd=1&rd=1)

Janel
2007-05-03, 11:19pm
Those are soooooo beautifiul!!!! Beautiful Beautiful Beautiful!!!! Thank you again.

Heather/Ericaceae
2007-05-04, 12:20pm
Wow, Chris - thank you SO much for explaining that! I imagine it takes some practice to get them to turn out like yours do. :) But practicing will be fun!

country kid
2007-05-05, 3:13pm
Okay this is embarrassing but, I’m going to share anyway. Did someone say PRACTICE? I well need a lot of it! There is much that can go wrong from centering the body to not having perfectly smooth lines on the wing (the blue one my propane regulator was surging) …not imploding it enough, or too much, color choice (the reddish one is transparent when not against a black back ground. Well, you get it. Let’s see what the rest of you have come up with.
Kare

Heather/Ericaceae
2007-05-07, 3:00pm
Wow, Kare! The image is tiny but I can still definitely tell that those are some gorgeous butterflies! The blue one is my favorite.

Moth
2007-05-08, 8:32am
Thank you so much Chris, for sharing your technique. I definitely want to give this a go tonight. I will post pictures of them even if they don't turn out.

Take care.
~~Mary

tiggybubba
2007-05-08, 8:39am

Here is my first attempt. Next time I wont make the body colour the same as the background colour (DOH!)

Leslie

Christopher Rice
2007-05-08, 9:16am
Nice job you guys!! Keep them coming, my challenge today is to make one out of soft glass. I'll post some pics when it's done, this should be interesting!
-chris

Toni L.
2007-05-08, 11:09am
Well here is my first attempt...

not too bad I think! When I have asked people what they think it is, they have all said BUTTERFLY!!! :D

More practice time this week!!
:love:

Christopher Rice
2007-05-08, 1:46pm
That looks awesome!!! Great work!
-chris

Moth
2007-05-09, 6:30am
Here's the one I tried last night. Not great, it'll take some practice, but it was really fun to do. Now that I understand what to expect a little better I can't wait to try more.

Thanks again for sharing!

~~Mary

Christopher Rice
2007-05-09, 6:54am
Now that's a cool one too. Great job, you all should be psyched! A little practice can go a long way. I still have to post pics of my first attempt at a soft glass marble. I'm so excited to be working in soft glass now, lots of new things to learn!!
-chris

country kid
2007-05-09, 1:25pm
Good to some other peoples pics. First time people? Really? You're good!
Leslie Love the warm summer colors
Toni Nice swirl reminds me of the art of the 60s-70s
Mary Cool great depth did you use a latacino?
Kare

richsantaclaus
2007-05-12, 9:44pm
What fun this was!!!!!

My question for you is...

It looks like a flower bottom! How can one stop the butterfly from going down so far to the bottom? Look at the side view to see what I mean. Also, the back parts of the wing stayed below the big wing? Any suggestions? A third problem was the body, it sunk down and looks bent inward? Help!

Thanks for your help - wish you lived next door!...lol

mixednut
2007-05-12, 10:11pm
Chris that is so nice to share I have never seen these before I will try one. I am amazed at your beauty and the color schemes WOW!

Mr. Smiley
2007-05-13, 5:04am
Chris... you rock man. No other way to word it. Thanks for posting and helping these us out. I've admired your work for a long time... Now I've gotta try one too. :D

Bob Torbett
2007-05-13, 8:54pm
Chris... Those are fantastic. Like Brent said "You Rock Man".

What glass are you using for those? They are so clear and vibrant colors.

Gwood
2007-05-14, 6:45am
This is the first time that I have uploaded an image. I am having a hard time getting a size that is small enough to upload. My camera is nor slouch but I am having an awful time with focus.

Well this is my first attempt of a Butterfly implosion. This is soft glass.
Thanks for the diagram.

Christopher Rice
2007-05-14, 6:53am
Thanks alot you guys, I appreciate the comments!! And thanks for posting those pics, looks like you are all doing well!! I've been in touch with Profitable Glass and they have recently teamed up with The Flow magazine, so this how to is going to be in the next issue. Be sure to check it out, it will have pics and a more in depth description. Thanks again, off to work!
-chris

richsantaclaus
2007-05-14, 9:22pm
Any suggestions Chris about my questions?

Christopher Rice
2007-05-15, 2:52am
I always forget about the questions, sorry for that. Let's see, I'm not sure if there is a way to make them without the flower look, I've never tried any other way. With this implosion style marble, I think it will always look that way. As for the other question, did you pull the center of the disc at all? It sounds like you may have pulled it towards the end and that would have made it pull everything to the bottom. If not, you may have not melted it in straight. Sometimes if some parts are heated more than others they will implode faster. They will take some practice to get them perfect, it took me almost a year until I was completely happy with them. Hope this helps, keep your eyes out for the next Flow!
-chris

Christopher Rice
2007-05-15, 2:53am
Oh ya, and I'm using boro for these here, Simax clear.
-chris

richsantaclaus
2007-05-15, 3:14pm
Thanks - I'll try again! I am using soft glass - maybe that's the problem!

KTO
2007-05-15, 6:16pm
Chis - This is what make LE such a wonderful place!!! Thanks for sharing with, inspiring, and encouraging so many people.

Now I'm off to the torch to play. I'll post some picks soon.

P.S. I agree YOU ROCK!!!!

richsantaclaus
2007-05-15, 9:53pm
Hey Chris - I tried another one tonight - I'll post it tomorrow for your evaluation. I altered the implosion a bit to try not to make my marble look like an altered flower implosion - I'd love to hear what you think of it tomorrow Chris. You have inspired me SO much - thanks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LaurieBSmith
2007-05-16, 7:48am
Oh Chris....thank you for being so generous and sharing this technique.....wow, beautiful beads!

richsantaclaus
2007-05-16, 4:32pm
Here it is Chirs and everyone - my 2nd attempt at the butterfly marble using soft glass. To try and stop the flower implosion look, I made a base of white for the little critter to sit upon. I'd love your comments please. I think the body got alot flatter than the first attempt and the antanne is alot better too in my opinion. The lower wings came up alot higher than the first one too.

Rich

Otter's Flame
2007-05-17, 2:46am
Thanks for the great tutorial. Here is one of the first ones I did. I have done several more and they are turning out nice.

http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i119/Otters_Flame/bfly2.jpg

Christopher Rice
2007-05-17, 4:09am
Wow oh wow, great job you guys!! So glad to see these turning out! Rich, way to go on the base of yours, may I make a suggestion? It looks like the base of your fly started to flare out, maybe next time, you can flatten the base with a paddle, then wrap your white or another base color to the bottom? This way the end will tuck up underneath the butterfly and it might hide it more. It looks great, just a suggestion. Keep them pics coming!
-chris

jethro
2007-05-17, 10:14am
alright heres my third attempt...the first looked like a clover...the second a demented fairy...and this one is kinda close but hey im a total noob so try not to beat me up too bad.:hide:

richsantaclaus
2007-05-17, 2:37pm
Thanks Chris - I wish you were my next door neighbor!...lol

Amethyst_briolette
2007-05-21, 10:18am
It's bascially the same as making a flower, only with the body down the center. And you would use only 4 lines to make the wings, two larger ones at the head, and two smaller ones towards the back of the flutterby. I wrote an article for Profitable Glass quite a while ago and it still hasn't come out, I think they are supposed to print it this spring, hope this helps. I'll try to find out when the article is coming out.
-chris

OMG, the second one is a glassgasm.. =D> WOW.. I have never seen anything like that, ever! Where can we purchase one? Didn't see anything for sale on the website.

Christopher Rice
2007-05-21, 3:00pm
Briolette, I sent you a PM. Thanks for the compliments!
-chris

NightCat
2007-05-21, 3:17pm
Hey Chris. What yellow are you using? I have a hard time keeping my yellow from bubbling.
Ross

e. mort
2007-05-23, 9:10am
I have to recommend the sunshine yellow and sunset orange from Momka. I don't have any boiling issues with either one of them.

Christopher Rice
2007-05-24, 5:09am
I like to use Momka's sunshine yellow, and GA's Rasta gold. They seem to work best for me.
-chris

NightCat
2007-05-24, 6:10am
Thank-You Eric and Chris. I will put some of those colors on my next order. It will be nice to have something that works a little better.
~R

Christopher Rice
2007-05-29, 12:18pm
Here's a pair of goblets I made the other day with some butterfly marbles in them. I would like to do alot more of these, but they don't always move as fast. If I could get off my butt, I would like to market these to wedding couples, or planners, I've just never pursued the idea. One of these days I will get around to it. I make quite a few for people, I can even etch their names and dates into them if they so choose. Too many things to make, not enough time!! Thanks again for looking!
-chris

http://images.etsy.com/all_images/0/0ff/a35/il_430xN.8268861.jpg (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6073624)

gmkcpa
2007-06-18, 7:40pm
My face lit up when I saw your red and yellow butterfly.... because...
I've been working on a flower in a marble for many months. Getting the petals all the same size is difficult, but my big problem is in attaching a cold punty to the center of the maria, and then pulling the center down to form a cone. When I saw your butterfly from the side it looked to me like you got a nice even pull. Sometimes only half of the face of my punty (8-9 mm rod) sticks to the center of the maria, and then when I pull it down it doesn't come down evenly. Can you advise me? (Isn't this fun?)

Blueflameart
2007-06-19, 12:06pm
http://www.glassline.net/ ----- Look at the cover.

Phoenix
2007-06-19, 12:12pm
http://www.glassline.net/ ----- Look at the cover.

look at that= looks good!

country kid
2007-07-13, 4:44pm
Hi Ya'll
Anyone see the most recent "The Flow" Magazine? Page 80-83 has Chris Rice's butterfly implosion tutorial.
Great tut Chris! Way to go! \\:D/
I've tried it before but it's much more clear now, so tomarrow is show time.
Thanks for being there for all of us Chris :-D
Kare

Rhapsody Fire Beads
2007-07-13, 5:07pm
Here's a pair of goblets I made the other day with some butterfly marbles in them. I would like to do alot more of these, but they don't always move as fast. If I could get off my butt, I would like to market these to wedding couples, or planners, I've just never pursued the idea. One of these days I will get around to it. I make quite a few for people, I can even etch their names and dates into them if they so choose. Too many things to make, not enough time!! Thanks again for looking!
-chris

http://images.etsy.com/all_images/0/0ff/a35/il_430xN.8268861.jpg (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=6073624)

Fantastic!!!!

hulagirl
2007-07-18, 6:28am
*sigh*
I REALLY need to take a marble class.

country kid
2007-07-19, 3:52pm
Hi All
So here is my latest butterfly implosion. You can't see the antennas in the pic, but there pretty good.

Kare

Troll Lover
2007-11-13, 9:32am
Wow, great one!!!

Glasstastic Treasures
2007-11-14, 7:49pm
wow, I'm trying to to keep my jaw shut, but it just keeps popping open again.

Wow.....*drop*

Glasstastic Treasures
2007-11-15, 5:06am
Good morning everyone. I was looking through the threads for a floral marble tut, and found one, but the link listed no longer works. I've been searching, but with no luck, I was wondering if anyone knew of a link or maybe an old tutorial on them. I've never made one before and would love to try.

Would marble beads also be considered "off mandrel"?

jjglass
2007-11-15, 7:22am
Video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UsmpIWiXlVo

Tut:
http://www.theflowmagazine.com/tut1.htm

Glasstastic Treasures
2007-11-15, 7:32am
awesome, you rock JJ.

I think your kitty's a little cranky today. He needs some milk!! Hey, check out this website: www.icanhascheezburger.com if you heart kitties!!

jjglass
2007-11-15, 9:01am
No problems Jamie. He's not cranky, he's on a glass jihad :)

Glasstastic Treasures
2007-11-15, 6:08pm
I feel like that at work some days, haha!!

LAG
2007-11-18, 9:34am
check these out... http://glassbysabina.com/portfolio/marbles.html

Sabina is a friend of mine and I remember when she started doing these at an event at Momka's.. I believe she won 1st place at a flame-off last year in Oregon... I watched her make these... And Chris, yours, too, are real pieces of art..

jgraff
2007-11-19, 9:54pm
I had to give this a try even though my implosions have been iffy and I have no clue how to get the maria off the mandrel (my cold punties don't stay cold). I used an EDP encased in black for the wings and an yellow dotted with orange for the tail. I put the whole thing on a 10mm clear moretti because my hothead has a tendancy to melt the punty faster than the implosion. It worked better than my other attempts but I think I fried the clear a bit waiting for the 10mm to melt enough. My butterfly was elongating so I stuck some clear underneath it and pushed it up. It looks to me that if I had enough patience I could have kept heating and marving until I got the butterly pushed into the middle of the bead.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2032/2049395274_84b5396b72_o.jpg

Glasstastic Treasures
2007-11-20, 9:39am
It looks almost like the black spread, because it appears to be almost the same color as the purple, only transparent.

But what a great job!! I'm too afraid to try....

perlienne
2007-11-20, 11:30am
never seen such a thing- they are beautiful!!!
lost in admiration
(and thanks for sharing)

FiredDesires
2007-11-24, 12:55pm
I've tried a couple of these and the wings are just waay too thick, I want them thin and delicate....any suggestions? I've tried 1mm stringers too, and they still come out thick, maybe I'm mashing them flat before the implode?

jesscause
2008-02-16, 3:07pm
whats the trick to get the butterfly more 3d looking? I did a couple and I don't think I have that concept down completely!

country kid
2008-02-17, 5:08pm
Practice! :waving: Don't push the rod down to hard on the marver...a little more than just resting it might help.

Here is one I did in around November as you can see the more you do the better it gets

Kare

greenglasscafe
2008-02-17, 8:23pm
Oh wow.. now this is something really amazing. I love them!!!

Glasstastic Treasures
2008-02-22, 12:47pm
I can't wait to try these. Very pretty! Thanks Kare!

jesscause
2008-02-22, 9:07pm
Do you have a tip to make it more 3-d??

Maro
2008-03-07, 4:06pm
I'm new to this forum, so not sure if I'm responding correctly.
Chris your butterfly implosion is so beautiful. You said you were going to try same thing in soft glass. did you? Are there any pics? I haven't worked with boro yet and hae been trying to do implosions in soft glass--nut much sucess though....do you know of a good tutorial or video clip of an implosiono bead???

Chau Nguyen T
2008-03-09, 5:34pm
youtube.com has implosion flower but i dont remember who did that tut very impressive.

voic
2008-04-10, 10:07am
Wow! I just found this tut. Very beautiful work! I was wondering how did you made the third marble, the one with the butterfly on top of the flower. Very nice!